In America, 3DS Gets an $80.00 Price Cut.

Started by jkid101094, July 28, 2011, 02:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkid101094

Quote from: DestructoidNintendo has announced that they will be changing the manufacturer suggested retail price for their Nintendo 3DS handheld worldwide. The gaming system which launched less than five months ago at $249 will be available for a mere $169.99 come August 12. Similar cuts are occurring in Japan, Europe and Australia.

Did you catch that? It's an $80 price cut. That's almost 30% off of the original asking price for a product that fans and loyalists bought on the promise that great things were coming when nothing has come. And now this in less than six months. But don't worry. Nintendo has a plan for those of us who feel a bit chafed.

See, Nintendo understands the needs of the core customers who bought in early to feel satisfied with their purchase. So they're going to give everybody who bought a 3DS prior to this point the opportunity to download a collection of 10 NES games for free before they hit the eShop. They'll also be giving out ten Game Boy Advance titles, including Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3, Mario Kart: Super Circuit, Metroid Fusion, WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong, before the end of the year. These GBA games are currently expected to be exclusive to early adopters or, as Nintendo calls them, "Ambassadors."

So, you're going to get twenty old games for free, some of which are very old and have already been milked to death on other downloadable platforms (NES games include Super Mario Bros., Donkey Kong Jr., Balloon Fight, Ice Climber and The Legend of Zelda). This is supposed to make up for it.

I'm not the sort of guy who wants something for free. I'm glad that they're admitting that they're bending over their core consumers and offering them some form of compensation for the pleasure, but they can keep their exclusive downloads of games I bought from them at least once already. I just hope this teaches us all a lesson in early adoption.

Source.

So the 3DS got an $80 price cut...maybe now I can actually fuggin' buy one. :3

Thanks to Gelatos, a buddy of mine, for finding this.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Tanassy

It's being cut by $100 here, but I'm getting one before hand so I can get 20 free games. =P

TheGameNinja

I'd rather get the real games than the eShop versions, so I'll wait for the drop.

Not that I can afford it right now anyway. :P

SmashFinale

i mentioned this earlier in the chat and got negative feedback...

Hakudamashi

I f*cking missed out on a ton of sh*t this summer cause of the cash I spent on this, hell I don't even has any games for it.
You can only imagine my rage
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tanassy

Quote from: windlessusher on July 28, 2011, 05:57:30 PM
I f*cking missed out on a ton of sh*t this summer cause of the cash I spent on this, hell I don't even has any games for it.
You can only imagine my rage
You get 20 free games?

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Jazz Nova

Horray. Price drop.
Now, it's easier to get.
When I get it.
Sometime.
Thanks, firestar and kirbysoul, respectively

SmashFinale

Fiamonder

Quote from: SmashFinale on July 29, 2011, 12:58:13 PM
it aint August 12 yet

Not only America though. At my local store too, but on the 6th of August...

First try at making a sig, It's decent.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: SmashFinale on July 29, 2011, 12:58:13 PM
it aint August 12 yet
I don't live in America, so I get nothing, except a further feeling of shame.
Unless it's everywhere, but it'll only ease the pain slightly
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tanassy

Everyone gets the free games as long as they log on to eStore before the 12th. I'm in australia and I get them, for example. It's not just the US.

It's  about $120 worth of free games.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Quote from: windlessusher on July 29, 2011, 04:54:42 PM
So does it end August 12 or start
The games end in August and the price cut begins in August.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Tanassy

As long as you sign in before the 12th you are an ambassador. The games arrive on Sept. 1st for ambassadors, which is early access, and even exclusive access in GBA's case