3DS Homebrew exploit released

Started by Elija2, November 20, 2014, 06:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elija2

Site to download the exploit

Anyone here have a copy of Cubic Ninja (why would you?). The game has already gone up in price at retailers and you need to launch the game every time you want to access the Homebrew Launcher. So far the only homebrew available is a couple emulators and basic games, but the exploit developer is looking into ways of disabling the 3DS' region-lock as well.

It's cool that homebrew is finally happening on the 3DS, but knowing Nintendo they'll be fighting against this in the next software update.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

I'm into it. If I can get 300 play coins I'm all for it.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

jkid101094

"I like how you want to use a console exploit to save you time rather than doing something illegal."

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

jkid101094

Quote from: Elija2 on August 03, 2015, 03:07:03 PM
Says the guy who pirates stuff.
I only do so liberally.

Quote from: Elija2 on August 03, 2015, 03:07:03 PM
And hacking a console to run homebrew isn't illegal.
I'm glad you think so.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

jkid101094

The funny thing is that the law isn't constant across all countries and, even if it was, there are still topics like fan games and pirating that are shaky at best because they require a lawsuit to be filed from copyright holders.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

jkid101094

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

jkid101094

QuoteThe RCMP release states that 'modifying a console and computer is considered an illegal act under Section 342.1 of the Criminal Code and is punishable by imprisonment for up to ten years.'"

My God are you fucking illiterate? That was literally the following sentence.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

jkid101094

Probably pertains to what is supported by the company manufacturing the modded product and, I can assure you, Nintendo is wholly against users modifying it's consoles.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Elija2 on August 03, 2015, 04:03:56 PM
What constitutes modifying? Is installing a new graphics card against the law?
In the literary sense, that would be building, not modding.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Hakudamashi

Actually
By it's definition, building can also be synonymous with boosting, where you add components to something with the purpose of making it harder, better, faster, stronger.

Y'know, "build upon", I'm sure you've heard that.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Hakudamashi

Except it's not
A modification is like, for example, taking the wings of an eagle and instead giving it machine gun arms, it has lost the ability to fly, but now has the ability to fire projectiles. You have not improved what was already there, you instead changed it's ability to something else.

Another example would be changing your normal everyday route to work, to also be able to drop off your wife at the grocery store along the way. You modified your route to facilitate the current need, it is not an objective improvement as the normal route takes you to work faster.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Hakudamashi

typically, meaning it's not it's only use.

And seeing as how "modify" covers more ground than "build", I can see why they chose that word.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Quote from: Elija2 on August 03, 2015, 04:15:44 PM
Well find me a news story of someone getting arrested only for modding their console and then I'll start worrying.
The purpose of this argument wasn't to worry you, it was to prove you wrong, which I did.

Quote from: Elija2 on August 03, 2015, 04:57:46 PM
So we're in agreement, according to that code upgrading your graphics card counts as modifying your computer and many Canadian PC gamers are openly breaking the law. Despite that, the only person who was arrested under this code just happened to also own hundreds of pirated games. So either the law isn't being properly enforced or this code can't be used against people who are only modding their consoles.
Except for the fact that modifying PCs is openly supported by the manufacturers while softmodding your 3DS is not.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.