Main Menu

Ask Haku all of the things.

Started by Hakudamashi, December 15, 2014, 02:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hakudamashi

Was talking more about FF1 and DMC1

But you want to take this conversation in another direction.

And I know jiggle physics would be a high priority in my artistic vision!
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

My point is that stuff like that can be found for nearly every game. I mean, how do you even quantify something as abstract as "artistic vision"? If a game is rushed and certain features are cut, are you still experiencing someone's artistic vision? If hardware limitations get in the way of implementing features that the developers would like to have, are you still experiencing someone's artistic vision? If you're playing a game without any of its DLC, are you still experiencing someone's artistic vision? Hell, if you do something in a game that the designers didn't intend for you to do, are you still experiencing their artistic vision?

Hakudamashi

I kinda just start and stop at whether or not they got the thing they wanted in the game.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

So whether or not the developers are happy with it, it's not their artistic vision unless everything they wanted was put into the game? That probably disqualifies the majority of games ever made.

Hakudamashi

I fail to see what their happiness has to do with their artistic vision, but ok?

I mean, if I wanna draw a brown coconut, but whoops, I don't have a brown crayon, so I use red.
Sure, I'm happy with the red coconut, but it's not my vision, I wanted it brown.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

With that requisite I think you'd have a hard time finding any game that meets someone's artistic vision. I mean, so many games are compromised due to hardware limitations alone.

Hakudamashi

They get as close as they can within those limitations.

Please stop making this more complicated than it is.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

How close is close enough? Miyamoto wanted Yoshi to be in SMB1 and SMB3, but Yoshi didn't even appear in any of those games and there was no substitute that Mario could ride on. I guess those games don't meet his artistic vision?

Hakudamashi

Maybe they did, maybe they didn't.
Regardless, he did what he wanted, and enjoyed doing it.

Besides, the chance when he finally got to put in Yoshi, he did.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: Hakudamashi on September 02, 2015, 03:15:17 PM
Maybe they did, maybe they didn't.

So you basically agree that there's no way to know whether a game is someone's artistic vision, right?

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Then why do you care so much about a game retaining its creator's artistic vision when not only can you not even tell when a game has it or not, but the lack of it doesn't necessarily influence whether the creator likes their own game?

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

This whole discussion you've been talking about how game developers should be able to make what they want and not listen to outside opinions (except when its fans complaining because THEN they should listen) so you clearly do care about it. Otherwise your jimmies wouldn't be all rustled over "outside influences" convincing Capcom  to get rid of jiggle physics in SFV.

Hakudamashi

Firstly, they aren't getting rid of jiggle physics, I was being hypothetical, if you thought I was being serious.

The point, from all of this, is that people should do what makes them happy, and engage in the things that make them happy, and I personally draw a line at people forming a complaint about something that has little to no impact on them.

I'm not as uppity about your microtransactions and whatever because they have yet to fuckle with the games I like

Because I, am a very, very, very selfish person.

If you want me to sympathize with you, I'll do that, I will discuss about your interests and your problems, because that's what friends do
But that's not what happened here, you asked what I thought about it, and I answered.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay