Main Menu

Halo 4

Started by shadowDOESrock, April 15, 2012, 08:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkid101094

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on April 20, 2012, 06:31:28 AM
but its still a fuck ton of quality content, that not everyone might enjoy.
This is what I'm trying to prick at, here.

It seems pointless to do things in such big bursts, it takes up way much more space for the maps and the fact that are so many will most likely cause them to be pushed out faster and degrade the overall quality. Would you rather have 5 amazing maps on your hard drive or a combo of 52 good and shitty ones?

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Supersonic196

Quote from: jkid101094 on April 20, 2012, 06:35:00 AM
This is what I'm trying to prick at, here.

It seems pointless to do things in such big bursts, it takes up way much more space for the maps and the fact that are so many will most likely cause them to be pushed out faster and degrade the overall quality. Would you rather have 5 amazing maps on your hard drive or a combo of 52 good and shitty ones?
Well I guess it depends on what kind of editor they have to make the maps. If they need to hardcode each one, than we can probably expect some sloppy, rushed, glitchy, terrible maps. BUT if they've come up with an editor that allows the programmer to arrange premade objects in a drag and drop fashion, then a week would be more than enough time to design and test a decent map.

I'm assuming that's what they're doing. coding a new level each week would be shooting themselves in the foot.

SmashFinale

Could just be community maps.

Tanassy

Quote from: supersonic196 on April 20, 2012, 08:21:16 AM
Well I guess it depends on what kind of editor they have to make the maps. If they need to hardcode each one, than we can probably expect some sloppy, rushed, glitchy, terrible maps. BUT if they've come up with an editor that allows the programmer to arrange premade objects in a drag and drop fashion, then a week would be more than enough time to design and test a decent map.

I'm assuming that's what they're doing. coding a new level each week would be shooting themselves in the foot.

The Halo engines have always been drag-drop type things, hence why the set pieces have often been very large and alive in small dev cycles.

Quote from: jkid101094 on April 20, 2012, 03:34:00 AM
52 free Co-Op maps my ass.

I won't believe it until I see it.

If this does happen I can almost guarantee that every map will be shitty. There's no way, in my mind, that they can pump out one great, original map every week for an entire year, even if they were made beforehand they'll probably all have the same budget and time spent on them.

This is also assuming they can afford it. They most likely plan on making the money spent on maps with game sales. If Halo 4 sells like shit they might end up charging for some maps or dropping the idea completely.

On top of that, think of the hard drive space that'll eat up.

They'll probably be enhancing old maps too, as well as creating new ones. They've got a pretty good team, and maps will be of varying size and probably based upon areas already made within the game. lrn2gamedevelop

Also, maps only take up a few megs. Maybe more if they use new textures and what-not, but that's it, it'll never be over like... 20.

I guarantee you this game will not sell shit. I am confident in saying that..

Jazz Nova

Are we only talking about the muliplayer?
What about the story?
343 is actually introducing a new species of enemy. Not a new Covenant or Flood. A new race. I felt the need to say that.
Thanks, firestar and kirbysoul, respectively

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: Jazz Nova on April 22, 2012, 03:09:57 AM
Are we only talking about the muliplayer?
What about the story?
343 is actually introducing a new species of enemy. Not a new Covenant or Flood. A new race. I felt the need to say that.

The Covenant will return as well, though i am not sure why? Thought we had Galaxy-Peace at the end of Halo 3?
At least with the Elites? But those are returning as well?

I have no clue how the Elites fit back in? Does that mean the arbiter will be back?
Or how many years have actually passed since Halo 3?
Is it like in Aliens where the Protagonist wakes up 50 years later?
Why are there new Spartans?

So many questions.

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: Iris Sapphire on April 20, 2012, 04:39:09 PM
small dev cycles

Halo 1, 2 & 3 all had a huge dev cycle.

Halo 4 was in development since 2007 by 343, then after Pandemic was closed by EA, 343 snatched all the people from there to get enough people for this huge project.

Bungie in the meantime made an Halo 3 Expansion Pack called ODST (which was delayed for a year, even though it was done) & Reach.
Reach beeing made the quickest.

Then they hired 'Saber Interactive' (TimeShift) to make Halo Anniversary, while 343 looked over the project.

Or am i missing something here?

SmashFinale

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on May 09, 2012, 05:33:14 AM

Halo 4 was in development since 2007 by 343, then after Pandemic was closed by EA, 343 snatched all the people from there to get enough people for this huge project.

Bungie in the meantime made an Halo 3 Expansion Pack called ODST (which was delayed for a year, even though it was done) & Reach.

Then they hired 'Saber Interactive' (TimeShift) to make Halo Anniversary, while 343 looked over the project.

i think you forgot to mention the fact that Microsoft Studios decided to be a douche and charge a full $60 for ODST instead of the $30 it was supposed to be.

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: SmashFinale on May 09, 2012, 09:44:37 AM
i think you forgot to mention the fact that Microsoft Studios decided to be a douche and charge a full $60 for ODST instead of the $30 it was supposed to be.

i didnt forget to mention that, but it has nothing to do with this. like, at all.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on May 09, 2012, 05:33:14 AM

Wait, so Halo 3 was never intended to be the final game? Then what was all the "Finish the Fight" hype about?
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: windlessusher on May 09, 2012, 10:26:49 AM
Wait, so Halo 3 was never intended to be the final game? Then what was all the "Finish the Fight" hype about?

Finishing the Story-Arc.
It was kinda obvious considering how Halo 3 ended.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on May 09, 2012, 10:46:33 AM
Finishing the Story-Arc.
It was kinda obvious considering how Halo 3 ended.
*Has only played Halo 1*
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: windlessusher on May 09, 2012, 11:01:12 AM
*Has only played Halo 1*

Halo becomes pretty story-heavy with Halo 2.

You can still crack buy Halo 2 for PC.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on May 09, 2012, 11:04:41 AM
Halo becomes pretty story-heavy with Halo 2.
Now I remember, it was the whole rage about the abrupt ending of Halo 2 that made me not want to continue with the franchise... seems like a silly reason now that I think about it...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: windlessusher on May 09, 2012, 11:07:17 AM
Now I remember, it was the whole rage about the abrupt ending of Halo 2 that made me not want to continue with the franchise... seems like a silly reason now that I think about it...

The Halo 2 Ending.
Classic Cliffhanger.

But i must say, the worst cliffhanger i experienced was the in 4th Resident Evil Movie. Just when the movie was actually getting great.

...and then the credits roll.

...but i'm getting off-track here, sorry.