Where did Sonic go Wrong?

Started by SonicFan47, March 03, 2009, 07:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicFan47

Title is the title of the article.

From IGN:

February 20, 2009 - Few gaming icons are as fashionable to scorn as Sonic the Hedgehog. Poking fun of werehogs is an easy sport, to be sure. But his last few adventures, including the recent Sonic Unleashed, have fallen short of his celebrated original run -- at least by reputation. Some critics claim Sonic never really survived the jump to 3D and exists today only on the fumes of nostalgic good will. Others think the trouble started much earlier, when Sonic raced along so fast that nobody noticed the ground had run out beneath his trademark red sneakers.

IGN Insider's Michael Thomsen goes so far to decree the whole franchise a sham from the beginning, saying "Our fondness for Sonic is a generational illusion."

Sonic in 1991
Sonic the Hedgehog was created by designer Naoto Oshima, now president of development studio Artoon. Oshima responded to a call from SEGA management wanting a mascot to replace Alex Kidd and compete with Nintendo's Mario, who was at the time synonymous with the entire videogame industry in the same way Pac-Man was in the early eighties. His hedgehog hero was picked from a number of competing designs and then assigned to Yuji Naka and Hirokazu Yasuhara as the central figure for a new action platformer series.

The big difference between Sonic and Mario was speed. SEGA even coined the marketing term "blast processing" to create an aura of performance that Super Mario World, the white-hot first Super NES entry in the Super Mario canon, could somehow not match. Other than the rocket ship velocity and an injection of "attitude" to make Sonic hipper than the comparatively staid Mario, the two games are really not all that dissimilar. Thomsen boils it does to this:

"You collect rings, stomp on enemies' heads, and fight a boss every now and again. You just do it at a faster speed than Mario. Instead of character altering powerups to give you a mulligan if you get hit by an enemy you just lose coins, er, rings."

Sonic was about one thing: speed.

If you go back now and play the original Sonic the Hedgehog for the Genesis, it is impossible to deny the essential truth to this. And it is doubtful SEGA would either. Sonic is a reactionary force to Mario. There are organic elements to his games, though. The villain, Dr. Robotnik (later Eggman), is a pretty clever riff on Teddy Roosevelt. The Chaos Emeralds that Sonic quests for just has a cool ring to it. The level design in the original game is especially strong, with well plotted stages full of exciting real estate, like the loops that Sonic races through when he's going full bore.

Regardless of the purity of intent behind Sonic the Hedgehog, SEGA fans ate it up to the tune of approximately four million copies. The original Sonic the Hedgehog was a massive success for the Genesis and the console's success in North America is rightfully attributed in large part to the embrace of the new mascot. Perhaps some of Sonic's success can be assigned to SEGA fans just wanting a mascot to glom on to and hold up to their Nintendo-owning friends in schoolyard videogame debates. But it was a bracing experience the first time you roared through a stage at full speed or brought down one of Robotnik's metal monsters.

Charles Onyett, editor on the IGN PC team remembers, "You ran incredibly fast while killing and collecting. If you played enough and learned all the paths through the stage, you'd collect better stuff while continuing to go really fast. Then you'd tell the story to your friends, talking about the ramps you sped up and around, of the shortcuts you'd found, overwhelmed with the thrill of it all. That's what Sonic was to me, that's why I loved it."

Tails
No surprise then that with millions of fans having a similar experience to Onyett, SEGA immediately powered forward with a sequel. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 appeared in late 1992, only a year after the franchise debuted. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was an instant success, outselling the original game by almost two million units. By this point, the formula was set in cement and SEGA wasted zero time moving on to the inevitable Sonic the Hedgehog 3.

SEGA waited to release Sonic the Hedgehog 3 until 1994, bridging the gap instead with two Sonic spin-offs in 1993: Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine and Sonic Spinball. The extra development time was not necessarily used to alter the formula, though. Sonic the Hedgehog 3, save for a few exceptions like bonus stages, plays largely like the first game. And the sequel. In fact, the stage design in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 is not generally viewed as the strongest in the series.

I'm not gonna post the rest of the article as it would take up too much space,
But it can be viewed here: Page 1-http://retro.ign.com/articles/955/955741p1.html
                                       Page 2-http://retro.ign.com/articles/955/955741p2.html
                                       Page 3-http://retro.ign.com/articles/955/955741p3.html

Does this bug anyone else?
Sig attempt #7!

I am the Knight of Bright Blue Test Tube Sentient Beings! In your Face!
a-lad wuz here :P

Super Empra

IGN are stupid.They even Sonic 06 a higher score than Sonic unleashed. They gave SA2 a higher score than SA2B when we all know SA2B is better.

If you're reading this, your a NOOB!!!

Shadow84786

Quote from: Super Empra on March 03, 2009, 08:57:58 PM
IGN are stupid.They even Sonic 06 a higher score than Sonic unleashed. They gave SA2 a higher score than SA2B when we all know SA2B is better.
IGN are stupid they do bad reviews on video games like Sonic Unleashed, you should look at the 360 review they did.

revenger

Shadow84786

Quote from: revenger on March 04, 2009, 05:24:26 AM
Yes, I agree, IGN are stupid.
They gave Sonic and the black knight a 3/10 and it didn't even come out yet.

SonicFan47

Quote from: Shadow84786 on March 04, 2009, 05:45:30 AM
It didn't?
I thought that it came out on March 3rd for America (which was yesterday, when I found this on IGN.com)...
Sig attempt #7!

Hakudamashi

IGNorant

puns are made for a reason
lol look at the comments for that article XD
We are not alone  :)
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Skyle369

IGN doesent use their brains enough.

ChaosDazer

Sonic didn't go wrong, Eggman just screwed him up for a bit.
witty sig caption

Tavy

lol, IGN are such cheaters! XD Even more than mah!
I like to be called 'fat coon', ain't that true? ^^

UberTails

You do have to admit the 3D Sonic games have declined after the release of the sequel to Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2.

Nowadays, it's a mashed-up storybook adventure or something involving a werewolf/hedgehog mixbreed with horrendous RPG elements added.

Plus, Sonic Unleashed had made a disgrace to the 2D side-scroller name. Why? By inducing death-traps, fat robots firing undodgeable lasers, and making you swing off vines with physics that didn't match reality.

Yet this is all my opinion.
I am probably the most insane Sonic fan ever.

NeoMetalSonic

hopefully Sega will maybe sell Sonic to Nintendo so Nintendo can make good Sonic games

Hakudamashi

Quote from: jonXjon on March 07, 2009, 07:52:41 AM
hopefully Sega will maybe sell Sonic to Nintendo so Nintendo can make good Sonic games
That is IGN's and ever other Game reviewers plot to make Nintendo even better and take over the gaming world

C'MON SEGA!!!!DON'T GIVE UP!!!!!!
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Super Empra

Quote from: windlessusher on March 07, 2009, 08:02:47 AM
That is IGN's and ever other Game reviewers plot to make Nintendo even better and take over the gaming world

C'MON SEGA!!!!DON'T GIVE UP!!!!!!

Nintendo have probably already done that with the Wii and DS. Its sells much more than any console including PS3 and 360 combined. SEGA are even going to publish one of the Wii's bestest games, The Conduit.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Super Empra on March 09, 2009, 10:57:54 AM
Nintendo have probably already done that with the Wii and DS. Its sells much more than any console including PS3 and 360 combined. SEGA are even going to publish one of the Wii's bestest games, The Conduit.
And who do we have to thank for that :P
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Dracoslythe

Moral of the story:
IGN is made up of stupid f***s who wouldn't know a good video game if it raped them.
&&
Nintendo has already won the gaming world with the DS an the Wii.  There's no denying that.

Thank you for your few minutes of time.
kthnxbai
<3

ChaosDazer

Rofl at the rape part.

Well, I actually wish Mario would step out of the limelight. It's Sonic's turn, really.
witty sig caption

Hakudamashi

Quote from: chaos101 on March 10, 2009, 04:00:19 AM
Rofl at the rape part.

Well, I actually wish Mario would step out of the limelight. It's Sonic's turn, really.
Tell that to the 9000 upon 9000 of fanboys
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Supersonic274

Quote from: Shadow84786 on March 04, 2009, 01:59:31 AM
IGN are stupid they do bad reviews on video games like Sonic Unleashed, you should look at the 360 review they did.

The reviewer can't event play the game correctly. Probably died three times after playing the first level and made Unleashed seem bad.

SonicFan47

Quote from: Supersonic274 on March 14, 2009, 04:06:57 PM
The reviewer can't event play the game correctly. Probably died three times after playing the first level and made Unleashed seem bad.
I think that your statement needs to be corrected.
Quote from: Supersonic274 on March 14, 2009, 04:06:57 PM
The reviewers can't even play games. Probably died three times.
That's better.
Sig attempt #7!

Supersonic274

Quote from: SonicFan47 on March 14, 2009, 05:00:44 PM
I think that your statement needs to be corrected.That's better.

Well I put it singular as I've only seen IGN play it and it looked like the same player over and over.

panjr0809

Crazy_mofo213

Many Magazines and Review sites get early copies of games so they can review them before thier official launch.
IGN is just plain stupid. They've decided to jump on the "sonic sucks!" bandwagon that many reviewers are currently riding.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Crazy_mofo213 on March 18, 2009, 06:08:35 AM
Many Magazines and Review sites get early copies of games so they can review them before thier official launch.
IGN is just plain stupid. They've decided to jump on the "sonic sucks!" bandwagon that many reviewers are currently riding.
The wagon is too big if ya ask me  >:(
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Crazy_mofo213

Quote from: windlessusher on March 18, 2009, 09:20:57 AM
The wagon is too big if ya ask me  >:(

It sure is. Now a days only games that include over the top violence and guns are really praised by reviewers. Not all games like that are bad, but some games tend to be over rated. I mean I understand Sonic isn't at his prime right now, but his games aren't as bad as they make them out to be. Unfrotunately, the people who read thier biased reviews take thier word for it and develop the mind set that Sonic just "fails".

Craig@Game

i know, 06 was the BIGGEST SONIC FLOP IN HISTORY!!! HOW CAN IT GET A HIGHER SCORE!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Super Empra

Quote from: Craig@Game on March 26, 2009, 07:28:42 AM
i know, 06 was the BIGGEST SONIC FLOP IN HISTORY!!! HOW CAN IT GET A HIGHER SCORE!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

I think shadow the hedgehog was worse.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: DarkShadow on March 26, 2009, 09:25:12 AM
Sonic Drift was the real worst of all >_>
The only one that could possibly be worse than Drift,is Sonic the Hedgehog(GBA)
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Kristomaster

The guys on IGN just can't rate games, and we shouldn't make a rating decide if sonic is good or not, it is for ourselves to find out! But the one time when SEGA really did fail was when they made Sonic Drift.
What would SEGA be without Sonic? I don't know XP
Anyways, SONIC RULES!

I'm back...

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Kristomaster on March 28, 2009, 09:39:59 PM
The guys on IGN just can't rate games, and we shouldn't make a rating decide if sonic is good or not, it is for ourselves to find out! But the one time when SEGA really did fail was when they made Sonic Drift.
ppl can't realize the epicness of Sonic the Hedgehog
its not all about Games ya know :P
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

SonicFan47

Quote from: windlessusher on March 29, 2009, 03:38:49 AM
ppl can't realize the epicness of Sonic the Hedgehog
its not all about Games ya know :P
I agree with you, but could you please explain?
Sig attempt #7!

Hakudamashi

Quote from: SonicFan47 on March 29, 2009, 02:32:32 PM
I agree with you, but could you please explain?
ppl only focus on Sonic's games and say he must die
Nobody cares about the comics,the 3 cartoons,or the 1 anime
just his games -_-"
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

darkness shadow

Quote from: windlessusher on March 29, 2009, 02:46:32 PM
ppl only focus on Sonic's games and say he must die
Nobody cares about the comics,the 3 cartoons,or the 1 anime
just his games -_-"
well, games is where he started, some people consider them as mear spin-offs, but one day, if people keep hating him like they are, he's gonna have to resort to one of them to keep sonic goin, he'll never truely die out...
supa emeraldz

thnx rival, again
shineh emeraldz =D

Hakudamashi

Quote from: ultrashadow on March 30, 2009, 05:15:49 AM
well, games is where he started, some people consider them as mear spin-offs, but one day, if people keep hating him like they are, he's gonna have to resort to one of them to keep sonic goin, he'll never truely die out...
Therefore only Sonic fans can enjoy Sonic  :D
WE WIN
THEY LOSE!
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

SonicFan47

Quote from: windlessusher on March 30, 2009, 11:30:33 AM
Therefore only Sonic fans can enjoy Sonic  :D
WE WIN
THEY LOSE!
I find it funny that the reviewers criticize the fans saying that "you've let a lot of bad games go", but if you think about it the people who buy the games the most (and most often) are none other than THE FANS!
Again proving that, quote
Quote from: windlessusher on March 30, 2009, 11:30:33 AM
WE WIN
THEY LOSE!
Sig attempt #7!

Hakudamashi

Quote from: SonicFan47 on March 30, 2009, 11:37:45 AM
I find it funny that the reviewers criticize the fans saying that "you've let a lot of bad games go", but if you think about it the people who buy the games the most (and most often) are none other than THE FANS!
Again proving that, quote
uuuummmm.....what?
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

SonicFan47

Quote from: windlessusher on March 30, 2009, 11:39:54 AM
uuuummmm.....what?
The fans are who keep Sonic alive.
Always have, always will.
Sig attempt #7!

Hakudamashi

Quote from: SonicFan47 on March 30, 2009, 11:55:36 AM
The fans are who keep Sonic alive.
Always have, always will.
true...you know WHAT?

Sonic the Hedgehog,is like a baby of overprotective parents.
When Sonic was born he was the #1 star everyone wanted,he did everything his parents(genesis junkies for future reference) wanted,and they were pleased.
But as Sonic grew up,he wanted to try new things,become different kinds of heroes in society,and be do more that 1 thing to be remembered for.He wanted to spread his wings and be more than just a sidescrolling mute animal that jumps.
But his intentions angered the parents,they wanted hm to stay as their little pleasing star for as long as they live...never changing....a long boring life.So with continuous yelling,shouting and rants,they try their hardest to keep their son to grow up to what they WANT him to be.
But his uncles&aunts(us)supported his idea to branch out,and with the kind words and enthusiasm,he carried on with his journey to be all the things he wants to be.
But now that he has carried on with his dream,his parents no longer accept him into their home of Genesis  land,and continue to try to convince him that he's making a big mistake and to come back under their rules.
But Sonic flicks them off and comes under our catering wing,where he can grow up and live the life HE wants.

.....what did I just say?  ???
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

SonicFan47

Quote from: windlessusher on March 30, 2009, 12:11:21 PM
true...you know WHAT?

Sonic the Hedgehog,is like a baby of overprotective parents.
When Sonic was born he was the #1 star everyone wanted,he did everything his parents(genesis junkies for future reference) wanted,and they were pleased.
But as Sonic grew up,he wanted to try new things,become different kinds of heroes in society,and be do more that 1 thing to be remembered for.He wanted to spread his wings and be more than just a sidescrolling mute animal that jumps.
But his intentions angered the parents,they wanted hm to stay as their little pleasing star for as long as they live...never changing....a long boring life.So with continuous yelling,shouting and rants,they try their hardest to keep their son to grow up to what they WANT him to be.
But his uncles&aunts(us)supported his idea to branch out,and with the kind words and enthusiasm,he carried on with his journey to be all the things he wants to be.
But now that he has carried on with his dream,his parents no longer accept him into their home of Genesis  land,and continue to try to convince him that he's making a big mistake and to come back under their rules.
But Sonic flicks them off and comes under our catering wing,where he can grow up and live the life HE wants.

.....what did I just say?  ???
I gotcha.
So basically, Sonic moved out of the house, but we pay his rent.
Sig attempt #7!

Hakudamashi

Quote from: SonicFan47 on March 30, 2009, 12:17:54 PM
I gotcha.
So basically, Sonic moved out of the house, but we pay his rent.
but its well worth it  :D
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

KevChaos86

I agree that the Sonic-hating bandwagon really needs to stop, but I do find it damned hard to like most post-SA2 Sonics. I know it's just idiot ignorance, but hearing all these bad reviews of the newer games has kept me from trying many of them. I tried one-level demos of Sonic 06 & Unleashed and assumed I was missing nothing. I did buy Sonic Chronicles on DS though, that was good. The last 3D Sonic I bought was Shadow's game... man, was that ever a disappointment. And just so you know, Sonic games were among the first video games I played...
- Kev

Super Empra

People still like Sonic ya know...
Even after all of his so called bad games, he is still very popular. He is just as popular as he was 10 years ago.

KevChaos86

Oh, I know they do Empra. I still do as well... I personally just find it hard to since any of his games after Sonic Adventure 2 are less than his best, y'know?  And he may or may not be as popular as 10 years ago, but that's still not as good as back in his Genesis days... he was HUGE then.

I guess that's part of being a Sonic fan though... I've gotten used to it by now.
- Kev

darkness shadow

yeah, as long as there are fans, no game character can die, and i'm pretty sure there will always be sonic fans... or at least till years after sega let go of sonic...
supa emeraldz

thnx rival, again
shineh emeraldz =D

Super Empra

Basically I'm tryin to say that no matter how bad sonic games become. Sonic will never die or lose popularity. Infact he is probably getting more and more popular because SEGA is making Sonic games more appealing to everyone. The same would apply to mario or any other popular video game character.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: KevChaos86 on March 30, 2009, 11:29:50 PM
Oh, I know they do Empra. I still do as well... I personally just find it hard to since any of his games after Sonic Adventure 2 are less than his best, y'know?  And he may or may not be as popular as 10 years ago, but that's still not as good as back in his Genesis days... he was HUGE then.

I guess that's part of being a Sonic fan though... I've gotten used to it by now.
I say Sonic Unleashed is waaaaay better than SA2 but w/e
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Super Empra

Quote from: windlessusher on March 31, 2009, 09:18:07 AM
I say Sonic Unleashed is waaaaay better than SA2 but w/e

Dats your opinion. At least the slow levels in SA2B were actually fun to play...

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Super Empra on March 31, 2009, 09:38:30 AM
Dats your opinion. At least the slow levels in SA2B were actually fun to play...
The Werehog parts of SU alone is better than SA2 to me
We're all different.But some ppl just can't deal with it  :-\
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

SonicFan47

Quote from: windlessusher on March 31, 2009, 10:11:09 AM
Well said, Wind!
Sig attempt #7!

Kristomaster

Quote from: windlessusher on March 31, 2009, 10:11:09 AM
The Werehog parts of SU alone is better than SA2 to me
+1 karma for you, couldn't have said it better myselves..
What would SEGA be without Sonic? I don't know XP
Anyways, SONIC RULES!

I'm back...

Super Sonic Boom

They went wrong after Sonic Adventure 2...Ryan Drummond's voice was bad in Sonic Heroes, the SEGA Dreamcast failed, contravery over the 4Kids cast taking over (it's fine with me), and SEGA is trying to compete with the other high rollers (Mario, Zelda, and Metroid)! The question is why... why did they mak-- no...LET SONIC GO DOWNHILL!  ;D

ultimate life form

like i sed in a dif topic. mario fans. ign are mario fans. no, matter how stupid mario is they'll rate it higher than any other sonic games. SATBK has a talkin sword and ign rate it 3/10 and super mario sunshine has a talkin watergun i think and ign rated it 9.4/10. WTFH
:P XD place signature here XD :P

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Super Sonic Boom on April 11, 2009, 09:29:09 AM
They went wrong after Sonic Adventure 2...Ryan Drummond's voice was bad in Sonic Heroes, the SEGA Dreamcast failed, contravery over the 4Kids cast taking over (it's fine with me), and SEGA is trying to compete with the other high rollers (Mario, Zelda, and Metroid)! The question is why... why did they mak-- no...LET SONIC GO DOWNHILL!  ;D
You work for IGN don't you
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Super Empra

Quote from: windlessusher on April 12, 2009, 09:16:02 PM
You work for IGN don't you

He could be a Nintendo executive in disguise. IGNorant is plain stupid. SATBK is speedy, the sword gameplay is fun. Who cares if it has nothing to do with the main sonic storyline? Its part of the storybook series so it doesn't need too.

Super Sonic Boom

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

skyrus5150

I hate IGN they are stupid people who give the game a low score just becuz they cant play it well.

We
Eeeeeddddd d d dd

Super Sonic Boom

Quote from: windlessusher on April 16, 2009, 05:12:22 AM
I just highly disagree with it  ;)

THAT IS YOUR OPINION, IF YOU FAIL TO LISTEN TO ME THAN...I do not work for IGN!  ;D ;D ;D

Sonicdude

IGN dont know what they are talking about
Brawl code:4897-8216-5956
Jump Ultimate Stars:5199-3422-0617
Tatsunoko VS Capcom:0260-1745-5878

Hakudamashi

to answer the topic question:
Q.Where did Sonic go wrong?
A.Is it Sonic that went wrong?Or was it the standards of regular ppl?
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tixxy

IGN has no idea what they are talking about, SA2 is 10x as better as SA, and they still gave SA better ranks. The only thing in my opinion that ruined Sonic 06 was the LOADING, to much of it.

Super Empra

Quote from: Tixxy on April 24, 2009, 04:54:12 PM
IGN has no idea what they are talking about, SA2 is 10x as better as SA, and they still gave SA better ranks. The only thing in my opinion that ruined Sonic 06 was the LOADING, to much of it.

not everyone thinks that SA2 is better...

Tixxy

Quote from: Super Empra on April 24, 2009, 10:11:33 PM
not everyone thinks that SA2 is better...

True, but majority of the people voted on SA2

ChaosDazer

SA2 is better simply because of the chao.
witty sig caption

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Tixxy on April 24, 2009, 04:54:12 PM
I like SA 10x better than SA2
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tixxy

Quote from: windlessusher on April 25, 2009, 08:57:23 AM
I like SA 10x better than SA2

kk Wind =D. Sorry if my comment was too strong. I was a lil pissed off last night =D

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Tixxy on April 25, 2009, 11:13:59 AM
kk Wind =D. Sorry if my comment was too strong. I was a lil pissed off last night =D
ok,no harm done
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

JetTheHawk

Quote from: chaos101 on April 25, 2009, 04:26:21 AM
SA2 is better simply because of the chao.
Ya but SADX has chao also but i still think that sa2 is better
NO SIGNATURE

Tixxy

Quote from: jet on April 25, 2009, 05:38:48 PM
Ya but SADX has chao also but i still think that sa2 is better

If Sega did a remake of Sa2 and just did the graphic engineering they have, who knows what ranks that they can achieve.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Tixxy on April 25, 2009, 06:10:04 PM
If Sega did a remake of Sa2 and just did the graphic engineering they have, who knows what ranks that they can achieve.
Trust me,America will find SOMETHING to bitch about
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Super Empra

Quote from: windlessusher on April 25, 2009, 08:42:52 PM
Trust me,America will find SOMETHING to bitch about

forget america. there is still japan and europe.

Tixxy

I still think Sonic started going downhill with STH, not mostly cause of the stages and everything. But the anger management you need to beat the game. And the there was way too much loading in that game. Before you talk to the man, after you talk to the man, before the results screen, after the results screen. It was too overpowering.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Super Empra on April 25, 2009, 09:31:09 PM
forget america. there is still japan and europe.
but apparently only america's veiws count  :-\
it like only THEY decide whether Sonic should be hated or not >.< its annoying

YOUR NOT THE ONLY GODDAMN COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!!!!!
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Super Empra

Quote from: windlessusher on April 26, 2009, 07:38:16 AM

Sonic was voted UKs most favourate video game character. I can't believe that mario didn't win! Japan is where sonic comes from so their views are most important.

JetTheHawk

Quote from: windlessusher on April 26, 2009, 07:38:16 AM

Yep and i agree with ya :( Does everyone In Jamaica Say Sonic is better?
NO SIGNATURE

Hakudamashi

Quote from: jet on April 26, 2009, 07:46:16 AM
Yes  ;)

Everyone non-american down here says Mario is childish and crap >.<

Quote from: Super Empra on April 26, 2009, 07:39:41 AM
Sonic was voted UKs most favourate video game character. I can't believe that mario didn't win
Why?Mario fails :P
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

SonicFan47

Quote from: Super Empra on April 26, 2009, 07:39:41 AM
Sonic was voted UKs most favourate video game character. I can't believe that mario didn't win! Japan is where sonic comes from so their views are most important.
Quote from: jet on April 26, 2009, 07:46:16 AM
Quote from: windlessusher on April 26, 2009, 07:49:15 AM
Yes  ;)

Everyone non-american down here says Mario is childish and crap >.<
Why?Mario fails :P
Hey, guys?
Not to be rude, but could we please stop the nation-and-game-character bashing party, please?
Granted, America is/can be stuck on itself, and it's completely out of line. Our leaders have screwed up our nation, and anyone who wants to argue that can do so with me over the PM system.
As for Mario, "Everyone's entitled to an opinion."
                                -Montgomery Scott, Star Trek "The Trouble with Tribbles"

How did this point get so off-topic?
Sig attempt #7!

Hakudamashi

Quote from: SonicFan47 on April 28, 2009, 11:38:16 AM

"Everyone's entitled to an opinion."
                                -Montgomery Scott, Star Trek "The Trouble with Tribbles"

America doesn't think so

dunno,the offtopicness just comes natural :P
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tixxy

The off topicness isn't intentional. It just happens when someone does state their opinion and numerous arguments and theory's start to just drift the users away from the topic =D

RedCap-BlueSpikes

BS, sonic is still cool its just people keep thinking this:

Sonic+Gimmick=shit
Sonic+Running=BEST GAYME EVAR LAWLZ
it makes me sick, sonic is still cool and people ALWAYS
spew that "Sonic has lost alot of fans over the years"
but they never talk about the MILLIONS hes gained!
also, ANOTHER thing that makes me sick is the whole
"Sonic has not had a single good game since SA2/SA2B"
but thats not true look at Sonic Unleashed Sonic Heroes
Sonic Advance 1 2 and 3 Sonic Rush 1 and 2 Sonic Rivals 2
Mario & Sonic 1 and soon to be 2(it has sonic in the title so its classifed as a sonic game)
Sonic And The Secret Rings(that game got high scores) ect. so saying sonic
has no good new games is complete and TOTAL BS.

JetTheHawk

Quote from: MonictheDemon777 on April 28, 2009, 01:00:46 PM

Sonic+Gimmick=shit
Mario & Sonic 1 and soon to be 2(it has sonic in the title so its classifed as a sonic game)
Yep i agree with you but Places like the UK Rated Satbk almost 10 in every place and oh god when the UK saw Sonic Unleashed They loved it
NO SIGNATURE

SonicFan47

Quote from: windlessusher on April 28, 2009, 12:03:35 PM
America doesn't think so
That, my friend, is a sterotype. I think that I've met maybe 20 people my whole life who actually have that mentality (then again, I've only spent a rough total of 1.5 months outside of my state during my life).

Sonic+Gimmick=shit
And that, my good MonictheDemon777, is why nearly everyone (if not everyone) on this site hates the vast majority of game reviewers. They're all biased against Sonic.
Sig attempt #7!

Hakudamashi

Quote from: SonicFan47 on April 28, 2009, 01:19:03 PM
That, my friend, is a sterotype. I think that I've met maybe 20 people my whole life who actually have that mentality (then again, I've only spent a rough total of 1.5 months outside of my state during my life).
Well I haven't been proven wrong when I made that comment

Sonic+Gimmick=shit
ppl also focus too much that Sonic lost a few fans
the handheld Sonic games are over looked and ignored
and apparently game reviewers have the power to persuade most americans into beleiveing Sonic is crap now
I bet half of them:
a).Don't even know who Sonic is
b).Hasn't played any of the new games
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

RedCap-BlueSpikes

Quote from: windlessusher on April 28, 2009, 02:02:12 PM
Well I haven't been proven wrong when I made that comment
ppl also focus too much that Sonic lost a few fans
the handheld Sonic games are over looked and ignored
and apparently game reviewers have the power to persuade most americans into beleiveing Sonic is crap now
I bet half of them:
a).Don't even know who Sonic is
b).Hasn't played any of the new games

DING DING DING! WE HAVE A WINNER!

KevChaos86

Hey wind, I think Nightmare and I would care to disagree with your whole "Americans think Sonic sucks now" mentality... we're both from the U.S., heh. Need I remind you it was an American that gave you a place to voice your opinion about your support of Sonic? I'm not trying to fuel the internation fires here either, but I'd figure he and I aren't the only U.S. Sonic fans on this site. The simple fact of being here is proof of our support for him.   ;)
- Kev

Hakudamashi

Quote from: KevChaos86 on April 28, 2009, 04:00:56 PM
Hey wind, I think Nightmare and I would care to disagree with your whole "Americans think Sonic sucks now" mentality... we're both from the U.S., heh. Need I remind you it was an American that gave you a place to voice your opinion about your support of Sonic? I'm not trying to fuel the internation fires here either, but I'd figure he and I aren't the only U.S. Sonic fans on this site. The simple fact of being here is proof of our support for him.   ;)
>.<
Well that's possibly the biggest fail I've had here
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

KevChaos86

;D

Honestly though, don't feel too bad. Nobody'z Perfekt...  ;).
- Kev

Hakudamashi

Quote from: SuperSonic11 on June 03, 2009, 11:19:47 AM
Yeah Wind, I'm from the U.S. too. You got a problem with Americans?  >:(
yes
a very big one
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Super Empra

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

SonicFan47

Quote from: windlessusher on June 03, 2009, 11:20:57 AM
yes
a very big one
Me too (for the most part), and I live in the US.  :P
Sig attempt #7!

Hakudamashi

Quote from: SonicFan47 on June 04, 2009, 12:29:30 PM
Me too (for the most part), and I live in the US.  :P
ditto
so lets drop it
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

DJ Boredom

Hey Back On Topic Now...;_;

I give sonic this much, Sonic 1 was a classic and i still play it even today.
Some of the newer ones are just asinine, Sonic Riders was pretty much Sonic R with boards.

Shadic90 For this sig

dingadergen

Sonic went wrong when they made a 3d sonic game that had more characters than just sonic

Hakudamashi

Quote from: dingadergen on June 22, 2009, 12:10:26 PM
Sonic went wrong when they made a 3d sonic game that had more characters than just sonic
Really?Cause Sonic gained alot of fans when they did that :P
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Super Empra

Quote from: dingadergen on June 22, 2009, 12:10:26 PM

Isn't having more characters a good thing?

jkid101094

Sonic+Gimmick=****

I agree....I just hated the werehog levels in unleased........

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

gva 8000

Super Empra

Quote from: gva 8000 on June 28, 2009, 01:05:43 AM
sonic gennesis sucks

If they sucked then Sonic wouldn't exist today :P

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Super Empra on June 28, 2009, 01:09:12 AM
If they sucked then Sonic wouldn't exist today :P
You know as well as I do thats a lie
also,there are many(surprisingly) who also say it sux
And I think he meant the one for GBA
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Super Empra

Quote from: Windlessusher on June 28, 2009, 09:01:56 AM
You know as well as I do thats a lie
also,there are many(surprisingly) who also say it sux
And I think he meant the one for GBA

So your saying that if Sonic wasn't popular in Genesis times we would still be sonic fans?

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Super Empra on June 28, 2009, 09:04:06 AM
So your saying that if Sonic wasn't popular in Genesis times we would still be sonic fans?
You forget,some of us aren't Sonic fans because of the Genesis ;)
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Super Empra

Quote from: Windlessusher on June 28, 2009, 09:05:06 AM
You forget,some of us aren't Sonic fans because of the Genesis ;)

I know, but would SA exist without Sonic 1? If sonic never became popular then SA probably wouldn't exist.

Skyle369

Quote from: Super Empra on June 28, 2009, 10:38:02 PM
I know, but would SA exist without Sonic 1? If sonic never became popular then SA probably wouldn't exist.

Thats true.

Sega was motivated to make better Sonic games after Sonic 1 because the fans love it so they made Sonic 2 more cooler than it then the process goes on and on and on...

m3gam0nk3ys

Yeah they really can't do good reviews they usually make games look and sounds bad
Thanks to Phoenix

Hakudamashi

Quote from: m3gam0nk3ys on June 29, 2009, 09:45:36 PM
Yeah they really can't do good reviews they usually make games look and sounds bad
Unless Mario,guns or pr0n is involved
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

SonicFan47

Quote from: gva 8000 on June 28, 2009, 01:05:43 AM
sonic gennesis sucks
If you mean the GBA game, I agree. That is an absolutely crappy game.
If you mean the Genesis version,...I still actually agree. I got hooked on Sonic 2 and I couldn't stand not having the spin dash.
Sig attempt #7!

Hakudamashi

Quote from: SonicFan47 on June 30, 2009, 02:58:43 PM
If you mean the Genesis version,...I still actually agree. I got hooked on Sonic 2 and I couldn't stand not having the spin dash.
It's just not the same
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

SonicFan47

Sig attempt #7!

shaneme3

I not going to read all of this so im just going to say what I just thought up, maybe one of the reasons that sonic is getting worse is beacuse Sega doesn't make us wait for a game. I mean think, all those games (if they are good) seem absoulty amazing if you wait for it for at least a month, but Sega is realesing a new sonic game every year, while all the really good games seem to take many years to create, due to new enginges to run brand new games.
"Of course we're in Canada, thats why all the pigs taste like bacon!" My youtube channel, please check it out! http://www.youtube.com/user/shaneme3?feature=mhee

SonicFan47

Quote from: shaneme3 on July 03, 2009, 06:48:28 PM
I not going to read all of this so im just going to say what I just thought up, maybe one of the reasons that sonic is getting worse is beacuse Sega doesn't make us wait for a game. I mean think, all those games (if they are good) seem absoulty amazing if you wait for it for at least a month, but Sega is realesing a new sonic game every year, while all the really good games seem to take many years to create, due to new enginges to run brand new games.
Be careful what you say.
Rouge Leader, one of the Gamecube launch titles, was made in 8 months and it's a good game.
Sig attempt #7!

Nightshade the hedgehog

*shoots ign*

hate them now

sonic ftw
once made by killer ,redone by supersonic196 ,thanx guys :)
yes i am,thanx firestar :)
thanks mikey thanks ecco
fan of ashura ,made by teh shadicz ,thanks for it :)

manman1235

I'll tell you when he started going bad, that human Elise... Humans aren't supposed to be in sonic games, let alone make out with Sonic... why do you think Robotnik (Eggman) gets owned in every game??

visualboy64

sa2 and sa2b are basicly the same

SonicFan47

Quote from: visualboy64 on August 23, 2009, 03:44:47 PM
sa2 and sa2b are basicly the same
Uh...well...basically?
Yes.
There are some significant changes, though.
Sig attempt #7!

visualboy64

Quote from: SonicFan47 on August 23, 2009, 03:47:53 PM
Uh...well...basically?
Yes.
There are some significant changes, though.

well i meant the story line

darkscamp

IGN do rubbish reviews but they do do great cheats and walkthroughs

I don't get why they don't like sonic its a classic!

SonicFan47

Quote from: visualboy64 on August 23, 2009, 04:18:49 PM
well i meant the story line
Ah.
In that case, you're spot on.
Quote from: darkscamp on August 28, 2009, 11:17:47 AM
I don't get why they don't like sonic its a classic!
That's exactly what they like.
The Sonic classics.
Not the new stuff.
Buncha' Genesis Junkies...
Sig attempt #7!

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

SonicFan47

Quote from: Windlessusher on August 28, 2009, 07:12:46 PM
I see you've been using that word alot
Yeah, I've grown to love it.
Thanks for introducing me.
Sig attempt #7!

azlj01

IGN are hater not stupid they are Mario fans. Sonic Unleash is a badass game they can't admit that.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: SonicFan47 on August 29, 2009, 08:03:50 AM
Yeah, I've grown to love it.
Thanks for introducing me.
um..no problem?
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

smbcomix

So... I'm not the only gamer who doesn't like IGN (or any critics)?

I guess I'm not alone.

HereAndThere

Quote from: smbcomix on November 27, 2009, 11:00:45 PM
So... I'm not the only gamer who doesn't like IGN (or any critics)?

I guess I'm not alone.
Almosy all of the members here hate IGN (Or so i think.)
And btw, you should have noticed that this topic had already died.
So you bumped it.

Barc

only one word to this SONIC X and JASON GRIFITH

Hakudamashi

Quote from: shadic the ultimate on November 28, 2009, 06:36:11 AM
only one word to this SONIC X and JASON GRIFITH
I'm almost sure that is 5 words
or 4 words if you want to be technical
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Craats

BUMP!

Ign isnt that bad, it just revieuws games their own way, thats just how they think games recieve a score. personally, i think its too bad the newest sonic games didnt launch for PC.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Craats on November 29, 2009, 08:34:16 AM
BUMP!

Ign isnt that bad, it just revieuws games their own way, thats just how they think games recieve a score. personally, i think its too bad the newest sonic games didnt launch for PC.
Their way stinks

and BOO Microsoft
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay