Spec Ops: The Line (2012)

Started by shadowDOESrock, November 24, 2014, 09:52:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowDOESrock

If you haven't played this, you should. You can get this incredibly cheap for PS3 and 360 nowdays!

I don't think there is any way to convey what exactly it is, without spoiling it.
It's not too long either. Yeah, it plays somewhat generic, but it has to.

This Game is Art. I mean it.

It also features an amazing OST, including the Score itself and its amazing selection of licensed songs.

Elija2

I have this game downloaded on my laptop but I haven't launched it once. I probably should.

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: Elija2 on November 24, 2014, 10:10:37 AM
I have this game downloaded on my laptop but I haven't launched it once. I probably should.

You really should, it's fantastic!
The Gameplay isn't, like, amazingly unique, but I'm sure you'll quickly realise what the game is doing. It's something you have to play through to, like, get the full picture.

The Writing is great and, as I said, it's not very long. Only about 6 Hours.

Elija2

Six hours!? I could finish watching Psycho Pass in that amount of time!

I heard that this game should be played through on the easiest difficulty to quickly get through the mediocre gameplay segments. Would you agree with that?

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: Elija2 on November 24, 2014, 10:30:58 AM
I heard that this game should be played through on the easiest difficulty to quickly get through the mediocre gameplay segments. Would you agree with that?

Hm. I suppose it depends on good one can deal with the gameplay being generic. (Though, it is so for a reason...) I'd say start with the normal difficulty and see how it goes. You can change the difficulty at any point during the campaign, so if it becomes too hard, annoyingly so, you can just switch to easy. (The Game actually suggests this after a couple of deaths at the same section by itself.)

Personally I am playing through on Hard, as I find the lower difficulties too easy.

Elija2

You motivated me to get off my butt and play this game (while sitting on my butt).

The story is really good but I guessed what the main theme of the game was gonna be pretty quickly. Still, there was some shocking imagery that got to me and I wasn't expecting the final twist at the end.

I don't know if I'd call it art though. I mean, it's a great story for video game standards but it's nothing special outside of that. It doesn't come close to 999 which is an example of a game that I think has a great story period.

shadowDOESrock

Did you punish the Thief, or the Soldier?

I think it's a great story all-around, rewritten to fit it's purpose of satrising modern shooters. The 'You want to be a hero' speech really did it for me.

I say rewritten because it's actually somewhat of an adaption of one of the most acclaimed novels in history; Heart of Darkness.

And how did you let it end? There's 4 possible endings.

Elija2

I think I killed the thief. I kinda forgot which was which, I just didn't want my partner to die.

The first ending I got is the one where I go home. I went back and got two of the other endings after that.