Elija2 recommends some manga

Started by Elija2, February 10, 2014, 07:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elija2

You got a problem with reading "boys' comic"?

And the manga tries to poke fun at many common manga tropes, but in doing so it ends up using them just as much as any other manga.

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: Elija2 on November 12, 2014, 06:35:31 AM
You got a problem with reading "boys' comic"?

And the manga tries to poke fun at many common manga tropes, but in doing so it ends up using them just as much as any other manga.

Making fun of something implies parody - but it straight up uses them like every other shounen.

To answer you question, yes-ish, because most of them are... "meh". Not really bad, just "meh." I feel the same for the western equivliant; things like hunger games, divergent, harry potter. To specifiy, a 'shounen' specifically targets an audience between the ages of 12 to 18. Though, a lot of shounen have gone above and below that age barrier. Usually as they go on, they get darker to fit with the aging audience. And then there's things like Death Note, which I could've sworn was a seinen, but is also a shounen.

I still use the term though, as there's a lot of manga and anime that use all the tropes associated with it.

The next step would be a "Seinen" - A Manga specficially tailored for adult audiences. I looked Lucifer up and this is actually supposed to be a Seinen, so, I'm expecting that there's something to that in the next volumes.

This is actually above most "shounen", thanks to that wonderful main character and the neat twist.

Elija2

I actually thought the main characters (Yuuhi and Sami) were pretty generic. I mean, Sami wants to destroy the world for no reason and Yuuhi agrees to help her because whatever. I guess they get a bit better later on in the manga but it's the rest of the cast that really does it for me.

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: Elija2 on November 12, 2014, 10:44:07 AM
I actually thought the main characters (Yuuhi and Sami) were pretty generic. I mean, Sami wants to destroy the world for no reason and Yuuhi agrees to help her because whatever. I guess they get a bit better later on in the manga but it's the rest of the cast that really does it for me.

It is the complete reversal for me. The Supporting cast just seem to be walking anime stereotypes, at least those that I've encountered up until now, while Yuuhi and Sami - while technically I could also fling them in that bowl, the author uses the existing stereotypes for them and flips a bit of their usual personalities and obviously their goals. What usually would be "I dont want to kill her." turns into a "I want to kill her." - a "I want to save the world. Why? No special reason." turns into "I want to destroy the world. Why? No special reason."

Sure, that's pretty simple, and there's no grand explaination for things as of now, but I think that's the most integral part currently.

Bleach got me watching out of the same reason. It fiddled around with the classic shounen tropes just enough for me to stay interested.

But, eh, it's too early for me to specfically talk about such things. I need to be at Vol 5 or something for that. ^^

Elija2

Quote from: Crystal Candy on November 12, 2014, 11:30:40 AM
It is the complete reversal for me. The Supporting cast just seem to be walking anime stereotypes, at least those that I've encountered up until now, while Yuuhi and Sami - while technically I could also fling them in that bowl, the author uses the existing stereotypes for them and flips a bit of their usual personalities and obviously their goals. What usually would be "I dont want to kill her." turns into a "I want to kill her." - a "I want to save the world. Why? No special reason." turns into "I want to destroy the world. Why? No special reason."

Yeah but it's still for "no special reason." The manga straddles the line between parody and imitation and at times it's hard to tell if it's laughing at itself or taking itself seriously. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

But honestly it's been so long since I've read this manga that you should probably just ignore everything I have to say about it.

Hakudamashi

That's it, I'm done, Saturn Apartments have finally beaten me at Chapter 24.
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: Hakudamashi on November 12, 2014, 02:13:42 PM
That's it, I'm done, Saturn Apartments have finally beaten me at Chapter 24.

:[

Although I guess I can't be mad since I bailed on Mirai Nikki after one volume. But you seriously only have 3 chapters left. Why stop now?

Hakudamashi

Because I just can't Eli
I just fucking can't.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Well you gotta tell me more than that.

Hakudamashi

Because I didn't, and couldn't give a single flying fuck about anything that was going on or anyone involved, absolutely nothing was able to hold my interest after each dialogue I read, each new character introduced, each new plot unfolded. But I perservered and tried to finish it, cause a friend recommended it to me, there's gotta be something in here that's blow my mind.

But it got to a point, where I gave soo few shits about anything happening that I felt my energy and life draining from my body as I read every speech bubble.

I give soo little fucks, that I don't even care to see the ending.

I stopped, saw that I was almost done, but said fuck it, I ain't turning another page.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

You didn't care about any of Mitsu's clients? Haruko's health? Makoto's hate for Mitsu? Satchi's (love) life? Kageyama being forced to retire? Souta's research and his relationship with his wife? The gas plant explosion? The class war between the upper and lower levels? Tamachi coming back to the job? The trip to the surface? ANY of the interactions between the characters?

Now I wish I made you read Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer instead. You'd probably enjoy that one much more.

I'm sorry I made you go through this.

Hakudamashi

Dood
Spoilers if anyone else wanted to read it.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Nobody else on this forum cares about any of this.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Yeah but he'll make me watch some Korean film or suck his dick in return.