Will Wright fails

Started by Supersonic196, February 19, 2011, 06:52:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Supersonic196

THE FACES OF EEEEVIL.

"The video game legend, who created "The Sims" and "SimCity," would surely have had no trouble selling his new idea to Electronic Arts or any competing game publisher.
Instead, Wright shopped his project, called "Bar Karma," to television studios.
"Games are not the right medium to tell stories," Wright said in a recent interview. "Video games are more about story possibilities."

Says the guy that comes up with ant and city SIMULATION games.
really, has he ever played a game besides his own or mario?
just look at Metal Gear Solid, Heavy Rain, Zelda, Fable, Little King's Story, Phantasy Star, Cave Story, Metroid, Shenmue... even Sonic Adventure!....
The list goes on, yet another reason i'm glad i boycotted EA a LONG time ago.

Tanassy

He has a point. While storytelling is done well, it isn't done through the game itself, but rather throught cutscenes and sound, etc. That's a totally different medium.

Supersonic196

Quote from: BloodFury~ DFX on February 19, 2011, 07:05:16 AM
He has a point. While storytelling is done well, it isn't done through the game itself, but rather throught cutscenes and sound, etc. That's a totally different medium.
have you played knytt? it really sucks you in, but there's no dialog.
the scenery and enviroments tell a story of their own, and it really makes you wonder.

but i digress, maybe i've played a bit too many indie games, as most of them are super atmospheric. in Mainsteam media it really is the cuscenes and dialog telling the story, but for what it's worth, the cutscenes and dialog do a pretty good job of it.

Tanassy

Quote from: supersonic196 on February 19, 2011, 07:18:16 AM
have you played knytt? it really sucks you in, but there's no dialog.
the scenery and enviroments tell a story of their own, and it really makes you wonder.

but i digress, maybe i've played a bit too many indie games, as most of them are super atmospheric. in Mainsteam media it really is the cuscenes and dialog telling the story, but for what it's worth, the cutscenes and dialog do a pretty good job of it.
Unfortunately, Scenery and environment is part of art. That's another medium.
I really don't like going against you so blatantly, but it's true.. ^^;;

He does have a wrong point though. Games aren't really a medium, they are a platform for other mediums. It makes sense if you think like me. xD

Supersonic196

Quote from: BloodFury~ DFX on February 19, 2011, 07:21:18 AM
Games aren't really a medium, they are a platform for other mediums.
well said.

Tanassy

Quote from: supersonic196 on February 19, 2011, 07:23:58 AM
well said.
Thank you.
To tell the truth, i only really realized it just now.
:3