Maddie Says Stuff About The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Started by Princessofthechaosemerald, July 24, 2013, 07:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Princessofthechaosemerald

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess was the last GameCube The Legend of Zelda game and the first Wii Zelda game. It was also the first Zelda game to be rated T (the great fairy lmao). Link, a young adult at the beginning of the game, is a ranch worker (but has also been called a wrangler) in his hometown of Ordon Village in the Ordona Province of Hyrule. It's a little hard to say much about it without spoiling it for the lot of you who haven't played it yet. But stuff happens in Hyrule and Link must save the land from evil, of course. In a further departure from The Wind Waker, Link is once again a young man, as opposed to a child, as in the latter part of Ocarina of Time and in The Adventure of Link. The game also takes on a darker tone, rivaling that of Majora's Mask. This game has one of the most beautifully written stories I've ever come across in a video game, it was VERY well put together!

~Gameplay~

The game play is similar to that of Wind Waker or the gamecube port of Ocarina of Time. ABXY, assign items to XY, B for swort, LR for locking/targeting and blocking, etc. It's all there, and easy to understand. You can go along and find combinations of moves for attacking later on in the game; quite similar to that of Wind Waker.
   Link, as always, will sport some kind of sidekick in his games, like King of Red Lion or Navi. In this game, he has a little imp named Midna (I like this name a lot I will def name my daughter this omg). To be honest, she's one of the better side-kicks, a very well designed character who actually goes though development as you continue through the story; by that, I mean she starts one way, develops, and ends up bettering herself – much like a novel character.
We all know that Link can transform into a wolf in this game – not much of a spoiler there – this is the game's trademark, if you will. We also all know that Link almost always sports some kind of musical instrument through the quest. In this game, it isn't what you think. You use Link's wolf howling in place of a musical instrument. Along with a horse call, and some grasses, which I wont get too far into because I guess you can consider it spoilers. The howling doesn't really happen a lot in the game, hardly ever, actually. It's soothing, though.
Your main form of transportation is walking or Epona, Link's trusty horse, who hasn't been seen since Minish Cap. There are some battle scenes where you will have to ride Epona (which are soooo fun by the way). This can get tedious, but Midna, once you get far enough in the game, can transport you to certain places; so no need to rage over it.
I find the side quests in this game to be really fun, well... the Poe side quest wasn't, it was tedious. They can be done as you go along doing your main quest. Which is richly done, very well written. This game has a marvelous story! (Which I said before, heehee.)

~Visuals~

This game has some of the best graphics and visuals I've ever seen! The scenery is just amazing, extremely beautiful (I can't say that enough!) This game is supposed to look realistic, and the outcome was perfect.

~Sound Track~
   This game has got beautiful music; it's one of the best sound tracks I've ever heard. Midna's Lament/Theme especially. The tunes go well with the over all feel of the game.

~Overall Performance~
   This is a beautiful game; nothing really bothered me about it, the Gamecube version... anyway. The only thing that bothered me about the Wii version was the controls. They were funny (do not bring up Skyward Sword, the controls are fixed up, at least mildly, in that game. This is Twilight Princess we're talking about). Everything is to love about the game in general, the music, the graphics, the story, and the gameplay!
10/10
Or a 9.6/10

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Princessofthechaosemerald

Quote from: Hakudamashi on July 24, 2013, 08:09:11 AM
My Personal favourite Zelda game right here.
It's a very good Zelda game. One of the best IMO

Wolfy

I liked how the review was very well written. +2 karma for that.

BUT, I honestly think Twilight Princess had its own fair share of issues.

The first, and most pressing issue in the game, is the sheer amount of PADDING, which you failed to mention. The game's storyline forces a three-hour pad upon you to further develop the story. Unfortunately, this padding isn't very good and leaves about four hours until you can explore the first dungeon. The padding is also furthered by the repeated Tears of Light quests, which can drag out like HELL. Each of these effectively shove huge roadblocks between the first three dungeons of the game(one of which is an absolute hell)until reaching the later half of the game. More padding is also seen during the quest to restore power to the Dominion Rod so even the later half of the game suffers from these padding issues.

This game draws most of its content and inspiration from Ocarina of Time, for which it's noted to be a spiritual successor. A fair example is how Kakariko/Death Mountain stay to the East, forest areas stay South, the desert is to the West, and up north you have Hyrule Castle. Lots of games in the Zelda franchise do this as well, but the problem with this is being much too similarly structured like Ocarina of Time. In fact, the only two differences I found in the Lakebed Temple from the Water Temple were that you could swing your sword underwater and that the whole boss room was underwater. In most cases it works but it feels like the game is literally using a cheat-sheet. There's also the case of the dungeons(minus the third and final) being far too easy in comparison to games like Skyward Sword and Majora's Mask.

The game has an absolutely beautiful soundtrack. But I honestly think some of the songs in it can be absolute shit. Goron Mines sounds like a bunch of wrenches clanging together, yet people on the Zelda Wiki say that it has part of the Goron Lullaby in its notes? No way. Among other lame tracks we have the Palace of Twilight interior theme, which was complete ass compared to the exterior theme, there's the lame Twilight Zone theme that's been forced down most people's throats so often that we now remember it, and we have the enemy battle theme failing to retain its mostly MIDI structure and pick up whenever Link does massive amounts of damage to an enemy. It's hardly noticable anymore. Aside from those, I think the soundtrack could've EASILY been the best in the franchise if not held back by some.

The gameplay of Twilight Princess is literally the exact same as Wind Waker, except the Parry was removed, new items were added, and also Hidden Skills are now a thing. Twilight Princess runs on a modified Wind Waker engine.

The game's story was fairly easy to lose interest in, as the sudden plot twists were difficult to keep up with and it really just doesn't get any better after the halfway point in the game. The endgame features the most sudden change of antagonists I've ever seen and to be honest, fighting the final boss and his three phases just made me try and recall "where the hell did you come from again?"

Just my opinion though. Nothing to see here, move along~

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Wolfy on July 24, 2013, 08:16:13 AM
words
Yeah...
And I haven't played TP in awhile, so it may not be as great as I remember it, but it did leave a lasting positive impression on me, so that's gotta mean something right?
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

To be fair, all the recent 3D Zelda's have had horrible padding.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Elija2 on July 24, 2013, 10:22:28 AM
To be fair, all the recent 3D Zelda's have had horrible padding.
Although, I never really saw it as padding, but maybe that's because it made me play more of a game I enjoy playing...

Padding to me only becomes an issue if I never found the game that fun and want it to be over as quickly as possible..

EDIT:Doing a 2nd playthrough of this game now, just got the ability to be the Sacred Beast whenever.
THAT OPENING IS SOO F*CKING BORING OMG, HERDING GOATS AND FOLLOWING PREGNANT WOMEN SERIOUSLY?
And again with the ruppee farming to get an item at the shop that you only use ONCE, then never again...

But my overall experience is a positive one despite my outburst.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay