Mario 3D Land's Tanooki Suit Revival isn't OK with PETA

Started by Rulep, November 15, 2011, 02:27:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rulep

The Tanooki suit's comeback in Super Mario 3D Land was exciting news for fans of the old Super Mario Bros. 3 power-up, of which there are many. Not everyone is pleased with its return, and it's not due to it being less powerful in 3D Land. People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals is concerned the Tanooki suit is encouraging the wearing of furs, something the group obviously isn't too pleased about.

"When on a mission to rescue the princess, Mario has been known to use any means necessary to defeat his enemy -- even wearing the skin of a raccoon dog to give him special powers," reads a message on a new PETA website (via Kotaku) launched to bring awareness to that cold-hearted Mario.

"Tanooki may be just a 'suit' in Mario games, but in real life, tanuki are raccoon dogs who are skinned alive for their fur. By wearing Tanooki, Mario is sending the message that it's OK to wear fur."

There's more than just a website intended to raise awareness -- similar to what PETA has done to protest games like Super Meat Boy (with a game called Super Tofu Boy) in the past, it's launched a parody game called Super Tanooki Skin 2D that you can play here. The objective? "Help Tanooki reclaim his fur."

The game is a simple, 2D platformer where Mario can be seen flying in the sky with a Tanooki suit-looking costume on -- and it's dripping with blood, of course. You play as a Tanooki who has been skinned by Mario with the goal of reaching Mario to get your fur back. You do this while collecting coins, jumping over obstacles, and avoiding pits. Failing to do either of the latter two will kill the Tanooki you're playing as, which seems like a strange mechanic to see in a game designed by PETA.

Also located on the site is a link where you can pledge to be fur-free and a video. It starts out harmlessly enough, only to suddenly cut to some disturbing footage of real-life tanuki being beaten, skinned, and killed for their fur.

However you may feel about the topic -- and it's hard not to feel bad after watching the video -- it doesn't really seem like Mario is the key proponent of wearing animal furs. The ultimate goal, of course, is to bring people's attention to the issue, and in that way, they've succeeded.

Source:http://www.1up.com/news/mario-3d-land-tanooki-suit-not-ok-with-peta

Video

Rulep: do you ever fall in love with yourself
Captain Nook: for me, there could never be anyone else.
Captain Nook: I've spent hours looking in the mirror.

Tanassy

Things like this do not move me at all. It's retarded.. I have nothing more to say, but that these people are a bunch of retards.

And, what if some kid searches up Mario and accidentally stumbles upon that video?
I don't know what they're trying to prove.

gamerdude260

That game creeped me out. It looked a creepypasta game

And I agree wiith Riko. These things are stupid. They just gross people out and push them away from giving a shit about PETA. I mean. IT'S A FREAKING CHILD'S GAME. WHO THE HELL CARES!? Seriously.

And the video. I don't know if PETA recorded it or they just got it from a source. But why show it? Like. How's that going to get anyone to become fur-free? Fur is always going to be worn. Meats going to be eaten.

Peta can't brain. They have the dumb

TheGameNinja

PETA pulls this crap all the time. They go about what they try to do all wrong. They've done this exact thing before and its as illegal as using a copyrighted song in an AMV. Maybe even worse because PETA does make money through stuff like this. But do they get sued? Well, yes, I think they do but they always get the case thrown out or settle out of court or something.

Anyway, PETA has always been crazy. Wanting animals to be treated fairly and what those people do are completely different things.

shadowDOESrock

...yes, a jump n' run aimed for the younger audience will make them go into the one special expensive store around their village to buy a fucking raccoon skin suit.

GENIOUS.

jkid101094

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Just saw this on IGN Daily Fix, even Naomi thinks it's stupid

This is encouraging me to buy and wear more fur coats JUST to piss them off >=/
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

EchidnaPower

Well I dunno about the rest of you, but I for one am moved...to post my own video. Everytime I read an article about these people, I have the undeniable urge to watch Brad Stine...particularly this skit.

I love Jesus! Do you?

jkid101094

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.