My Christmas wish is for Nintendo to stop developing hardware

Started by Hakudamashi, December 18, 2012, 06:03:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hakudamashi

http://venturebeat.com/2012/12/17/my-christmas-wish-is-for-nintendo-to-stop-developing-hardware/

Ok, first of all, all the problems he has with Nintendo's consoles, much like the Vita, are developers not giving a f*ck and just want to cash in on the new gimmick. not cause the hardawre sucked.

But seriously, Nintendo, keep making consoles, since you seem to be the only company that would like to see gaming press forward to new, ever-changing and innovative lengths. Something I always appreciated with Nintendo was that when they made a new console or handheld, they bring in something new AND worth a damn, whether it was for more comfort, or just a new way to interact with video games.
Also, people need to get over "The Wii is less powerful, so it's worse", and how the Wii is a generation behind and blahblahblah. I think the Wii came at the perfect time, why? Because apparently 480p is the highest resolution that current game developers can handle without f*cking things up, go on and tell me how many Wii you can name off the top of your head with horrible framerate problems and gamebreaking glitches, not motion controls being stupid.
It seemed more like Nintendo was always on the right pace, producing a new console that current generation specs are capable of giving a smooth experience that devs have an easy time with, and that Sony and Microsoft are moving too fast by pushing the limits of what technologies are available to make the best looking thing ever, regardless of how well it plays.So rather than thinking Nintendo is playing catch-up with Sony and Microsoft, I think Nintendo believes now is the time to release this kind of console with the technologies available this generation.

If anyone should stop making hardware it's Microsoft. They charge indie devs a sh*t-ton of money to make a game for their hardware, their OS is easy to hack, they charge for internet, and their D-pad f*cking sucks.

But what are your thoughts?
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Hakudamashi

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on December 18, 2012, 06:09:31 AM
You know who should stop making hardware?

No one.
Well true, variety is the spice of life

What did this guy try to accomplish by saying Nintendo of all people should stop making hardware?
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: windlessusher on December 18, 2012, 06:22:13 AM
Well true, variety is the spice of life

What did this guy try to accomplish by saying Nintendo of all people should stop making hardware?

I didnt read the article, but it'll probably sum up to something like

"it isnt hardcore!11!"

Hakudamashi

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on December 18, 2012, 07:12:08 AM
I didnt read the article, but it'll probably sum up to something like

"it isnt hardcore!11!"
-They introduce peripheral nobody wants or knows how to use
-Their consoles are underpowered
-We like Sony and Microsoft better
-Nobody likes their hardware these days
-Their online progress isn't fast enough
-We only buy their hardware for their software, therefore they should just make software for all consoles and handhelds and PCs

That the tl'dr of the article.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: windlessusher on December 18, 2012, 07:18:17 AM
-They introduce peripheral nobody wants or knows how to use
-Their consoles are underpowered
-We like Sony and Microsoft better
-Nobody likes their hardware these days
-Their online progress isn't fast enough
-We only buy their hardware for their software, therefore they should just make software for all consoles and handhelds and PCs

That the tl'dr of the article.

Aside from the online part, all the points are bullshit.

> Nobody Wants or Knows To Use  - Thats why they sell millions. And if you're unable to use them... you're fucking stupid. Again, probably a self-proclaimed "hardcore gamer". Since "i only want normal controllers" is only a issue for them.
> Their consoles are underpowered - plural? It was just the Wii. :l And by that logic, the PS2 should have killed Sony.
> We like Sony & Microsoft better - Who is "We?". That is just your personal opinion.
> Nobody likes their hardware these days - Just you, the self proclaimed "hardcore gamer".
> We only buy their hardware for their software - Because you're gonna buy a 360 or PS3 without any system seller, right?

Hakudamashi

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on December 18, 2012, 07:40:07 AM
Aside from the online part, all the points are bullshit.

> Nobody Wants or Knows To Use  - Thats why they sell millions. And if you're unable to use them... you're fucking stupid. Again, probably a self-proclaimed "hardcore gamer". Since "i only want normal controllers" is only a issue for them.
> Their consoles are underpowered - plural? It was just the Wii. :l And by that logic, the PS2 should have killed Sony.
> We like Sony & Microsoft better - Who is "We?". That is just your personal opinion.
> Nobody likes their hardware these days - Just you, the self proclaimed "hardcore gamer".
> We only buy their hardware for their software - Because you're gonna buy a 360 or PS3 without any system seller, right?

First of all, that gif is hilarious, second of all, it sounds like the guy in this article, and hardcore gamers in general didn't like the Wii, now Nintendo is suddenly a sh*t company

For me, Nintendo only "f*cked up"  on 4 things
1.No Starfox on Wii
2.No F-Zero on Wii
3.Calling the new Console "Wii-U"
4.Skyward Sword

And that's just being a whiny entitled nuisance. Other than online(which I could care less about) what has Nintendo(Not game developers) done to warrant all this negativity?
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: windlessusher on December 18, 2012, 07:47:06 AM
First of all, that gif is hilarious, second of all, it sounds like the guy in this article, and hardcore gamers in general didn't like the Wii, now Nintendo is suddenly a sh*t company

For me, Nintendo only "f*cked up"  on 4 things
1.No Starfox on Wii
2.No F-Zero on Wii
3.Calling the new Console "Wii-U"
4.Skyward Sword

And that's just being a whiny entitled nuisance. Other than online(which I could care less about) what has Nintendo(Not game developers) done to warrant all this negativity?

Same 4 Points for me.
"Hardcore gamers" just hate because it a) doesnt have hd grapxhif, b) doesnt use a traditional controller, c) isnt up to snuff with xbox live nor psn with their online services and finally d) doesnt have so-called "hardcore" games

Hakudamashi

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on December 18, 2012, 07:57:40 AM
Same 4 Points for me.
"Hardcore gamers" just hate because it a) doesnt have hd grapxhif, b) doesnt use a traditional controller, c) isnt up to snuff with xbox live nor psn with their online services and finally d) doesnt have so-called "hardcore" games
a).Framerate, smooth movement and pretty aesthetics>HD graphics 
b).Classic Controller and Gamecube controller
c).At least you don't have ADs
d).Call of Duty, Conduit, Splatterhouse, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Xenoblade Chronicles and all sorts of "harcore games" are on the Wii, people just choose not to pay them any mind
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: windlessusher on December 18, 2012, 08:04:54 AM
a).Framerate, smooth movement and pretty aesthetics>HD graphics 
b).Classic Controller and Gamecube controller
c).At least you don't have ADs
d).Call of Duty, Conduit, Splatterhouse, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Xenoblade Chronicles and all sorts of "harcore games" are on the Wii, people just choose not to pay them any mind

Wind, it just isnt Hardcore.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on December 19, 2012, 04:52:25 AM
Wind, it just isnt Hardcore.

wtf does hardcore even mean?
Apparently a hardcore game is a game released on PS3, Xbox360 and PC

PS2, Gamecube and Xbox didn't have to deal with this sh*t.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: windlessusher on December 19, 2012, 10:26:29 AM
PS2, Gamecube and Xbox didn't have to deal with this sh*t.

Back then, it was basically just the PC Crowd who considered themselves really HARDCORE!!1

But actually, Nintendo had the reputation of not being "hardcore" aka "mature" ever since the SEGA Genesis came out.

After that, i think either the Atari Jaguar or 3DO actually used that as a marketing drive, that their systems are really hardcore.

Hakudamashi

But was it ever established what a "hardcore game" is? It's certainly not difficulty, cause Modnation Racers can be brutal, but nobody goes about calling it a harcore game...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Alot of people also simple use it as a synonym for "mature game".

Nintendo's lack of "hardcore"-ness all started when they censored Mortal Kombat in the SNES.
From that point on, Nintendo wasnt really considered "hardcore".

...but back then, there where no real "casual" games and the term was used for "mature" games.

Nowdays, its also used for hard and complex games, while the term casual is reserverd for "child-friendly" and "pick up and play" games.

Hakudamashi

In that case, what makes a hardcore console? Cause the Wii has it's fair share of mature/complex/hard games that can also  use the classic/gamecube controller...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay