Elija2 recommends some manga

Started by Elija2, February 10, 2014, 07:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elija2

Since Haku is a lazy weirdo who hates reading I'm gonna start to only read manga with anime adaptations, even if the anime is worse than the manga.

Planetes
Haunted by a space flight accident that claimed the life of his beloved wife, Yuri finds himself six years later as part of a team of debris cleaners on a vessel called the Toy Box charged with clearing space junk from space flight paths. The team consists of Hachimaki, a hot shot debris-man with a sailor's affinity for the orbital ocean; Fee, a chain-smoking tomboy beauty with an abrasive edge; and Pops, a veteran orbital mechanic whose avuncular presence soothes the stress of the job.

This manga is pretty good. The characters are very well done and it explores a couple interesting themes. I can easily recommend the manga, but I hear the anime takes a few liberties by introducing new characters and themes. I think the ending is different too so it's probably worse than the manga. It can't be that bad though.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Elija2 on September 29, 2014, 06:11:50 AM
Since Haku is a lazy weirdo who hates reading I'm gonna start to only read manga with anime adaptations, even if the anime is worse than the manga.
Don't do that, please
It'll tear me up inside.
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: Hakudamashi on September 29, 2014, 06:16:10 AM
Don't do that, please
It'll tear me up inside.

Look, someone has to read all this manga I'm recommending and you're the only one who's even slightly interested in doing it.

I hope you enjoy watching 9 hours of anime instead of reading 5 hours of a superior manga.

jkid101094

Quote from: Elija2 on September 29, 2014, 06:20:36 AM
Look, someone has to read all this manga I'm recommending
No one has to read your shitty comic books.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Elija2

Solanin
Meiko and Taneda graduated from university two years ago. Having no real goals or direction, they step into society, clueless. Meiko works as an Office Lady to pay the rent for her apartment, while Taneda works as an illustrator in a press company, earning just enough to take some of Meiko's burden. While Taneda often meets up with his bandmates from their University days to jam, he still feels something is missing. His bandmates know what it is: they need to step out, promote themselves and let their songs be heard by a larger crowd; which has been their dream since their first meeting in their university's "Pop Music Club".

This was a pretty good slice of life. I really liked the art style of the characters. This manga got a live-action adaptation but I hear it's worse than the manga (I think this will be a recurring theme).

And if anyone was interested in my rankings of the manga I've read, here it is. I'll probably update this into the OP.

1. Saturn Apartments
2. Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer
3. The Music of Marie
4. Onani Master Kurosawa
5. Voices of a Distant Star
6. Planetes
7. Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms
8. Solanin
9. Uzumaki
10. Getenrou

And Haku, you haven't told me about what you thought of Voices of a Distant Star.

Elija2

5 Centimeters per Second
A tale of two people, Tono Takaki and Shinohara Akari, who were close friends but gradually grow farther and farther apart as time moves on. They become separated because of their families yet continue to exchange contact in the form of letters. Yet as time continues to trudge on, their contact with one another begins to cease. Years pass and the rift between them grows ever larger. However, Takaki remembers the times they have shared together, but as life continues to unfold for him, he wonders if he would be given the chance to meet Akari again as the tale embarks on Takaki's realization of the world and people around him.

This is another manga that was adapted from an OVA by Makoto Shinkai, the same guy that made Voices of a Distant Star. They both explore similar themes of long-distance love, but Voices of a Distant Star is more about trying to stay in contact while 5 Centimeters per Second is more about trying to move on. I think I like Voices of a Distant Star a bit more, but that may just be because 5 Centimeters' ending is more left open to interpretation. Either way, I recommend you read it (or watch it). I'm not sure what the differences between the OVA and manga are, but I'm sure they're both great. The OVA at least has Makoto Shinkai's amazing visuals.

TheRealSonic

U should read the light novel Sword Art Online and also watch the Anime

Elija2

Quote from: TheRealSonic on October 06, 2014, 03:07:05 PM
U should read the light novel Sword Art Online and also watch the Anime

Is it supposed to be based on an MMO or something?

Also no.

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: Elija2 on October 06, 2014, 04:34:28 PM
Is it supposed to be based on an MMO or something?

Also no.

What you should do is watch .hack//sign.

It's basically what Sword Art Online has been ripping off.
But what makes SAO popular and .hack//sign not, is the fact that the parts where .hack tries to be meaningful and deep, are replaced with explosions.

Elija2

What you should do is realize that this is a thread for manga and not anime.

Now read one of them, will ya?

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: Elija2 on October 06, 2014, 05:00:14 PM
What you should do is realize that this is a thread for manga and not anime.

Now read one of them, will ya?

Only if you read Necromancer.

Elija2

Quote from: Crystal Candy on October 06, 2014, 05:14:32 PM
Only if you read Necromancer.

I already did but I didn't like it so I stopped reading.

If you don't like any of the manga I posted you can stop reading it too but at least give them a try.

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: Elija2 on October 06, 2014, 05:18:56 PM
I already did but I didn't like it so I stopped reading.

Quote from: Elija2 on October 06, 2014, 05:18:56 PM
If you don't like any of the manga I posted you can stop reading it too but at least give them a try.

I might watch Planetes and 5 Centimeters per Second.

Elija2

Nobody here even reads manga anymore?