Forgotten Reviews: Mega Man Battle Network

Started by The Forgotten Alex, July 24, 2013, 07:59:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Forgotten Alex

Ah, Mega Man Battle Network, one of my favorite Mega Man series. The reason I just stated is exactly why I had to review this game.

~The Story~
Set in the year 20XX, in an alternate universe of the original Mega Man universe, Internet research was the main focus instead of robotic technology. Making the Internet more advanced in their future. Mostly everybody now carries a "PET", which is short for "PErsonal Terminal" (Letters capitalized to point out the abbreviation). In these PETs, people have a program called a NetNavi, which is essentially a little cyber person you use for pretty much anything, such as fixing problems, battling viruses or other NetNavis, or just plain being friends with.

This is your protagonist, Lan Hikari, an 11-year old average Elementary kid who LOVES to Netbattle...

and his NetNavi, Megaman.EXE (Yeah, he's a program, just deal with me for a bit).

~Gameplay~
Mega Man Battle Network is an RPG-esque style game with a few twists to it. Around the game, you will be playing as Lan in the Real World, and Megaman.EXE in what is known as the Cyber World, or the Internet, if you may.

In the real world, Lan can interact with people, find things to help Megaman, and send Megaman to the internet via "Jacking-In" to a electronic device such as a computer or sorts.

In the Cyber World, you will be playing as Megaman. Megaman can interact with other Navis and fight various viruses.

These are what Virus Battles look like, they usually tend to be in Random Encounters on the Internet. You utilize little chips called Battle Chips to defeat them. Battle Chips come in very different forms and varities. Just using Megaman's Megabuster isnt enough to defeat them. Defeating a Virus gives you one of their Battle Chips. You can organize Battle Chips in your folder to use against viruses, they all have different codes, which is a key strategy to remember when you're building your folder. Utilize this to overcome any obstacles that come in your way.

Just remember, if Megaman's HP runs to 0, it's Game Over for you.

~Some Points~
Now, like I stated earlier, Mega Man Battle Network is one of my favorite Mega Man game series, but some games do fall shorter than others.

Pros:
  • A Decent Story
  • Interesting Characters
  • Started a Great Series
  • Pretty Decent Gameplay
  • Some damn good music for a GBA game

Cons:
  • Things can get a bit repetitive if unprepared
  • Gameplay isnt as great as in the other games, but it is the first game

In overall, I have to give the game a...
~6.5/10~

May not be the best in the series, but it's still one pretty good game. But hey, every game has its bad moments.

People asked.

Princessofthechaosemerald

I've been really interested, you keep talking about it and I've been wanting to try it out.
As for it being a review, you did a good job, but it was a little short C: It doesn't matter, though, it was good!

The Forgotten Alex

Quote from: Maddie8D on July 24, 2013, 08:03:34 AM
I've been really interested, you keep talking about it and I've been wanting to try it out.
As for it being a review, you did a good job, but it was a little short C: It doesn't matter, though, it was good!

I figured it was a bit short, lol. I just thought I would spoil stuff if I went too far into it
People asked.

Hakudamashi

I liked the story and characters of these games and nothing else.
I rage quitted this series soo many times cause of how absurd it gets with what they ask of you...
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Princessofthechaosemerald

Quote from: Miles The Hedgehawk on July 24, 2013, 08:05:21 AM
I figured it was a bit short, lol. I just thought I would spoil stuff if I went too far into it
That's understandable, actually. Like I said, it's good either way C: