Journey
Sound Shapes
*The Walking Dead*

Best Social Game
Draw Something
Marvel: Avengers Alliance
Sim City Social
*You Don't Know Jack*

Game of the Decade (Voted Live by the Users)
Batman: Arkham City
BioShock
*Half-Life 2*
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Mass Effect 3
Portal
Red Dead Redemption
Shadow of the Colossus
Wii Sports
World of Warcraft

Most Anticipated Game (Voted Live by the Users)
BioShock Infinite
*Grand Theft Auto V*
South Park: The Stick of Truth
The Last of Us
Tomb Raider

Character of the Year (Voted Live by the Users)
Connor Kenway - Assassin's Creed III
Commander Shepard - Mass Effect 3
*Clap Trap - Borderlands 2*
Master Chief - Halo 4
Raul Menendez - Call of Duty: Black Ops II

jkid101094

Fuck this shit. It's all rigged. *shot*

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: jkid101094 on December 08, 2012, 04:30:31 PM
Fuck this shit. It's all rigged. *shot*

I dont agree either with most of the categories.

Elija2

I don't understand how a game can be voted Game of the Year and yet not even be nominated for the best game on its respective platform.

It's nice that they grouped the Wii and Wii U together though, otherwise that category would be a wasteland. Xenoblade should have won though.

Hakudamashi

For the first time ever, I disagree with EVERYTHING in the VGA

The 3 things people bitch about most in gaming, long cutscenes, QTEs and zombies, the Walking dead is all of these things and wins game of the year...

That's it, I'm really f*cking done. This was a bad year for me...
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: windlessusher on December 08, 2012, 05:23:29 PM
For the first time ever, I disagree with EVERYTHING in the VGA

The 3 things people bitch about most in gaming, long cutscenes, QTEs and zombies, the Walking dead is all of these things and wins game of the year...

That's it, I'm really f*cking done. This was a bad year for me...

Yes, disregarding the fact that the game has great writing, atmosphere, and how your decisions in the game had real consequences, The Walking Dead sucks because it has a few QTE segments and long cutscenes (in a game that's about the story).

People only hate zombies because in most games they are used as fodder so the player can have the satisfaction of plowing through a million brain-dead enemies. The Walking Dead puts you in a believable zombie apocalypse setting and focuses on story and character development, not mindless zombie killing. You're being biased against anything with zombies in it, even when it is done right.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Elija2 on December 08, 2012, 05:47:38 PM
Yes, disregarding the fact that the game has great writing, atmosphere, and how your decisions in the game had real consequences, The Walking Dead sucks because it has a few QTE segments and long cutscenes (in a game that's about the story).

People only hate zombies because in most games they are used as fodder so the player can have the satisfaction of plowing through a million brain-dead enemies. The Walking Dead puts you in a believable zombie apocalypse setting and focuses on story and character development, not mindless zombie killing. You're being biased against anything with zombies in it, even when it is done right.
Pardon me Elija2, I may be a crazy person, but I'd prefer is a video game won game of the year for it's gameplay, not story or music or atmosphere or w/e.
Maybe if there was a best visual novel category, sure, but game?

But maybe that's just me...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Point and click adventure games, a part of gaming since the 80's.

Elija2

Quote from: windlessusher on December 08, 2012, 05:52:42 PM
Pardon me Elija2, I may be a crazy person, but I'd prefer is a video game won game of the year for it's gameplay, not story or music or atmosphere or w/e.
Maybe if there was a best visual novel category, sure, but game?

But maybe that's just me...

That's like saying a movie isn't good because there weren't enough action scenes in it. Video games are a maturing medium, and they come in many different forms. You may play video games for the action, but others play video games for something else. Just like you may watch a movie for the comedy, others may watch a movie for the drama and romance.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Elija2 on December 08, 2012, 06:06:37 PM
That's like saying a movie isn't good because there weren't enough action scenes in it. Video games are a maturing medium, and they come in many different forms. You may play video games for the action, but others play video games for something else. Just like you may watch a movie for the comedy, others may watch a movie for the drama and romance.
I didn't realise gameplay immediatley meant action, cause I'm pretty sure Tetris and Farmville also have gameplay.
And I didn't know that video game has to focus on story and atmosphere to be a better "game".
Sure, video games come in many different forms, like puzzle games, point and click games(yes Kyo, I know what those are), and even truck simulators.

But my issue with the Walking Dead and even Heavy Rain is that I have a problem calling them "games", and I'm gonna try explain the best way I can...

Their main focus is story telling, they come with dialogue choices, and your actions can leave to multiple endings, and your method of interacting with the world is through moving to the next area and investigate stuff.
Maybe I'm talking out my ass and have the terms mixed up, but isn't that what a Visual Novel is? The in-between a movie and a game?It's a movie, or show, or play or w/e where you are the one who tailors the events to your will. Some VNs do it with still pictures, Heavy Rain and the Walking Dead accomplish it with 3D models.

My way of thinking is "A game with more story than game, is a VN, while a game with more game than story, is a game"

As for what that makes RPGs, I'll get back to you on that... if you care...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Heavy Rain & The Walking Dead aren't Visual Novels.

Katawa Shoujo, for example, is a Visual Novel.
In A Visual Novel, the delivery is almost purely made out of dialogue / text. Mostly having a bunch of characters merely talking.
There is no "Gameplay".

While in Point and Click Adventures, you interact with the environment beyond just "talking".
There might be a hub world, you might have to shoot something. You might have to pick up screwdriver to get past a obstacle.

I suck at explaining, but I think you get the difference.

Elija2

Quote from: windlessusher on December 08, 2012, 06:21:18 PM
But my issue with the Walking Dead and even Heavy Rain is that I have a problem calling them "games", and I'm gonna try explain the best way I can...

Their main focus is story telling, they come with dialogue choices, and your actions can leave to multiple endings, and your method of interacting with the world is through moving to the next area and investigate stuff.
Maybe I'm talking out my ass and have the terms mixed up, but isn't that what a Visual Novel is? The in-between a movie and a game?It's a movie, or show, or play or w/e where you are the one who tailors the events to your will. Some VNs do it with still pictures, Heavy Rain and the Walking Dead accomplish it with 3D models.

My way of thinking is "A game with more story than game, is a VN, while a game with more game than story, is a game"

Visual novels are still video games. Some are more interactive than others, but I certainly wouldn't call The Walking Dead a visual novel. It's a point-and-click adventure game, which are much more interactive and gameplay-based than most visual novels.

Hakudamashi

Well I dunno if there's some untapped hate for the genre I have that I don't know about, but I'm just uncomfortable that of ALL the games that were released in 2012, what won game of the year was an episodic, downloadable zombie game that focused more on story than gameplay...

This whole "story over gameplay" vibe I'm getting from video games recently just rubs me the wrong... but then again JRPGs are my 2nd favourite genre...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Personally, my winner was Halo 4.

Hakudamashi

My personal pick for game of the year? I really don't know,they all faded out to me...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tanassy

I'm gonna be the first to actually praise a decision and say I love a game that was chosen.
And you know, not complain.

SSX <3

jkid101094

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Tanassy

Also the only category I cared about, strangely enough..