Looking For People With Time on Their Hands to Play a Shitty Game

Started by jkid101094, January 23, 2015, 06:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkid101094

To try to make a long story short I'm doing a thing in RPG Maker which is a reenvisioning of a project I did wayyyy back in 2007 for my brother. It contained crude, racist and otherwise offensive humor (I was young, OK?) and was only about 10 minutes long (if that) but the main idea stuck with me and over the years the name has stuck with me on every forum I've ever been to.

For this remake I've removed the crude humor and replaced it with, still adult, but more acceptable humor. The engine has been moved from RPG Maker XP to RPG Maker VXAce and the game is planned to be much longer than the original. Since the original used the default RPG so this project will as well.

Now that I've told you about the project I want someone to play it and give me feed back. Here are a few questions I want you to ask yourself while playing:

How Would I Improve This Game?

What Features Would I Address First?

How is the Map Layout, Dialogue, ect?

Is the difficulty too hard or too easy?

What Features Would I Like to See in the Game?

With that I'll upload the game. If someone cares enough to download it I thank you very kindly. It is a rather large download so I hope you don't mind waiting 30 minutes for what is roughly 15 minutes of text thus far.

Current Stopping Point: Your fourth party member's has a father and his house has a second floor. When you finally reach this floor SAVE YOUR GAME. Everything past that point has yet to be tested or fine tuned, however, feel free to bug test past that point if you want.

~Download Current Version HERE!~

Also, please don't stream this game. Be nice, guys.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

jkid101094

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Why does the Standard Tunic have no stat differences? I might as well be running around nude.

And what are the controls? I literally have no idea what I'm doing.

jkid101094

Z and X are your action buttons (select and cancel).
Enter brings up the pause menu and the arrow keys are to move.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

I'm in a pool room with one other person. Z does nothing. Enter does nothing. X brings up a menu which lets me do nothing.

Holding shift lets me run though!

jkid101094

Screenie?

Edit:
Nevermind. That's a test room. I forgot to move the start position back to the intro screen. Whoops.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Going up to the other person and pressing every single button on the keyboard does nothing.

jkid101094

Quote from: jkid101094 on January 23, 2015, 07:46:53 PM
Edit:
Nevermind. That's a test room. I forgot to move the start position back to the intro screen. Whoops.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

jkid101094

If you can figure out the console commands have a blast with it.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

So how the heck did you not realize that the game starts you in a test room? Do you not even have time to test your own shitty game?

jkid101094

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

jkid101094

I did, but I move the starting position around a lot to test other things. I just forgot to move it back.

In the room you were in I was testing to make sure the pool tiles looked good next to the player sprites.

Post Merge: January 24, 2015, 01:24:21 AM

New DL is up. It should start you in the right place this time.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Maybe that should have been the first thing you tested after you compiled the game and gave it to me.

Yep, those pool tiles look good.

jkid101094

I figured it was already switched back. My bad.

Quote from: jkid101094 on January 23, 2015, 08:22:45 PM
New DL is up. It should start you in the right place this time.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Did you choose the default character names? What kind of name is Ylva?

What the heck is a Points Card. Something about it keeps coming up every time I talk to the little boy hiding from his sister.

And what the fuck jkid, why does your story have incest jokes!?!?

Your writing is terrible.

What the fuck am I supposed to do when battling the Demon Lord? Nobody is doing any damage to anybody.

jkid101094

Quote from: Elija2 on January 23, 2015, 08:43:52 PM
Did you choose the default character names? What kind of name is Ylva?
No I didn't. Deal with it.

What the heck is a Points Card. Something about it keeps coming up every time I talk to the little boy hiding from his sister.
Another bug. Ignore it.

And what the fuck jkid, why does your story have incest jokes!?!?

Your writing is terrible.
Because it wouldn't be a jkid story without some sort of incest.

What the fuck am I supposed to do when battling the Demon Lord? Nobody is doing any damage to anybody.
He's supposed to one-shot you. You are literally the only person that has this problem.

Edit:
Right. I forgot that I recently purged everything. He doesn't have any attacks anymore.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Jesus Christ jkid, test your fucking game yourself before handing it over to me.

jkid101094

No, that's why I asked you, so I wouldn't have to do it for the 90billionth time.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

This is the second time that you released your demo in a literally unplayable state. You suck at coding.

jkid101094

Well I reuploaded a more current version now that my self-esteem has healed a little. I actually played through it to fix a few bugs. It's not glitch free but you should actually be able to make it to the end this time.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

The dialog in this game is weird. "Hey, go get your sister for me. DON'T LET ME DOWN." Also there's a bunch of typos and grammatical mistakes.

Why does the run key skip through text? I'm holding the run key all the time because why the hell would I want to walk but I end up skipping the text whenever I talk to someone. I have to let go of the run key before I talk to someone, which is DUMB. Make it a different button to speed through dialog boxes.

I see you fixed the Points Card bug. Good for you.

"What kind of conceited parent names their child the King of Demons?" You made me chuckle. Congrats. That doesn't make up for the dozen or so groans your game made me do though. Also, I thought his name was Demon Lord? Some weird inconsistencies going on.

How did that one kid sleep through that huge flashback explosion!?

Uh, I went inside one of my houses (why do I have more than one house, especially when they're across the street from each other?) and it teleported me to inside the church-looking place. Then when I tried going back into my house I found out that the door was locked, so I guess I wasn't supposed to be able to go there in the first place? This happened immediately after that peaceful waterfall scene where I met that Sister girl (not the incestual adopted sister). I was able to reproduce the bug too.

Why is the Styrofoam shield more expensive than the wooden one?

Why is the inside of the potion shop tinted red?

Why is it that when I go back from checking a character's Skills/Equipment/Status it takes me back to the main menu instead of the Skills/Equipment/Status menu where I can select another character? It makes managing that stuff more annoying.

"You found a Deadly Toxin!" WHY WOULD I WANT THAT!?!?

I think the other party members block doorways or something. Whenever I try to leave a room after immediately entering it it won't let me unless I move around a bit.

The little character heads in the text boxes jitter around sometimes.

I hate that I can't skip through your stupid dramatic ellipses.

I forgot to buy potions and I can't go back to the starting town so I guess I'm fucked. NOW I HAVE TO RESTART THE WHOLE 5 MINUTES ALL OVER AGAIN!

That is the extent of my testing for today.

jkid101094

Quote from: Elija2 on January 28, 2015, 05:11:47 PM
The dialog in this game is weird. "Hey, go get your sister for me. DON'T LET ME DOWN." Also there's a bunch of typos and grammatical mistakes.
I try my best to fix them but I don't really have anyone to spell check for me. Also you gotta remember that this dialogue gets written on a whim with one draft from a guy who has zero social experience. :P

Why does the run key skip through text? I'm holding the run key all the time because why the hell would I want to walk but I end up skipping the text whenever I talk to someone. I have to let go of the run key before I talk to someone, which is DUMB. Make it a different button to speed through dialog boxes.
Why is it that when I go back from checking a character's Skills/Equipment/Status it takes me back to the main menu instead of the Skills/Equipment/Status menu where I can select another character? It makes managing that stuff more annoying.

I hate that I can't skip through your stupid dramatic ellipses.
These are problems with the engine, not my programming. I can't fix them unless I can figure out how to correct them with scripts.

Uh, I went inside one of my houses (why do I have more than one house, especially when they're across the street from each other?) and it teleported me to inside the church-looking place. Then when I tried going back into my house I found out that the door was locked, so I guess I wasn't supposed to be able to go there in the first place? This happened immediately after that peaceful waterfall scene where I met that Sister girl (not the incestual adopted sister). I was able to reproduce the bug too.
This one I can actually fix. That house is the merchant couple's home. I just copy/pasted the events from other places as place holders until I felt like working on it again.

It's not so much of a glitch as it is just the dev being lazy. :P

Why is the Styrofoam shield more expensive than the wooden one?
Because in my head styrofoam is better than wood for some reason. Probably comedic effect.

Why is the inside of the potion shop tinted red?
Atmospheric effect? Would you rather I tint it purple?

"You found a Deadly Toxin!" WHY WOULD I WANT THAT!?!?
You want that because it's a one-shot kill if used on an enemy, though it has a chance of failing. Later in the game it'll also serve as a potion/weapon ingredient.

I think the other party members block doorways or something. Whenever I try to leave a room after immediately entering it it won't let me unless I move around a bit.
It all depends on how I program it and where I place the player. This one is entirely my fault and I'll see what I can do about fixing it.

The little character heads in the text boxes jitter around sometimes.
If you've noticed Alice's (the blue haired priestess) actually takes a chunk out of a completely different emote for one of hers. Those are things that I was planning on fine tuning later so they haven't gone unnoticed.

I forgot to buy potions and I can't go back to the starting town so I guess I'm fucked. NOW I HAVE TO RESTART THE WHOLE 5 MINUTES ALL OVER AGAIN!
Actually no. There are more than enough healing items in that cave and you find a save point that'll also heal you at the end of it. It got to a point where I thought I was being a little too generous with them.

That is the extent of my testing for today.
Thank you, Eli.
This is the happiest you've ever made me~

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Quote from: jkid101094 on January 28, 2015, 05:32:07 PM
Thank you, Eli.
This is the happiest you've ever made me~

Hearing you say this made it all worth it.

Does this get me bonus friendship points?

jkid101094

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Hakudamashi

One day you'll earn enough to have a pony of your very own.
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Jkid, I now demand you port this game to the Wii U when you complete it.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

I've already quit working on it. Elija's comments killed my motive to keep going and by the time he apologized I had quit caring.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Quote from: jkid101094 on February 03, 2015, 11:50:33 AM
I've already quit working on it. Elija's comments killed my motive to keep going and by the time he apologized I had quit caring.

I never wanted you to stop working on your game. I was testing it for you because I wanted to see it get better.

You know, a wise man passed away this week. His name was Monty Oum and he always believed that if you wanted to do something, you should just do it. Don't let anybody get in your way. Even if you're not happy with what you've done so far, just keep working on it and eventually it will be what you want it to be. Monty went from dropping out of high school to creating his own anime series that is popular around the world, and he did it because he knew he could do it.

You don't have to aim as high as him, but just take his words to heart. Never give up on what you want to do and never let anything stand in your way. It's corny but he did it and you can do it to.

jkid101094

Quote from: Elija2 on February 03, 2015, 12:59:05 PM
I never wanted you to stop working on your game.
I never said you did, but motivation to do something is very hard for me to come by. Only recently have I been legitimately attempting to put more effort into the things I make. "Just doing it" isn't an option for me because I need that validation to motivate me to stick with a single idea. He didn't. I'm not him, nor do I want to be.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

An enjoyable RPG. Just like everything else I make.
All I care about is that people enjoy it. Nothing more and nothing less.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Is me playing your game not enough of a validation for you? Is your own desire to make a game not enough of a validation for you?

jkid101094

Apparently not. I don't even think you went through everything I had.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

I was gonna get back to it and go through the rest but I haven't had the time.

jkid101094

Sure you were.

Even if you do care I've moved onto other things.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

jkid101094

Quote from: Elija2 on February 03, 2015, 01:43:59 PM
ahem
Near year might as well be never when only one person is involved.
If Wind or anyone else gave a shit I might have continued to but working for weeks on end for someone who's barely interested isn't something I can do.

Quote from: Elija2 on February 03, 2015, 01:43:59 PM
Like what?
Modding some sprites into Pokemon Gold so I can play the outcome.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Hakudamashi

Quote from: jkid101094 on February 03, 2015, 02:16:58 PM
If Wind or anyone else gave a shit I might have continued to but working for weeks on end for someone who's barely interested isn't something I can do.
Hm?

I'm sure I said I'd continue when I found the time, and that it wouldn't be any time soon cause of school...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Quote from: Elija2 on February 03, 2015, 02:20:00 PM
Does nobody at GoW care about your game?
I never posted it there.

Quote from: Hakudamashi on February 03, 2015, 02:21:34 PM
I'm sure I said I'd continue when I found the time, and that it wouldn't be any time soon cause of school...
If you did you either didn't make it clear or said it in a way that made me doubt you.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Quote from: jkid101094 on February 03, 2015, 02:32:55 PM
I never posted it there.

Why not? Isn't there another game developer over there?

Wait...does that mean you love Sonic Zone more than GoW? <3

jkid101094

No, it means I'd rather not be laughed at by more experienced writers and devs.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

They wouldn't laugh at you if they were your friends.

And the fact that you think you'll be laughed at means you have low confidence in your work.

jkid101094

Quote from: Hakudamashi on February 03, 2015, 02:40:46 PM
Laughed at?

I'd think they'd want to help you out...
Quote from: Elija2 on February 03, 2015, 02:40:58 PM
They wouldn't laugh at you if they were your friends.

And the fact that you think you'll be laughed at means you have low confidence in your work.
Hi, I don't believe we've met. My name is Justin Hart, I'm 20 years old and I take pills daily and go to therapy monthly for my crippling anxiety disorder.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

You had the guts to show the game to us, among many other details about yourself. If you consider them to be better people than us, then surely they would be just as accepting of your work.

Wait, do the people at GoW not know about your weird fetishes???

Hakudamashi

Quote from: jkid101094 on February 03, 2015, 02:44:44 PM
Hi, I don't believe we've met. My name is Justin Hart, I'm 20 years old and I take pills daily and go to therapy monthly for my crippling anxiety disorder.
I have no idea how to help you with that...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Quote from: Elija2 on February 03, 2015, 02:49:54 PM
You had the guts to show the game to us, among many other details about yourself.
There are no holds barred here. Everything is accepted as well as everyone else. I could molest school children and the people here would be cool with it.

If you consider them to be better people than us, then surely they would be just as accepting of your work.
They totally would. I'm just notgoing to waste their time with it.

Wait, do the people at GoW not know about your weird fetishes???
No because that's a much less appropriate topic of conversation there.

Quote from: Hakudamashi on February 03, 2015, 02:50:19 PM
I have no idea how to help you with that...
I have a ton of ideas, but if I told you them then I couldn't take you sincerely anymore.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Quote from: jkid101094 on February 03, 2015, 02:56:41 PM
There are no holds barred here. Everything is accepted as well as everyone else. I could molest school children and the people here would be cool with it.

I would hate you and report you to the police if you did that.

They totally would. I'm just notgoing to waste their time with it.

But you'll waste our time with it?

Not that you are or anything.

No because that's a much less appropriate topic of conversation there.

Sounds like a boring place.

I have a ton of ideas, but if I told you them then I couldn't take you sincerely anymore.

Would it help if we paid for your sex-change operation?

jkid101094

Quote from: Elija2 on February 03, 2015, 03:01:34 PM
I would hate you and report you to the police if you did that.
It's an extreme example but you get what I mean. Everyone else here is so far from "normal" that nothing really phases us anymore. GoW is the exact opposite.

But you'll waste our time with it?

Not that you are or anything.
I was under the impression that everyone here lacked a life.

Sounds like a boring place.
It's really not.

Would it help if we paid for your sex-change operation?
Yes, because giving me money for a life changing operation that I'm not even sure about and without the permission from my therapist or any trained professional when I won't even accept gift cards from you guys can't go wrong in any way. :P

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Quote from: jkid101094 on February 03, 2015, 03:25:08 PM
I was under the impression that everyone here lacked a life.

I'm insulted.

It's really not.

Everyone else here is so far from "normal" that nothing really phases us anymore. GoW is the exact opposite.

Sure sounds like it.

Yes, because giving me money for a life changing operation that I'm not even sure about and without the permission from my therapist or any trained professional when I won't even accept gift cards from you guys can't go wrong in any way. :P

You're right, that's way too much effort (and money). I'll stick with just being nicer to you.

jkid101094

Quote from: Elija2 on February 03, 2015, 03:30:10 PM
I'm insulted.
I'm still under the impression that no one here has a life.

Sure sounds like it.
Not everyone needs sex and porn to have fun.

You're right, that's way too much effort (and money). I'll stick with just being nicer to you.
That's not even the half of it but OK.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Quote from: jkid101094 on February 03, 2015, 03:32:25 PM
I'm still under the impression that no one here has a life.

I'm still insulted.

Not everyone needs sex and porn to have fun.

Sure, but those people aren't fun.

That's not even the half of it but OK.

Well what's the other half?

jkid101094

Quote from: Elija2 on February 03, 2015, 03:35:20 PM
I'm still insulted.
Cool story.

Sure, but those people aren't fun.
Wind doesn't seem to agree with you.

Well what's the other half?
The fact that I need a therapist's referral to get the surgery in the first place. The fact that my family probably wouldn't accept my decision at all. The fact that I could get shot just for talking about being gay or transgender people here. The fact that the only place I know would even give me the surgery is apparently located in Thailand. You know, just the basics.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Quote from: jkid101094 on February 03, 2015, 03:45:42 PM
Wind doesn't seem to agree with you.

Haku and I seem to disagree about a lot of things.

Quote from: jkid101094 on February 03, 2015, 03:45:42 PM
The fact that I need a therapist's referral to get the surgery in the first place. The fact that my family probably wouldn't accept my decision at all. The fact that I could get shot just for talking about being gay or transgender people here. The fact that the only place I know would even give me the surgery is apparently located in Thailand. You know, just the basics.

That's rough. I feel for you, man.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay