Children's Pocket Money is almost on a record-low

Started by shadowDOESrock, September 22, 2010, 07:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowDOESrock

LONDON (Reuters) – British children's weekly pocket money has fallen to a seven-year low, in a sign parents are still cutting back on non-essential spending even as the country emerges from recession, a survey showed Monday.

Halifax, part of Lloyds Banking Group, said average pocket money fell to 5.89 pounds ($9.23) a week in 2010 from 6.24 pounds in 2009.

The new figure is the lowest weekly sum since 2003 when parents paid an average of 5.79 pounds.

Children's pocket money has fallen despite a small rise in their parents' wages over the past year. Average weekly pay in Britain in the three months to July was 431 pounds excluding bonuses, 1.8 percent more than a year earlier.

Parents paid daughters less pocket money than sons, in a parallel to the gender gap in the earnings of grownups.

Girls received an average 5.70 pounds a month, compared to 6.08 pounds a month for boys, a difference of around 6 percent compared to 12 percent between men and women in full-time work.

Halifax based its data on a survey of 1,204 children aged between 8 and 15 conducted from August 26 to September 2.

darkness shadow

pfft, i never got pocket money >=U they should be happy that they got any qat all
supa emeraldz

thnx rival, again
shineh emeraldz =D

TobiTheGoodGirl

now if we could just convert that over to USD... :3

Dracoslythe

...pocket money = allowance, amirite?
I think so...

If so,
Pfft, I have to work for my allowance.  Literally.  I "help" (meaning do most of the work, all of it the dirty work.  I hate cleaning urinals.  >.>) mom at her night job, and she pays me $5 a night as my "allowance."  I get 50 every two weeks, and that's only because I DO work for it.  I never got allowance until I started working with mom every night.  xD

But I never do a lot of shopping, so I usually have a little bit by the time next payday comes around.  Although I buy drinks like every day and a few things here and there, so it's only like $10 or so, and usually in quarters.  xD

Well, that's after putting about 25 a payday back for car stuff.  Insurance and gas.  pfft.

darkness shadow

Quote from: Dracoslythe on September 22, 2010, 08:07:26 AM
...pocket money = allowance, amirite?
I think so...

If so,
Pfft, I have to work for my allowance.  Literally.  I "help" (meaning do most of the work, all of it the dirty work.  I hate cleaning urinals.  >.>) mom at her night job, and she pays me $5 a night as my "allowance."  I get 50 every two weeks, and that's only because I DO work for it.  I never got allowance until I started working with mom every night.  xD

But I never do a lot of shopping, so I usually have a little bit by the time next payday comes around.  Although I buy drinks like every day and a few things here and there, so it's only like $10 or so, and usually in quarters.  xD

Well, that's after putting about 25 a payday back for car stuff.  Insurance and gas.  pfft.
yes, pocket money = allowance, hell i do jobs round the house and never got paid >=U slavery damnit
supa emeraldz

thnx rival, again
shineh emeraldz =D

Hakudamashi

Nobody cares about children these days
Its a sad story
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Jazz Nova

Whenever I get money, I usually end up spending it on food
And therefore, I don't have any money for anything else
Thanks, firestar and kirbysoul, respectively

NiGHTS

Quote from: Darkness Shadow on September 22, 2010, 07:13:17 AM
pfft, i never got pocket money >=U they should be happy that they got any qat all

I second this mans statement o3o xD

and the other one about slave labour...

I mean i get enough work from school without having to do everything (except washing clothes cause I am not trusted to do that... for now)

Although I still have to hoover even though I set our last one on fire x3 tehehehe 8D it was almost like revenge.

Parents these days x3

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Jazz Nova on September 23, 2010, 08:09:18 PM
Whenever I get money, I usually end up spending it on food
And therefore, I don't have any money for anything else
I just save the money I get
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

CradledEggle

Lol I usually would have to do a lot of house work to get some type of money x3

(Washing clothes washing dishes cleaning around the house)

Or work....mowing lawns and such lol.

I has no money atm. I was sure my Saturday 'job' would get me some money *shot*

Lol NiGHTS. XD
------
~Circa 2009; We were kids back then, just looking for a past time~