These 3DS HOME Menu themes look pretty good

Started by Elija2, September 28, 2014, 06:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elija2

So there's going to be a 3DS system update in October that will give us the ability to purchase and download different themes for the 3DS HOME Menu. There's a full list of them here (Note: it's not confirmed which of these themes we'll be getting in NA/EU). They also change the HOME Menu background music and sound effects.

These are my favourites:

Unfortunately these ones all cost money and I'm not interested in paying for them (two bucks is a bit much for just a theme). There are two free themes but they're pretty generic looking and don't change any of the system sounds (still better than the default HOME theme we currently have though).

So what do you think? Any that you're thinking of buying?

Hakudamashi

$2 is too much for a theme? That's what they charge on PSN :U
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: Hakudamashi on September 28, 2014, 07:32:17 PM
$2 is too much for a theme? That's what they charge on PSN :U

It was already too much there.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Elija2

Themes should also ideally come free with the games that they're based on.

And I should at least be able to pick my own background wallpaper for free.

Hakudamashi

Well I clearly have been looking in all the wrong places.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

So the update came out today. Here's what it adds:

• Users can now use themes to customize the design and sounds of the HOME Menu
  • Five themes are pre-installed and additional themes can be purchased from the Theme Shop
  • Themes can be changed by using settings located within the HOME Menu settings
  • A feature has been added that allows users to capture screenshots of their HOME Menu
  • The Nintendo eShop Title Information page has been updated to provide easier access to any available videos, demos, user reviews, and other information
  • Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience

The update comes with 5 free basic colour themes (red, blue, yellow, pink, and black). You can also purchase some themes, but they haven't released all of the themes they've announced yet. Also, there's an option in the Theme Shop to redeem a code which leads me to believe that some games may come with a redeemable code for a free theme.

Interestingly, Japan also got this update but theirs doesn't include the themes. But what their update does include is a tool for transferring data from the 3DS to the New 3DS. I guess they'll be getting themes at a later date.

For some reason they added a feature that lets you take screenshots of your HOME Menu. Not the game you're running, just the HOME Menu. It's kinda useless, but now we can play a game where we post pictures of our HOME Menus. Here's mine:

jkid101094

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Hakudamashi

I want to get the Peach theme
But unfortunately other people use my 3DS...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: Hakudamashi on October 07, 2014, 03:12:26 AM
I want to get the Peach theme
But unfortunately other people use my 3DS...
Rosalina theme is better, anyway.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

This update also lets you put the eShop and System Settings apps into folders.

Best update.

Elija2

You thought themes were neat, but now the 3DS is getting STICKERS!

Nintendo put out a new 3DS application in Japan that lets you play a crane game for stickers. These stickers can be used to customize your HOME Menu. There are even some exclusive themes to unlock. It costs real money to play (90 yen for 5 plays), but there's also a practice mode you can play once a day that gives you a chance at winning free plays. No idea when it's coming to North America.

Here's what the stickers look like on the HOME Menu:

There's even more screenshots on the official Miiverse.

Interesting how just a few months ago the 3DS allowed almost no customization, but now there's themes, stickers, and face plates on the New 3DS.