Super Smash Bros. U / Smash Smash Bros. 3DS

Started by shadowDOESrock, June 22, 2011, 01:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

Okay, since this is me stating my pre-release opinions you can pretty much expect lots of pointless banter.

First off, to hell with the Wii U. I'm getting the 3DS version.

With the new character additions we have the Villager from Animal Crossing, MegaMan, and the Wii Fit trainer. I'd like to start by saying that the villager is OP as fuck, MegaMan is pretty OP too but still less than the Villager, and someday I'm gonna punch Sakurai for ACTUALLY putting in the Wii Fit trainer. Let me get into detail as to why I'm bitching:

MegaMan has the first projectile Smash move in the whole damn series. Along with that, its default damage is 45% when charged. Not only will it blow you away when hit, it'll take your damage counter halfway to Oblivion. Smash moves are intended to have two disadvantages upon use: The first is charge time, and the second is that it requires you to be at close range. MegaMan pretty much eliminated the second requirement.

The Villager has the ability to absorb and launch anyone's projectile techniques including a fully charged laser shot from Samus.  Deflection items have existed before but this? This is ridiculous. This allows him to absorb anyone else's projectile shot, carry it around and fire it when given a better chance. The point of items that would reflect these shots is that they would be refired immediately to avoid being too OP. Now this pretty much eliminates the use of these types of items for the villager. In addition to that, he can stun every player for a minimum of three seconds in order to set up a bowling ball technique, one that likely does loads of damage and can induce flying across the screen.

I really don't understand why Nintendo thinks it's a good idea to give them these heavy duty move sets while the other characters retain the same, balanced movesets.

Let's move onto things I liked:

The graphical style is really nice and I like the cell shading from the 3DS version.
Regular punches now make visible slashes through the air to give the player a clear path as to where their attack is hitting. Nice touch.
Pit has been given a flame charge now, which I think is a lot more balanced than his old right special. Fits in with Uprising's lore too.
It's a Super Smash Bros. game so I'm buying it anyways. The release of an SSB game is always a good period of time.

[/rant]

SmashFinale

Quote from: Wolfy on June 23, 2013, 02:55:30 PM
Previously Dead Wolfy Rant
My turn:
Megaman is NOT the first one with a projectile smash attack. Solid Snake is. His Up-Smash A is very long distance. Good to see you're the only one to finally say his mega buster is the damn SMASH ATTACK AND NOT THE B WHICH LEAVES THE QUESTION FOR KIRBY PEOPLE

Secondly how can you be the only person so far that is irritated with Wii Fit Trainer making it in? I found it interesting IMO.

Third about those two being OP as fuck... you're right about that but the game is still in development. They can fix it until then... or even after with a few patches(lets hope it doesn't come to that).

Fourth: FINALLY SOMEONE SAYS THEY LIKE THE 3DS VERSION. Thought that would never happen.

Fifth: That's not a flame charge from Pit that's what the UpperDash Arm looks like when striking in Smash 4. That slashes the air effect kinda makes it look like a flame charge.

Wolfy

Quote from: SmashFinale on June 23, 2013, 04:12:50 PM
My turn:
Megaman is NOT the first one with a projectile smash attack. Solid Snake is. His Up-Smash A is very long distance. Good to see you're the only one to finally say his mega buster is the damn SMASH ATTACK AND NOT THE B WHICH LEAVES THE QUESTION FOR KIRBY PEOPLE

Secondly how can you be the only person so far that is irritated with Wii Fit Trainer making it in? I found it interesting IMO.

Third about those two being OP as fuck... you're right about that but the game is still in development. They can fix it until then... or even after with a few patches(lets hope it doesn't come to that).

Fourth: FINALLY SOMEONE SAYS THEY LIKE THE 3DS VERSION. Thought that would never happen.

Fifth: That's not a flame charge from Pit that's what the UpperDash Arm looks like when striking in Smash 4. That slashes the air effect kinda makes it look like a flame charge.

You're right about Snake's up Smash attack but that was a vertical projectile. Megaman's is all the more abusable simply because his moves sideways. Snake's has high vertical range but lots of Smash moves carried high vertical range.

I don't particularly like the Wii Fit trainer being added in because IMO it's fucking ridiculous. What's she gonna do, kick my ass with Yoga moves? I thought only memorable/important VG characters were supposed to be added in. If she's Wii U only though(that would make more sense actually) then i won't have a problem. lol.

I also really do hope that this is fixed before release, like you said. Still, it's somewhat our duty to bitch about balance or else Nintendo may never notice it and we'll get stuck with thousands of people playing as MegaMan primarily and thinking that it's their skill doing all the work instead of his right Smash.

TheGameNinja

I don't like that the 3DS version is holding the Wii U version back if the two can't play together. At that point, they should just make them separate games. They have different stages, why not different characters?

SmashFinale

Quote from: TheGameNinja on June 23, 2013, 05:03:00 PM
I don't like that the 3DS version is holding the Wii U version back if the two can't play together. At that point, they should just make them separate games. They have different stages, why not different characters?
Hey TGN.
Name all of the 3DS Smash 4 pics of Wii Fit Trainer.
And what do you mean holding back?

TheGameNinja

Quote from: SmashFinale on June 23, 2013, 05:18:01 PM
Hey TGN.
Name all of the 3DS Smash 4 pics of Wii Fit Trainer.
And what do you mean holding back?

The 3DS version is limiting the amount of characters that can be in the games. Because the 3DS card can't hold as much data as a Wii U disc. I was thinking that the Wii U and 3DS versions could play against one another, but they can't. Since they can't, there's no reason to hinder the Wii U version just so the 3DS version can have the same roster. The stages are already completely different. Why not have the characters be different too? You would get more people buying both versions that way too.

Hakudamashi

I also want a badass remix of this song in it.

MUSIC MATTERS TO ME DAMMIT!
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: TheGameNinja on June 23, 2013, 05:22:28 PM
The 3DS version is limiting the amount of characters that can be in the games. Because the 3DS card can't hold as much data as a Wii U disc. I was thinking that the Wii U and 3DS versions could play against one another, but they can't. Since they can't, there's no reason to hinder the Wii U version just so the 3DS version can have the same roster. The stages are already completely different. Why not have the characters be different too? You would get more people buying both versions that way too.

I don't know about that. A 3DS cartridge can go up to 8GB, and character data shouldn't take up that much room. Either way, I'm pretty sure Sakurai said there wouldn't be a larger number of characters than there were in Brawl because it would be harder to balance and take too much time.

TheGameNinja

Quote from: Elija2 on June 23, 2013, 07:20:44 PM
I don't know about that. A 3DS cartridge can go up to 8GB, and character data shouldn't take up that much room. Either way, I'm pretty sure Sakurai said there wouldn't be a larger number of characters than there were in Brawl because it would be harder to balance and take too much time.

http://kotaku.com/dont-expect-a-lot-of-third-party-characters-in-the-nex-513203533

Quote"The reality of the situation unfortunately is that there are certain limitations on the 3DS," Sakurai said. The 3DS and Wii U versions of the next Smash Bros will have the same library of characters.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Elija2 on June 23, 2013, 07:20:44 PM
I'm pretty sure Sakurai said there wouldn't be a larger number of characters than there were in Brawl because it would be harder to balance and take too much time.
Maybe this is the real reason.
Quote from: TheGameNinja on June 23, 2013, 10:01:40 PM
http://kotaku.com/dont-expect-a-lot-of-third-party-characters-in-the-nex-513203533

And this is a PR excuse?

Also, more songs I want in Smash Bros.

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Wolfy

This is exactly what I hate about the 3DS.

It's capable of so much, yet publishers hold back their games as if they were still making DS ports(which could barely rival the N64. The 3DS rivals the Wii in terms of processing/GFX power) and in turn, games like Sonic: Lost World have been heavily toned down in order to meet the 3DS's "limitations". With games like SSFIV3D, and Ocarina of Time 3D, you can see the full potential of the 3DS and exactly what its capable of. In addition, 3DS cartridges hold up to 8GB, allowing a game like Brawl to (potentially) be ported over to the 3DS in full with little to no difference in performance against the Wii version. With a confirmed smaller character roster and overall less content than Brawl to improve the gameplay's quality, it's likely that the 3DS could carry Smash 4 in full. Obviously the Wii U could use the remaining space to improve graphics quality which should have no impact on cross-platform play.

[/rant #2]
Sorry if my ranting seems like pointless banter, lol.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Jordan teh Echidna

Pesterchum = sirJayden

shadowDOESrock

Because we need Shulk and a Xenoblade Stage in this. Nintendo is ignoring all their first-party JRPG's. =(
Aside from Fire Emblem.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on June 24, 2013, 08:04:35 AM

Because we need Shulk and a Xenoblade Stage in this. Nintendo is ignoring all their first-party JRPG's. =(
Aside from Fire Emblem.
Agreed.

And I was very dissapointed this song wasn't in Brawl, so I hope they bring it to this one.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay