MOTHERTRUCKING ZOMBIES, WHEN WILL IT END? D:<

Started by Hakudamashi, December 11, 2011, 03:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanassy

chet

I'm just hoping that Halo 4 doesn't feature the flood.
Your reading my sig
2. Now your saying/thinking thats a stupid fact.
4. You didnt notice that i skipped 3.
5. Your checking it now.
6. Your smiling.
7. Your still reading my signature.
8. You know all you have read is true.
10. You didnt notice that i skipped 9.
11. Your checking it now.
12. You didnt notice there are only 10 facts
O o
/¯/___________________________ _ __/
| ITS OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!
\_\¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯ ¯¯

Supersonic196

Quote from: jkid101094 on December 11, 2011, 03:13:30 PM
I was just thinking about this. I don't like them either but it's not the BIGGEST problem.
If you're going to complain about something it should be about generic space-marine shooters, or super manly
Americans-kill-every-other-country-that-speaks-a-different-language shooters.

I haven't ever really played a zombie game besides house of the dead, and I thought it was alright, however modern day zombie games just seem so dull, and they don't have near as much hype as the aforementioned two genres of shooter.

Zombies to me show a lack of creativity, they need a sack of meat to shoot without offending anyone, so they add zombies, some convoluted plot that involves 'the last survivors', add a stack of guns and bam, the next hit zombie game.

While I consider almost all zombie titles as mere shovelware, some of them can be fun for about 15 minutes. That's my opinion anyway, I know some people really get into them, and that's aright with me, most people don't understand my love for indie games...

And I do enjoy a good round of Halo from time to time, Sci-Fi shooters can be amazing if done right,
however playing as a super macho testosterone fueled refrigerator with tourettes in Gears of War shows the utter stupidity that the genre is capable of.

However modern warfare shooters are what sicken me, when events that have young men and women dying is made into a game for the entertainment of some homophobic eleven year old kid, that just disgusts me, meanwhile the developers themselves are making millions by sitting around going "put more scriptid explosions an bullitz thurr"
It just bothers me that a company can become successful by continuing to put out garbage with fancy graphics...

So during my rant I've realized that zombie games aren't a problem, at all. Sure they're everywhere, but hey, at least that's one less 'shoot-arab-people-to-drop-the-bomb-thing-to-win-the-game-to-call-people-faggot' type game.

Jazz Nova

Quote from: chet on December 18, 2011, 01:08:03 PM
I'm just hoping that Halo 4 doesn't feature the flood.
+2

Quote from: supersonic196 on December 18, 2011, 01:12:50 PM
If you're going to complain about something it should be about generic space-marine shooters, or super manly

I haven't ever really played a zombie game besides house of the dead, and I thought it was alright, however modern day zombie games just seem so dull, and they don't have near as much hype as the aforementioned two genres of shooter.

Zombies to me show a lack of creativity, they need a sack of meat to shoot without offending anyone, so they add zombies, some convoluted plot that involves 'the last survivors', add a stack of guns and bam, the next hit zombie game.

While I consider almost all zombie titles as mere shovelware, some of them can be fun for about 15 minutes. That's my opinion anyway, I know some people really get into them, and that's aright with me, most people don't understand my love for indie games...

And I do enjoy a good round of Halo from time to time, Sci-Fi shooters can be amazing if done right,
however playing as a super macho testosterone fueled refrigerator with tourettes in Gears of War shows the utter stupidity that the genre is capable of.

However modern warfare shooters are what sicken me, when events that have young men and women dying is made into a game for the entertainment of some homophobic eleven year old kid, that just disgusts me, meanwhile the developers themselves are making millions by sitting around going "put more scriptid explosions an bullitz thurr"
It just bothers me that a company can become successful by continuing to put out garbage with fancy graphics...

So during my rant I've realized that zombie games aren't a problem, at all. Sure they're everywhere, but hey, at least that's one less 'shoot-arab-people-to-drop-the-bomb-thing-to-win-the-game-to-call-people-faggot' type game.

What's the name of that british reviewer who hates spacemarine shooters and pretty much every game her reviews?
Thanks, firestar and kirbysoul, respectively

Tanassy

You're sickened far too easily.
Also- Gears of War is actually a good series.

Supersonic196

Quote from: Riko Sapphire on December 18, 2011, 06:40:20 PM
You're sickened far too easily.
Also- Gears of War is actually a good series.
Each to his own I suppose, I was a bit ticked when I wrote that... SOPA n' all that....
Quote from: Jazz Nova on December 18, 2011, 02:40:07 PM
What's the name of that british reviewer who hates spacemarine shooters and pretty much every game her reviews?
That would be Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation.

While this:
*unnecessary rant about generic military shooters*
was fueled by another annoyance, and most of it was said in haste. I still dislike modern military shooters, I'm not sickened by them, just a bit annoyed  :P
Although the writing and in modern warfare 3 is the most disgusting thing to ever taint the earth...

I suppose we're off topic now...

Tanassy

It did seem rather in haste and also very one-sided.. you seemed to forget that in an industry where imagination, innovation and creativity are first-hand, it means for the lack of one there is another. Where creativity is not in most of these military shooters, imagination is. As in, these may be real, controversial and bloody events, but what is on screen is generally not meant to be taken to heart, or in the case of most WWII shooters for example.. it's like another way to never forget.

I play shooters a lot, some of them third and first person 'murder simulators', as the media likes to call them. I enjoy them. A lot of other people also enjoy them. But would I really kill someone? No, I'd hate myself forever even if I killed someone by accident or even had a 1% involvement in a death.

Sci-Fi shooters are no different, you kill things, often in even more interesting ways because of the technology. But it's just another emphasis of "imagination".

On a side note; these "homophobic 11 years olds" you speak of.. what exactly drove you to say this?

--
To be a little more on topic, I agree that zombies are well... a lack of creativity for the most part. but they are a tool that can be used for many things very effectively. Sometimes they are really just slow moving targets that you need to shoot, and that makes them boring, and the game fails.
But there are games where zombies very varied, and very powerful in great amounts, which makes for an overwhelming, climactic and fast paced game. The are times when Zombies are slow, scarce, almost impossible, or impossible to kill, which makes for a scary, claustrophobic horror type game.
And there's house of the dead which.. well, you get your fun from that game by having the best possible aim and reflexes.

But like I said.. Zombies are beginning to lose focus in gaming. There still will be a few dedicated Zombie-type games, but no longer is it every game company throwing a zombie mode into a game without any particular reason. (The only case in which I liked that was in RDR)
Even the new Resident evil is (currently) completely devoid of Zombies, and instead uses other various things to scare your nuts off.

PurpleOrangePoo

*Is patiently awaiting Left 4 dead 3* The more zombies the better if you ask me. But really, there aren't enough Zombie Themed Games, I mean you got the Halo Saga, CoD, FF, Sonic, Mario, Zelda etc etc, what more could you possibly want?

Supersonic196

Quote from: Riko Sapphire on December 18, 2011, 08:37:59 PM
On a side note; these "homophobic 11 years olds" you speak of.. what exactly drove you to say this?
heheh, I'm not sure how it is in Australia, but if you play with someone from America the the conversation goes like this "faggotfaggotfaggotfaggotfaggotfaggotfaggotfaggotfaggotfaggot"
Not that I've played online, but whenever a friend plays it, that basically sums up the radio chatter from the other players.

Anywho, as previously stated, someof them can be fun, however I've yet to find one that interests me, House of the Dead is essentially a reflex trial, and I found it quite enjoyable as it knows that it's completely ridiculous and doesn't take itself seriously at all, that's not to say I don't enjoy good writing, but it doesn't try to be something it's not.
However I may be extremely biased on the House of the Dead series, as I have a working SEGA light gun for my Dreamcast...
But even still, I found the Wii entry enjoyable, not as enjoyable as the Dreamcast version, but sufficient.

If we could get a Zombie game with a good storyline, that'd change my tune quite a bit. Even Left for Dead 1-2 fell short of anything really impressive story wise in my opinion, this came as a surprise seeing as valve can work story into an FPS fantastically.

I know what you're probably thinking, zombie games don't need impressive stories, right?
It seems to me like storytelling in games is becoming a lost art, we got Skyrim and Skyward Sword this year, both were amazing. However one can't help but wonder why games like MW3, with some of the (sorry) worst writing I've ever seen, continue to outsell brilliant works of art in gaming form.
Forgive me for being blunt, but at the end of the day you could either have experienced a deep and memorable storyline, or shot some arabs.

I guess my main hatred for CoD comes from the fanboys, the people who refuse to play anything unless it has explosions every two seconds. The people who hate on every other series that exist. And the simple fact that Activision is associated with the series brings it down a bit in my opinion.
I judge games on the singleplayer experience, as rating it on the multiplayer experience is completely based on chance, you could have the best time of your life playing online, or you could have the worst.

If they would focus a bit more on the storyline both modern military shooters and zombie games would be amazing games to me, however they would need to teach the writers about other emotions than hate, smugness and fear.
In zombie games fear is completely appropriate as the main emotion, however the writers need to do better than "aaaahhh"

Tanassy

Dead Island is a Zombie game with a very acceptable story. There's even a novel that explains the entire back-story and there's also a movie and a sequel in the works.

have you actually played MW3 to say that it has a bad story? Besides, the reason it outsells things like Skyrim and Zelda is because of it's multiplayer, and the competitive, fun online play. I can't speak from experience there, but a game is not popular for no reason. people play these games and they enjoy them, and that is that.

And again, a lot of your post is very blunt..
"you could either have experienced a deep and memorable storyline, or shot some arabs."
not true at all. some of the most memorable games have no storyline at all. And the last bit is just completely uncalled for.

Some shooters do have good stories but most companies tend to prefer gameplay without thought. Such is very often the best gameplay, as you don't generally think about story when obliterating your friends and screaming at them over a mic. (I do this too)

Supersonic196

I might have to try Dead Island then. Or read the novel. Or both.

And no, I haven't played MW3, I went over to friends, he played through MW3, I played through Generations 3DS and Mario 3D land.
I'm not saying that CoD can't be fun, I'm just saying that I wish there was more thought put into it.
That said, I'm one to enjoy a good round of Counterstrike, a game with absolutely no story whatsoever, however it doesn't take itself seriously.

Quote from: Riko Sapphire on December 19, 2011, 08:32:16 AM
Some shooters do have good stories but most companies tend to prefer gameplay without thought.
Sad but true.
I found the Halo series to have a rather good plot, and creative gameplay, Half life pulls this off as well.

Tanassy

It's not sad if they aren't trying to put on a great story. They're putting on great action though and a lot of great moments. And that's what really makes it what it is.

Supersonic196

Quote from: Riko Sapphire on December 19, 2011, 09:07:53 AM
It's not sad if they aren't trying to put on a great story. They're putting on great action though and a lot of great moments. And that's what really makes it what it is.
I see what you mean, I mean, I loved generations, and the story in that was the worst I've ever seen in a sonic game.

Tanassy

Quote from: supersonic196 on December 19, 2011, 10:11:44 AM
I see what you mean, I mean, I loved generations, and the story in that was the worst I've ever seen in a sonic game.
yes but unlike SG's facepalm moments, Modern Warfare is actually engaging, and amazing to watch. it takes itself seriously, and comes off as serious.
SG takes itself seriously and looks like a joke.