Maddie says stuff about The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Started by Princessofthechaosemerald, July 20, 2013, 09:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Princessofthechaosemerald

Set hundreds of years after the events of Ocarina of Time, The Wind Waker finds the hero Link in a sea scattered with 49 islands, which necessitates frequent sailing and naval combat. On a certain island at the south of the Great Sea, it was customary to garb young boys in green when they came of age. The youths aspired to find heroic blades and cast down evil, but the elders wished only for the youths to know courage like the hero of legend. It's kind of hard to describe without giving spoilers; so basically, his sister gets kiddnaped and it's up to link to save her! Sailing from island to island and partaking in many dangerous situations just to save his younger sister.

~Gameplay~~

Windwaker controls much like the previous N64 games (Think of it controlling like Ocarina of Time for Game Cube). ABXY buttons; you can set items to XY. Targetting is with L, and the C stick is exactly like the C buttons. Basically, mash the B button for fights, with a combination of blocking, R Button. Although, you can learn combinations for new moves from a character later in the game.
   You guys know that Link has always sported some kind of side kick in many Zelda games, Navi, Tatl, Midna, etc. Well here, you have your... talking boat (You also can help a couple of characters through somethings, but saying too much would be spoilers). It's name is the King of Red Lions. He seems to have the persona of / a wise old man.../ hint hint. Zelda games also have that one musical instrument niche, Like Ocarina is to Ocarina of Time and Majora's mask. The Wind Waker has a baton-like object called, The Wind Waker. Which you can use to control the direction of the wind and multiple other helpful uses. (I think the little sounds are quite soothing)
   Sailing, which bothered some, was the big thing to this game, since your partner is a boat, of course, you ride with him. You can also find treasure under the ocean with King of Red Lions. The sailing can be a bit tedious at times, especially for side-quests. Sailing should work in conjunction with The Wind Waker because you need to direct the wind to the direction you're heading towards. Along the way you can correct your map with the help of a fish; this is also pretty tedious at times.
   The side quests are/can be boring, too easy, or even pointless. If you want pieces of hearts, or rupees, or a couple of extra times to help with another side quest, thn do them. Then again, what Zelda game doesn't do that?

~Visuals~

I, for one, absolutely love the graphics in this game. But this review isn't much about me, but more of, in general. This game took a big turn on graphics, Cell Shading -- which hasn't been done with a Zelda game before. This, in turn, excited some -- but dissapointed others majorly. The enviornments are very cartoony, but the serious back-story makes up for it (IMHO). The areas are nice to look at. Besides, come on, the little Link is cute.

~Sound Track~

If I had to choose 3 Zelda games with THE best sound track, it would be this one, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword (yes, in order, very hard to choose, don't mock me). The music is just so soothing and I absolutely love it! The Title song being my favorite.

~Overall performance~
   Game play is very good, and just amazing. I believe the only thing I could say about this game that's a downside, is the tedious sailing and the silly sidequests. The music is grand and the story is very appealing. If anything, it's a good top-tier Zelda game, despite the game being a bit too easy at times, the tedious sailing and quests (Like the triforce shard hunting), and the cell-shading (which is only bad to some who don't like it. It was also a bit to short, but length means nothing compared to quality. Once you compleat the game, you get some extra goodies when you make a new saved file, I won't spoil it, but it will help you with 100%ing the game later on.
   This game might not be considered a classic, but it certianly is a good game.

9.8/10

TheSlender

Wolfy

+5 karma. Great for a first review. Spoiler-free and spot-on accuracy.

Tanassy

A nice review, I'm waiting for the HD Port to play this but I'm quite excited~

+3~

Princessofthechaosemerald

Quote from: Iris Sapphire on July 20, 2013, 10:12:47 AM
A nice review, I'm waiting for the HD Port to play this but I'm quite excited~

+3~
Awe thanks. And the HD version is just beautiful IMO

Quote from: Wolfy on July 20, 2013, 10:12:25 AM
+5 karma. Great for a first review. Spoiler-free and spot-on accuracy.
Thanks!
Quote from: TheSlender on July 20, 2013, 10:09:51 AM
Very nice. I like the review. x)
Thank-you!

Hakudamashi

I remember this being the most combat focused of the 3D LoZ games.
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Thank you for the review, I was unsure if this game was any good or not.

Quote from: Hakudamashi on July 20, 2013, 02:44:01 PM
I remember this being the most combat focused of the 3D LoZ games.

That title probably goes to Skyward Sword now.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay