Simpsons Guy: Now With 1% More Burgers

Started by jkid101094, August 10, 2014, 06:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkid101094

Am I the only one interested in this? Apparently we don't have a topic on it or, if we do, it doesn't have the proper title.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

I hope you're the only one interested in this because it looks horrible.

jkid101094

To be honest the only reason I still care about Family Guy is because Savannah loves the hell out of it. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the Simpsons, though.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

I have a soft spot for The Simpsons too, but they've been dragging along the zombified corpse of a once great show for too long.

jkid101094

I can't really say much to that considering I haven't watched any recent episodes since I was in 7th grade, but I recall the few that I've caught being at least mildly enjoyable. I guess I just have a higher "shit tolerance" than most people.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Every time I watch a recent episode I weep at how good the show used to be. The newer episodes aren't terrible, but compared to the early seasons there's just a huge drop in quality.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

So this was on today and I sat down with Savannah to watch it. Of course she was insufferable but regardless I still managed to watch the episode and get the gist of it.

I was going to do a full fledged review type thing but then I got side tracked when I found out that the two had actually crossed over in the past before so I lost my train of thought. Either way I found the episode pretty enjoyable. It favored Family Guy a lot (especially during the final fight) but a Simpsons fan like me could still get a kick out of all the references to both shows. Really all it was was 30 - 40 minutes of fan service for fans of both series strung together by a pretty shoe horned plot. At least Matt was smart enough not to let Seth leak his humor all over the episode though. There some out of place jokes, sure, but 90% of them didn't feel out of place in a Simpsons episode.

Speaking of it being a Simpsons episode the thing that bothered me most is that well...it wasn't. They even started off with an unedited version of the Family Guy intro. As stated above though, despite Simpsons getting second billing Matt's sense of humor still shone through which ultimately made this more enjoyable than most modern episodes of either franchise. No one was really out of character and I never felt like they were shoehorning references into the plot. They always came pretty naturally. The plot itself was pretty dull though, but what did you expect?

One other thing that bothered me though, was that near the end it seemed like the episode was building up to a climax that would ultimately affect both shows going into the future and I'm really disappointed that they just shrugged it off in typical Family Guy fashion, but then again, I don't know what I was expecting. I'm also not a fan of how often they bashed it into our heads that this was a one time thing when it could easily have a second part. Hell, they even addressed that in the closing minutes.

If I had to choose though my least favorite bit of the episode had to be pretty much everything Stewie did. He was the only character that did something that I would only expect in Family Guy and it was just jarring. I honestly thought we were going to lose a Simpsons character from this, and it made me happy that Bart set his ass straight.

The final fight scene was eh. I'm glad the episode had a happy ending and all but I'd rather it have come from Homer proving he was sorry to Peter rather than the skit turning both characters into homicidal maniacs. What angered me more than the final moments of the fight was the ending of the episode. It pretty much only existed to invalidate the one reason I had to see one of my childhood icons almost killed. I think Comic Book guy put it into words better than I could, though.

"Worst Chicken Fight ever."

Either way, if you cut out everything after the last commercial break and disregard the rubber band and bubblegum plot the episode is definitely better than any recent Family Guy episode I've seen. Hopefully they do a sequel where Simpsons get first billing like they were apparently hinting at.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

So what was supposed to be a Simpsons episode with Family Guy cameos ended up being the other way around? Why didn't they just make it a Family Guy episode, then?

jkid101094

Quote from: Elija2 on September 28, 2014, 04:07:32 PM
Why didn't they just make it a Family Guy episode, then?
It is.
I expected both shows to get equal treatment. Silly me.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Oh, I thought it was supposed to be a Simpsons episode.

jkid101094

And now a review from someone that isn't incompetent.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.