Has anyone ever been nearly struck by lightning?

Started by sonicmaddave, December 10, 2009, 09:58:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonicmaddave

I have a couple of times. It's like this big flash followed like a massive explosion noise.  :D

Share your experiences.  ;D

Ioshyriku

well 2 or 3 years ago I almost got hit by lightning when I went back home from a friend's house, well maybe sometimes after playing video games the Grim Reaper awaits

Gleech

My house almost did. I had just got home from buying Oblivion, and it didnt work on the PC side of my Mac (Which was later fixed...), so I asked my dad if I could use his computer, and he said sure. I grabbed the Oblivion case and was about to pick up a tray (For putting the computer on my lap... even though its already a laptop :P) when there was a blinding light, and seconds later a HUGE explosion. I put the tray down and said, "Ok... apparently God doesn't want me to play Oblivion right now (o.o;)" and then went into the kitchen where the rest of my family was.

A few minutes later, there were flashing lights at the top of our driveway (We live sort of in a forest, and its facing down hill), my dad and my sister, Tanya, went up and asked about it. They said it hit our NEIGHBORS house, and that they were looking on the outside to find where a gas leak was, because apparently there was one...

Quote from: SonicFan47 on December 16, 2008, 08:00:41 PM
I don't care in the Ryan/Jason debate. I can't tell the difference
but I favor JALEEL WHITE!

sonicmaddave

Quote from: Gleech on December 10, 2009, 10:17:41 AM
My house almost did. I had just got home from buying Oblivion, and it didnt work on the PC side of my Mac (Which was later fixed...), so I asked my dad if I could use his computer, and he said sure. I grabbed the Oblivion case and was about to pick up a tray (For putting the computer on my lap... even though its already a laptop :P) when there was a blinding light, and seconds later a HUGE explosion. I put the tray down and said, "Ok... apparently God doesn't want me to play Oblivion right now (o.o;)" and then went into the kitchen where the rest of my family was.

A few minutes later, there were flashing lights at the top of our driveway (We live sort of in a forest, and its facing down hill), my dad and my sister, Tanya, went up and asked about it. They said it hit our NEIGHBORS house, and that they were looking on the outside to find where a gas leak was, because apparently there was one...

that was lucky the lightning didn't cause the gas leak to make something even worse happen. :o

Ioshyriku

Quote from: Gleech on December 10, 2009, 10:17:41 AM

hope that no one was hurt badly

Gleech

Quote from: Ioshyriku on December 10, 2009, 10:41:48 AM
hope that no one was hurt badly
Naaah, my neighbors are never home, they're always like, in Florida, vacationing 24/7.

Quote from: SonicFan47 on December 16, 2008, 08:00:41 PM
I don't care in the Ryan/Jason debate. I can't tell the difference
but I favor JALEEL WHITE!

sonicmaddave

I'll tell my story in detail. :P

Well I was out in my car when there was this thunderstorm, and I had the idea of get out my camera to try and record some lightning, and while filming, suddenly there was a big bright flash and a big bang. Lightning had struck metres from me on this metal pole. I swore i felt my hair stand on end before the lightning struck. I actually thought I was struck for a few seconds. :o

HereAndThere

Well, when i almost got struck by one i was with my friends on a bus stop looking where the lightnings struck and then after a while i got up and all of the sudden a lightning strucks some about 5 meters away frmo me and i wasn't able to see anything for a while, due the light being so big.
My friends were like "WOAH!!!" and laughed a bit and i started to laugh a bit too.

It was pretty much like that.
It happened 7-10 years ago.

NiGHTS

yes O: i was liek running home from a friends about 10 years ago or summit

and a big flash of lightening happened i was all OMGWTFBBQ T_T

i looked down and it had liek scorched a rock sitting right beside where i stopped o_0

i hate lightening .-.

Chaos Swissroll

I have never been nearly truck by lightning.

Lightning conductor win.

sonicmaddave

Quote from: NiGHTS on December 11, 2009, 12:09:17 PM
yes O: i was liek running home from a friends about 10 years ago or summit

and a big flash of lightening happened i was all OMGWTFBBQ T_T

i looked down and it had liek scorched a rock sitting right beside where i stopped o_0

i hate lightening .-.
you hate it? I still love it :O

I love lightning xD

wow NiGHTS thats so scary bro. :O I believe what you seen in the rock was a fulgurite or something, because lightning is very hot (it's even hotter than the sun!!!) it superheats rock, sand etc, and creates this weird thing called fulgurite I want to get one XD

Voorhees21

I was on my bus driving home from 2nd grade and lightning hit this old man and i was all like "WHAT THE jigglywoodenicecream CRAP?" And he was flying through the air when he got hit.

Thx gleech

Thx Mikey

Fiamonder

I was running to my home because it was storming, i was almost home, but then a few meters right next to me, umm..FLASH!! And BANG!! (lol) and i was like.. "...NO WAI D:" And that happened...yesterday!..

First try at making a sig, It's decent.

NiGHTS

Quote from: sonicmaddave on December 11, 2009, 04:21:00 PM
you hate it? I still love it :O

I love lightning xD

wow NiGHTS thats so scary bro. :O I believe what you seen in the rock was a fulgurite or something, because lightning is very hot (it's even hotter than the sun!!!) it superheats rock, sand etc, and creates this weird thing called fulgurite I want to get one XD

O:
lol afterwards i had never moved so fast in my life xD

sonicmaddave

Quote from: NiGHTS on December 12, 2009, 07:57:49 AM
O:
lol afterwards i had never moved so fast in my life xD

I bet you did lol. XD

Well my second experience with close lightning was when I was doing a very long drive at night time, heading home. I was on thew freeway for most of the journey in my car and I could see faint flashes of lightning in the distance, however I had caught up, and about 200 metres in front lightning had struck a substation, there was a big blue glow, all street lights went out and the glow disappeared after 10 seconds. :O

Third close lightning strike: I did not see it, but most certainly heard it! I was in my car again, and had my windows down and was boiling from the heat. It was 3pm and it was very grey and cloudly and I stopped at a roundabout to let cars pass, and out of nowhere was this massive explosion of thunder. I couldn't see the lightning but definitely heard that! It was the first strike too and sounded like it came from nowhere. :O

mieselle

Quote from: Voorhees21 on December 12, 2009, 03:28:28 AM
I was on my bus driving home from 2nd grade and lightning hit this old man and i was all like "WHAT THE jigglywoodenicecream CRAP?" And he was flying through the air when he got hit.

That's terrible!
What happened to the old man? ._.

I think lightning is scary ;__;

NiGHTS

Quote from: mieselle on December 13, 2009, 06:26:03 AM
That's terrible!
What happened to the old man? ._.

I think lightning is scary ;__;

nice to know im not the only one xD

last time there was lightning i hid in the wardrobe rofl

well i thought i heard thunder but apparantly it was something else....

damn noisy people >:U

sonicmaddave

I love lightning I remember when I was like 6 I would shut off the lights and stand at the window. Over here in Australia I just sit on the patio with a beer watching the lightning. In fact a line from a famous Australian song in the 80s goes like "On the patio we sit, and the humidity we breathe, we watch the lightning crack over the cane fields" XD

I like how mysterious it is and I am sure I saw ball lightning once. :O

mieselle

Quote from: NiGHTS on December 13, 2009, 08:05:43 AM
nice to know im not the only one xD

last time there was lightning i hid in the wardrobe rofl

well i thought i heard thunder but apparantly it was something else....

damn noisy people >:U

XD

I always stay away from windows and hide in a corner with my bedspread around me.
Same with firework, I just hate the noise. 

sonicmaddave

That must make me the only one here who likes lightning despite being almost struck I take it? XD

mieselle

Quote from: sonicmaddave on December 14, 2009, 03:33:08 AM
That must make me the only one here who likes lightning despite being almost struck I take it? XD

It's beautiful I agree but also very loud and dangerous. ._.
I prefer watch it in a movie or something. XD [size]

sonicmaddave

Quote from: mieselle on December 14, 2009, 05:27:59 AM
It's beautiful I agree but also very loud and dangerous. ._.
I prefer watch it in a movie or something. XD [size]

Here in Australia we have intense thunderstorms, the other week we had a massive one when I was outside (luckily in my car). XD

mieselle

Quote from: sonicmaddave on December 14, 2009, 05:58:40 AM
Here in Australia we have intense thunderstorms, the other week we had a massive one when I was outside (luckily in my car). XD

And you weren't scared? o_O
I would sh*t my pants. XD

sonicmaddave

Sonic360

Well there was this one time about 6 years ago, I was helping get some groceries out of my mom's car(did I mention it was night)and some lightning struck beside me, I ran in in my house but unfortunatly the screen door slammed my thumb pretty hard and my thumb nail broke off, yes the entire nail it hurt like hell, and as a guy I can litteraly say I broke a nail.  Don't worry my new nail grew in a month later.

sonicmaddave

Quote from: Sonic360 on December 14, 2009, 05:05:07 PM
Well there was this one time about 6 years ago, I was helping get some groceries out of my mom's car(did I mention it was night)and some lightning struck beside me, I ran in in my house but unfortunatly the screen door slammed my thumb pretty hard and my thumb nail broke off, yes the entire nail it hurt like hell, and as a guy I can litteraly say I broke a nail.  Don't worry my new nail grew in a month later.
Ouch I bet that hurt. D: