Sonic to Reboot for 2012 and Beyond, Says SEGA

Started by Gilly, November 06, 2011, 08:03:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanassy

You don't read or watch Sonic, you play Sonic.

So it's really a gamer's point of view, no?

EchidnaPower

Quote from: Riko Sapphire on November 06, 2011, 04:20:21 PM
You don't read or watch Sonic, you play Sonic.

So it's really a gamer's point of view, no?

That all depends on your personal POV. As a fanfiction writer I greatly enjoy reading and watching Sonic-based stories/movies, as it helps me to become a better writer myself.

As a gamer I love smashing robots with high paced gameplay, but even then I never believed Sonic was a solo game. Sonic Heroes is my favorite game to date, because of the different ways the game allows you to approach the levels.

I've said it many times before (albeit I've compared it to many different things) and I'll say it again. I'm a writer, not a gamer. I've actually played very few of the games that have come out lately, but I love the characters, and I love writing and reading them.

I love Jesus! Do you?

TheGameNinja

I think you'd like Heavy Rain. Gameplay comes second to story in every way. Its actually debatable as to whether its actually a "game."

I don't mind a story in Sonic, but Sonic doesn't need to be deep. The older games gave you the majority of the story in the instruction booklet and gave very little else during the game until the ending. We could tell Tails and Sonic were buddies just by looking Sonic 2's title screen. I'm not saying that's what Sonic should return to, I'm just using it as proof that you can tell a good story with very little story used.

Iwillbenapo

Yes, Sonic Generations was made from the beginning of the Classic series to the end of the Modern series. I hope this "new Sonic" isn't too bad or too drastic.
Napo.

hedgy

It's just a zelda four swords idea, don't forget a part of nintendo is also working on this. (At least, from what I've read on tssz) But if it's co-op I hope it's better than colors co-op looks nice, first it's really funny but later annoying if your friends exidently steps on your head.
And its standart sonic changes gameplay style: Classic, adventure, storybook, riders, hedgehog engine.

Hakudamashi

I'm kinda with Echidna Power
The story doesn't need to be deep, or dark, or complex, just either make a story that doesn't suck, or don't make one at all. Seriously, I've seen some bad stories in my life *cough*DBGT*cough* but the story in generations actually made me cringe in every cutscene...
As John said, you play a game for gameplay, not for story, that's what movies are for, but if the story is sooooo bad that is actually hinders the experience(which it did for me), then that's a problem.

Also, flesh out your characters, what's the f*cking point of adding any more than 5 characters in a game if they don't impact the story at all? One-dimensional characters are tolerable if the story ain't long(8 hours max I say) and if it's a single game, but this is a franchise we're talking about, these characters are gonna keep coming back again and again, if their characters aren't gonna be fleshed out, or impact the story in some significant fashion, then why add them at all? Why not stick to the cast you had b4?

I swear I'd sooner do another playthrough of Sonic 06 than even look at the storyboard of Generations >_>

And about this "news", Mario doesn't need to reboot for the new generation and neither does Sonic >=U
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

SmashFinale

Quote from: windlessusher on November 08, 2011, 02:11:40 PM
And about this "news", Mario doesn't need to reboot for the new generation and neither does Sonic >=U
Mario isn't getting bad reviews for every game main platformer game that he is in now is he?

Hakudamashi

Quote from: SmashFinale on November 08, 2011, 02:32:11 PM
Mario isn't getting bad reviews for every game main platformer game that he is in now is he?
Neither did Devil May Cry or Banjo Kazooie, but they got reboots =/
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Jazz Nova

Quote from: Elija2 on November 08, 2011, 02:50:38 PM
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2006 2 CONFIRMED FOR 2012
*fangasm*
I just LOOOVE loading screens!
Thanks, firestar and kirbysoul, respectively

jkid101094

Quote from: windlessusher on November 08, 2011, 02:11:40 PM
I'm kinda with Echidna Power
The story doesn't need to be deep, or dark, or complex, just either make a story that doesn't suck, or don't make one at all. Seriously, I've seen some bad stories in my life *cough*DBGT*cough* but the story in generations actually made me cringe in every cutscene...
As John said, you play a game for gameplay, not for story, that's what movies are for, but if the story is sooooo bad that is actually hinders the experience(which it did for me), then that's a problem.

Also, flesh out your characters, what's the f*cking point of adding any more than 5 characters in a game if they don't impact the story at all? One-dimensional characters are tolerable if the story ain't long(8 hours max I say) and if it's a single game, but this is a franchise we're talking about, these characters are gonna keep coming back again and again, if their characters aren't gonna be fleshed out, or impact the story in some significant fashion, then why add them at all? Why not stick to the cast you had b4?

I swear I'd sooner do another playthrough of Sonic 06 than even look at the storyboard of Generations >_>

I agree with everything here. A cookie for you, Windle.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

EchidnaPower

What? No cookie for me Jkid? I'm the one who said it in the first place. You wound me. =(

I love Jesus! Do you?

jkid101094

Quote from: EchidnaPower on November 09, 2011, 03:29:16 AM
What? No cookie for me Jkid? I'm the one who said it in the first place. You wound me. =(
I could have sworn I already gave you some. Have a brownie for my absent-mindedness.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

EchidnaPower

Quote from: jkid101094 on November 09, 2011, 03:31:04 AM
I could have sworn I already gave you some. Have a brownie for my absent-mindedness.

Me no like chocolate. You have oatmeal raisin? *shot repeatedly*

I love Jesus! Do you?

jkid101094

Quote from: EchidnaPower on November 09, 2011, 03:35:22 AM
Me no like chocolate. You have oatmeal raisin? *shot repeatedly*
Oh yeah, I forgot. Chocolate is the devil's food. :P *shot*

And nope, sorry. I don't eat oatmeal. Raisins are yummy, though.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.