Why I chose my career - Narration Essay

Started by Grell Desu, November 17, 2013, 03:08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grell Desu

I just figured it would be a good chance for anyone interested to flex their writing muscle a little bit. I got the idea from working on the same thing for English, baha. Here's mine as an example if anyone else would like to join in with their own c:

You may not be able to believe it, but I used to be a shy kid. I never opened my mouth, even when called on in class. I would just sit silently and stare at the floor while my classmates would laugh at me or make fun of me. And the sad thing is, the teachers never did anything about it. This was in my old school. I can still remember to this day how stung I felt when I had to ask my old math teacher for help because an old bully had stolen my cane and hid it in the hall, to hear her say "Well, what did you do to make him do that?". Back when I never spoke, I  couldn't even properly walk, and I never tried to hurt a single person, but I was in the wrong.

I had always firmly believed that teachers were not only mentors, but protectors. Even if none of them rose to that in my old school. That was the first thing that started to push me from wanting to be a psychiatrist. Knowing that there were students just like me out there, waiting for someone to help them because they were too scared, too shy, to stick up for themselves. I wanted to be the teacher who wouldn't hesitate to send a bully right out of my class. I wanted to be the teacher that students could feel safe with. Knowing first hand what bullying felt like and what trouble at home was like, I wanted to help everyone that I could. Even if I was mute and scared of everything in the world.

It was only a thought back then. The fact teachers don't make much money kept me from really pursuing it. Money was a bigger factor in my decisions back then than anything else. I've talked about it enough in attempt to be open so people will understand where I come from with my opinions, I suppose. But needless to say, the idea of not struggling was more important than happiness to me at that point in time. That all changed once I got to Perquimans High School and met Mrs. Perry . It was through finally meeting her and other teachers that didn't tolerate bullying that I could finally relax.

In her class, I was finally able to express my love for the arts to its fullest extent. I exist, even now, for nothing more than to make art, to see art, to know art. It is my sole purpose in life. I would give everything up if I had to for art. It was my only real love in this world, and being allowed to pursue it however I wished in Mrs. Perry's class is what helped me to be open with this love. At first, I thought of being a concept artist. Designing things from new cars, to video game scenery and characters. The world was finally an open and blank canvas before me, where I could live my life as paint. To create my own story, my own legacy, and leave the past behind.

But I also met Ms. Cortez. A teacher from a society totally different from my own, standing her own against students who picked on her, determined to teach them. She serves as one of my biggest inspirations. A strong willed woman who meant well, and did everything she could to educate others. Always offering help to them, even if no one would take her up on it. And she was one of the few teachers that I felt comfortable around.

It was towards the end of my junior year that I finally came to realize what my calling was in life. To combine my love for art and for people. I enjoyed helping, and I loved to teach. But above all else, I loved art. Combining them would make the most sense, wouldn't it? I woke up and realized one morning after a series of dreams about the very subject that I wanted to be an art teacher. An occupation where I would be with art no matter what, and where I would have the chance to extend a helping hand to those who need it.

Just as Mrs. Perry was the only confidant I could trust, I want to be that shoulder to others. I want to be there for people who need me. I know the road ahead of me is long and rocky, no matter what career I choose, but I know it's the road I will walk lovingly and without regret. Money be damned, because this is what I want to do. It took me seventeen years of my life to finally decide what I want and need to be.

I'm following my bliss, and I dare someone to try and stop me.

dreamcasthime

Everything was always miserable for me. Every day would be another day of survival as I sat quietly in the back just following the acts I was told to do set by society. From the very beginning I had always been different from everyone. While everyone was out doing things children would normally do I would sit at home every day and play video games. Ah, Sonic the Hedgehog on SEGA Genesis; it was the root of my childhood. Before the 2nd grade I had always been really happy and cheerful in class always imagining scenarios of fantasies set by watching hours of Pokemon and Dragon Ball.

I had always had a fascination with things such as anime and video games which I'm pretty sure came from always hanging around my otakuish aunt all the time. More than the gameplay and story to everything I enjoyed the art style and beauty of the creation of such characters. So much creativity and imagination shone bright in my eyes looking at everything around me. I drew constantly every day trying to recreate those characters that I loved so much onto my own paper in my own way. Though inadequate, I loved these pieces of art so much because I had tried my hardest and I put my spirit into them.

So many years I was always looked down upon by my peers for having perfect grades and not liking things like sports and doing physical things. At recess, I'd be sitting under a tree taking in the air and I would always get on the swings just to feel the wind and feeling of the beauty of everything around me. Everything was always so dull and the innocence of the world at the time was an unbeatable feeling. I had no worries and my imagination could soar high.

Those feelings did not last too long. About the time of the start of middle school, everything went wrong in my family. My stepfather, whom recently had heart surgery, had grown addicted to pills and painkillers. My mom was also starting to show her true colors of being a parent who didn't care about her own child's problems. I was in the stage of life where I was adjusting from the fast pace of childhood to adolescence and with all the parental problems I faced, it became very strenuous. All I had left to cope with was my artwork.

Although still very mediocre, it was still all I had. My dad pawned pretty much everything I owned for pill money to feed his illegal and unhealthy addiction. With a newfound love of anime and the manga style, I aspired to create advanced artwork as beautiful as those before me. Practicing all the time while being ridiculed and shunned for being different from everyone else was a very difficult task that I continuously did.

By the beginning of high school, I had several close friends. Drama intensified from all corners of my life as all problems were pushed upon me even if they weren't mine. Still, even if I didn't have video games, I had the pencils and cheap lined paper in my notebooks and my mind. Practicing nonstop until I perfected every aspect of my artwork was my ultimate goal.

Through all the pain, suffering, and sorrow I still found a bit of light hidden deep within the confounds of my head. After going through the worst 6 months of my life living with an aunt of mine, I did a lot of thinking and realized something: What if there are others like me who saw art as an escape from reality? By the beginning of my 10th grade year, the grade I'm in now, I realized what I wanted. I want to make those like me proud.

I want to be a manga artist or a game character design artist. I want to show what a creative spirit can do. I refuse to allow any pain or and people from crushing my dreams. I want to show the world that no matter what one goes through, no matter what trials may be faced, just keep your imagination and soul burning strong and you can achieve whatever your heart most desires. That is my dream.