That Feminist Gamer Girl Did a Thing (DERAILED)

Started by jkid101094, January 10, 2014, 05:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hakudamashi

I do however, disagree with her.
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: Hakudamashi on October 08, 2014, 09:13:12 AM
I do however, disagree with her.

What exactly do you disagree with?

Hakudamashi

Well, correct me if I'm wrong cause I haven't seen the video in forever.

But I remember disagreeing with her views on Peach and Zelda, and the Damsel in distress troupe as a whole.
And I remember something about that she essentially describes a "good" female character as a man with tits, which, just no.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: Hakudamashi on October 08, 2014, 09:49:25 AM
But I remember disagreeing with her views on Peach and Zelda, and the Damsel in distress troupe as a whole.

You don't agree that Peach and Zelda almost always being helpless damsels in distress is sexist?

Quote from: Hakudamashi on October 08, 2014, 09:49:25 AM
And I remember something about that she essentially describes a "good" female character as a man with tits, which, just no.

That's literally the opposite of what she thinks.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Elija2 on October 08, 2014, 10:24:45 AM
You don't agree that Peach and Zelda almost always being helpless damsels in distress is sexist?
No
It's not sexist if Peach can't fight back against a fire breathing spiked turtle monster, Peach just can't fight against a fire breathing spiked turtle monster.
I never took that as sexist against women, I always took it as Bowser's army>Peach's army, if anything, the Toads oughta step up their game, cause Mario does all the work.

And it's not sexist against women if Ganondorf is stronger than Zelda, Ganondorf is just stronger than Zelda, Triforce of Power mofo.

And they're not even helpless, there are more than one games where Peach gives you items to help you while she's locked up, and Zelda has them light arrows that rek Ganon's shit once you free her.

Not to mention they're both authority figures whose very presence brings peace and calm to their kingdoms, regardless of what their actual duties are. Authority figures are normally targeted for kidnapping if nothing else than to cause distress among the people.

Quote from: Elija2 on October 08, 2014, 10:24:45 AM

She's talking about the Minnie Mouse effect

I'm talking about when she described a "good" female character as strong and rough and tough and don't need nobody.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Don't humor the brainwashed, Wind. You won't change their opinions.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: jkid101094 on October 08, 2014, 11:03:52 AM

Hakudamashi

Good thing I'm not here to change his opinion then.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: Hakudamashi on October 08, 2014, 10:47:59 AM
It's not sexist if Peach can't fight back against a fire breathing spiked turtle monster, Peach just can't fight against a fire breathing spiked turtle monster.
I never took that as sexist against women, I always took it as Bowser's army>Peach's army, if anything, the Toads oughta step up their game, cause Mario does all the work.

After 13 mainline Mario games where Peach is kidnapped, you'd think she'd learn to stick up for herself.

And Peach totally can fight against big strong monsters. She does so twice in both Super Mario Bros 2 and Super Mario 3D World.

And it's not sexist against women if Ganondorf is stronger than Zelda, Ganondorf is just stronger than Zelda, Triforce of Power mofo.

It's not that Zelda is weaker than Ganon, it's that time and time again she's made weak and helpless when she can clearly be a stronger character (Sheik, Tetra).

And they're not even helpless, there are more than one games where Peach gives you items to help you while she's locked up, and Zelda has them light arrows that rek Ganon's shit once you free her.

So they're able to help the hero but they can never help themselves, even when they're the ones being kidnapped? Of course, only the male hero can save them. That's not sexist.

Not to mention they're both authority figures whose very presence brings peace and calm to their kingdoms, regardless of what their actual duties are. Authority figures are normally targeted for kidnapping if nothing else than to cause distress among the people.

What kind of authority figure is Peach? She's a princess, sure, but what does that entail? In the games all she ever does is get kidnapped. We never see what she does for her kingdom. She has no character, she's treated as nothing but an object that must be rescued.

Zelda is a bit better in that regard, but that doesn't change the fact that she is made helpless in every game she appears in at least once, often throughout the majority of the game. Being a vague authority figure doesn't automatically make them a strong character.

I'm talking about when she described a "good" female character as strong and rough and tough and don't need nobody.

When did she say that?

Quote from: jkid101094 on October 08, 2014, 11:03:52 AM

I'm going to ignore you because you obviously have nothing good to say.

shadowDOESrock

Okay Okay
Okay

Now, listen, you people should stop using Mario and Zelda as examples.
They're based on the classic knight saves princess from dragon/black knight fairy tales.

Elija2

Quote from: Crystal Candy on October 08, 2014, 01:36:56 PM
Now, listen, you people should stop using Mario and Zelda as examples.
They're based on the classic knight saves princess from dragon/black knight fairy tales.

They're modern video games. They don't need to use classic stereotypes.

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: Elija2 on October 08, 2014, 01:57:31 PM
They're modern video games. They don't need to use classic stereotypes.

But they are. It's in their veins.
They themselves are classics now. And that tale is part of their legacy.

Use modern videogames as example. Unless, again, they're clearly paying homage to that, like Shovel Knight.

Elija2

Quote from: Crystal Candy on October 08, 2014, 02:06:18 PM
But they are. It's in their veins.
They themselves are classics now. And that tale is part of their legacy.

Sexist tropes are in their veins? That's not a good look, and it certainly doesn't excuse their use.

jkid101094

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2