Who's aware of Hypnospace Outlaw's existence?

Started by Trigger215, April 24, 2019, 06:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trigger215

After browsing this forum for a bit, I started to realize something. It's almost like... an Internet time capsule. A few forums have little or no posts, and going back into them... wow. You can clearly see some interesting things people thought back then. (And some weird ones. Man, my RP OC was worse than I thought!)

This brings me to the point I want to make. Recently, a game called Hypnospace Outlaw came out, which also has that sort of feeling to it. Basically, you roam around an alternate universe 1999 Internet, flagging content and getting paid in the process. However, most of the fun isn't in the content flagging and "Outlaw" minigame, but in the exploration. You explore this weird, MIDItastic, oddly designed world in cyberspace, seeing the lives the citizens lead, seeing their statuses and pages change according to events elsewhere, etc. A teen in a flame war will get mad at you for flagging his offensive page, people will get worried about virus scares, chain messages will spread, etc. It gives you a rush of nostalgia and emotion from reading these people's old posts, just like in this forum. You wonder what these people did IRL at the time, how their lives were, what they liked and disliked, what they do now... It's an odd feeling I can't perfectly describe. It's weird, wonderful, and I love it.

Pierreday