This has Been on My Mind For The Longest Time

Started by Hakudamashi, November 10, 2014, 08:51:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hakudamashi

I can also have a good life with lung cancer

That's not my point, at all.
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Then what's your point? That we shouldn't let people with genetic disorders live because they might not be able to afford treatment?

Hakudamashi

My point is not to line them up in a shooting range and kill them all if that's what you're asking.

I'm asking, if you guys think humanity would be better off if we didn't prolong the life of people with these disorders and instead allowed them to die off, cause most of these diseases are fatal.

And no, I don't have anything against the disabled, nor am I asking anyone to suddenly take up arms and stop helping the disabled.
I'm just asking, to think back some years into the past, if doctors never started trying to treat them, and these bloodlines died off ages ago, wouldn't things be better today?
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Would humanity be better without these disorders? Sure. Should we refuse these people the opportunity to live because of this? Hell no. People with genetic disorders are still able to lead perfectly happy lives. If you went up to someone with Down's syndrome and asked them if they wanted to die, do you think they'd say yes? How does humanity benefit from letting these people die?

Hakudamashi

You start your point saying Humanity would be better without disorders, then end it saying humanity wouldn't be better without disorders.

I'm having trouble understanding you.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

I'm saying that a world without these disorders would be ideal, but it's not worth letting people die for.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: Hakudamashi on November 10, 2014, 11:38:43 AM
But...people die...

If that's the attitude you want to have, why do you care that these disorders exist?

Hakudamashi

Uuhh
I care cause I know people who are unhappy with their disorders?
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: Hakudamashi on November 10, 2014, 11:57:54 AM
Uuhh
I care cause I know people who are unhappy with their disorders?

Do you think those people would rather be dead?

Hakudamashi

Um...No?
And they don't wanna pass it on to their kids either.
They choose to adopt or stay single.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Okay but why do you want to stop other people from having children with disabilities?

Meme Master Flex

Quote from: Elija2 on November 10, 2014, 12:13:50 PM
Okay but why do you want to stop other people from having children with disabilities?
Isn't the answer to that obvious?

Ioshyriku

As some diseases die, others appear, so trying to stop them from multiplying is quite useless.
The best we can do is help them be happy.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Elija2 on November 10, 2014, 12:13:50 PM
Because you're giving something that...sucks, to a person that has no say on whether they want to live with it or not?

D-Do you know children that are "happy" to have disorders?

Quote from: Ioshyriku on November 10, 2014, 12:19:08 PM
As some diseases die, others appear, so trying to stop them from multiplying is quite useless.
The best we can do is help them be happy.
Well yeah, diseases in general, but genetic diseases, quite frankly, can be stopped...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay