SEGA Hit by Financial Losses, Cancelling Games and Focusing Only on Popular IP's

Started by Tanassy, March 30, 2012, 12:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanassy

http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/20120330sega_kaikaku_e_final.pdf

Thanks to some recent Financial losses, SEGA Japan has announced that it plans to reorganise it's western operations, and plans on cancelling several games currently in development, those of which are currently unclear. Instead, it will concentrate on more popular IP's, such as the Sonic franchise.

I'm not sure exactly what this means for the future of SEGA, but it's an interesting development. For one, it could mean higher quality work being put into the "less" amount of titles it releases for here on.  Any thoughts?

Gilly

I think SEGA would be crazy to not do something like this. People realize their games haven't been that great, and they really need to start caring more. I would love to see them release a fantastic Sonic game (though I do love Generations, they don't plan to do another game like it). I don't want to see them go down, they really just need to start producing quality games!

Long live the blue hedgehog!

Tanassy

While I agree with that, I also think that companies need to get a little more creative and bring out some NEW franchises. They're hit and miss in the industry these days but when they work the result is always amazing.

However, I do think that a lot of effort needs to go into these IP's too, like Sonic. Sonic Generations was a sign of things looking up, so we can hope if SEGA's making decisions like this it's for the better as well.

Supersonic196

Rodea Sky soldier :C

However if it means they'll put more resources towards Sonic, sacrifices have to made. :I

Tanassy

Quote from: supersonic196 on March 30, 2012, 03:44:09 AM
Rodea Sky soldier :C

However if it means they'll put more resources towards Sonic, sacrifices have to made. :I

Right, because we're totally not used to companies cancelling 3DS games. xD

jkid101094

SEGA was really starting to shape up in my mind. This is kinda disappointing to me. If any well known company needs to shape it's act up it's Capcom.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Tanassy

Quote from: jkid101094 on March 30, 2012, 04:30:40 AM
SEGA was really starting to shape up in my mind. This is kinda disappointing to me. If any well known company needs to shape it's act up it's Capcom.

When it comes to money, a company HAS to start making choices. Cancelling these games would indeed be an inconvenience, but they could be picked up later.

Supersonic196

I hope Crush3D is still going, I tried the demo last week, it was fantastic.

Also I didn't know Rodea was slated for 3DS. Now I'm even more dissapointed. :C

Tanassy

Supersonic196

Tanassy

jkid101094

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Tanassy

Quote from: jkid101094 on March 30, 2012, 12:48:59 PM
Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of checking release dates on your computer?

"Getting out" doesn't necessarily mean getting outside.

He's just getting out of his little bubble. :3

Supersonic196

Quote from: Iris Sapphire on March 30, 2012, 12:51:07 PM
"Getting out" doesn't necessarily mean getting outside.

He's just getting out of his little bubble. :3
Indeed, the only gaming news I keep up with is Sonic and general Nintendo stuff.

Hakudamashi

I wonder if this has anything to do with Generations selling like sh*t...

Also, this would be a pretty good time to revive some old favourites, like f*cking Jet Set Radio? Remember them?
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay