Elija2 recommends some manga

Started by Elija2, February 10, 2014, 07:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hakudamashi

Well your torrent isn't downloading.
I'll find a way around this somehow.
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: Hakudamashi on October 13, 2014, 12:40:14 PM
Well your torrent isn't downloading.
I'll find a way around this somehow.

Just use the download links to download volumes 4-7.

shadowDOESrock

IIIIIII... have seen this exact steampunk-y style somewhere before... I don't remember whereee...

But yeah, I have read through the Music of Marie.

Elija2

Thoughts? Better than Necromancer?

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: Elija2 on October 15, 2014, 10:42:29 AM
Thoughts? Better than Necromancer?

Okay, so, I wouldnt compare those from the get go. Completely different concepts.

Now, I really liked the first Volume. Everything was really intriguing. It gradually (sometimes not so subtly) introduced me to all the elements it had to offer. I... realllllly dont have to say a lot about Vol 1, aside from I liked it.

The second Volume is where it kinda... yeahhhhh
I understood what he was going for early on. Everything that happened afterwards just felt like needless hammering. It just... was a bit too much. All the visions...

Story and Characters. Kai. Fantastic character. I haven't seen someone exactly like this yet.
As for Pipiii... She's a good character but the fact that she speaks in third-person sometimes really urks me the wrong way, haha. The Supportive cast was good too.

Art was great, although it looked a bit off at certain panels early on, but majorly improved as it went on.

Honestly, I really do not have a lot to complain about this. Since you've read it, i dont have to thoroughly explain anything either

If I'd have to give a score... 8/10. Would've given it a 9, if it wasnt for the hammering.

Sorry about the lack of proper review, but this just one of those things where I'd just say 'It's really good, just check it out, trust me.'

Elija2

I never felt like the story was hammering in anything, but to each his own.

And you skipped the most important question: better than Necromancer?

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: Elija2 on October 15, 2014, 11:37:23 AM
I never felt like the story was hammering in anything, but to each his own.

It was only at the part where Kai asked why he has to turn the Key...
The whole reason was explained in two pages... then it went on with the visions and what not.
I know why the visions are there, since Kai didnt want to turn the Key. But for me as reader?

Quote from: Elija2 on October 15, 2014, 11:37:23 AM
And you skipped the most important question: better than Necromancer?

As I said, I do not find these compareable per-se. They don't really have anything in common, aside from being Manga. It'd be like comparing Attack on Titan to Ghost in the Shell. Sure, they're both good, but I can't compare 'em.

Elija2

Quote from: Crystal Candy on October 15, 2014, 11:43:51 AM
It was only at the part where Kai asked why he has to turn the Key...
The whole reason was explained in two pages... then it went on with the visions and what not.
I know why the visions are there, since Kai didnt want to turn the Key. But for me as reader?

I suppose I can understand where you're coming from.

Either way, Elija2 has great taste in manga confirmed. Now I just need to convince jkid to read something...

Elija2

Hey Haku, did you finish Saturn Apartments yet?

Hakudamashi

Sorry, was combatting a fatal disease called Chik V
It would've been the perfect time to read it, but I couldn't find it on my tablet.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Hey, I gotta worry about Ebola but I still find time to read manga!

And the link I posted earlier is pretty much the only place you'll find the last 4 volumes.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Elija2 on October 17, 2014, 01:24:46 PM
Hey, I gotta worry about Ebola but I still find time to read manga!
Except the reason this time wasn't time, I just couldn't get it on my tablet.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

I remembered a couple manga that I read years ago and decided to give my somewhat-foggy thoughts on them:

Battle Royale
In the future, random Jr. High School classes are chosen to compete in a game called Battle Royale. The rules: only one student can survive after 3 days on an island or else they all perish. Weapons are handed out and each student is sent out into the field alone and unprepared for the horror that awaits them. The classmates turn upon themselves in a battle for survival, treaties are made and broken, and former friends become foes as the relentless countdown continues. Amid the betrayals and rising body count, two classmates confess their love for each other and swear to survive this deadly game together.

I'm sure many of you have already read this but in case you haven't: Battle Royale is a very suspenseful manga with tons of good action. It is thoroughly enjoyable. It also got a critically-praised live-action film adaptation (although the movie was adapted from the book that this manga was adapted from).

Cat Street
The story centers around Keito Aoyama, a former famous child actress. Due to a childhood incident, she retired from her career early and withdrew from normal society. Now 16, she passes her days in boredom and without purpose. But one day she runs into a stranger who takes her to El Liston – a free school for high school students like herself, who don't have a place where they belong. Though hesitant at first, Keito decides to enter El Liston and subsequently, she begins a new stage in her life. With the help of her only remaining childhood friend, Taiyou, and her new classmates Rei, Momiji, and Kouichi, Keito slowly finds the courage to open up to others and to accept their support.

I don't know why but I read a lot of shoujo manga back in the day and out of all of them Cat Street was probably the best (although that might not be saying much). The characters were well-done and it avoids many (but not all) of the clichéd tropes that are common in shoujo manga. It also got a short live-action TV adaptation if you want to watch that for some crazy reason.

shadowDOESrock

Battle Royale.

All the ways.
Every way.

ALL THE RIP OFFS HOLY SHIT

Elija2

Out of curiosity I checked out the sequel to Battle Royale.

lol at the ears