That Feminist Gamer Girl Did a Thing (DERAILED)

Started by jkid101094, January 10, 2014, 05:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hakudamashi

Sure man.

I'll continue to do just that.
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

SmashFinale

Only thing is know is that the world record setting video usually do cater to women. Like Pac-Man and Mario Kart. There can be more games that cater to them but the stigma of gaming make women shy away from it. And as long as women only want to play casual games sexism is going to continue to run rampant unless some journalist wants to make a cash grab article. (like with DoA Xtreme)

We have some aware of the issue but it isnt nearly enough because those games don't sell well enough to garner attention from the general public.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: SmashFinale on September 16, 2014, 05:30:09 PM
Only thing is know is that the world record setting video usually do cater to women. Like Pac-Man and Mario Kart.
Pac Man and Mario Kart cater to everyone tho.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

So, uh, when does something become inherently sexist?

As in, I dont consider the Nurses in Silent Hill nor Cortana to be sexist, but I do consider Quiet sexist.

Elija2

Quote from: Crystal Candy on September 17, 2014, 05:28:23 AM
So, uh, when does something become inherently sexist?

As in, I dont consider the Nurses in Silent Hill nor Cortana to be sexist, but I do consider Quiet sexist.

Well if a game uses sexist tropes then it's probably sexist, even if the creators didn't intend for it to be. That's why we should be discouraging the use of these tropes.

I don't know much about Silent Hill, Halo, or MGS5 so I couldn't tell you what makes them sexist or not sexist.

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: Elija2 on September 17, 2014, 07:18:12 AM
Well if a game uses sexist tropes then it's probably sexist, even if the creators didn't intend for it to be. That's why we should be discouraging the use of these tropes.

I don't know much about Silent Hill, Halo, or MGS5 so I couldn't tell you what makes them sexist or not sexist.

... I starting to think that there's just a major lack of knowledge about games - the same issue I have with Sarkeesian, who isn't even a gamer.

Before you mentioned something akin to 'What alternatives do we have to Assassin's Creed', which I already found weird since

a)

and b)

I think the majority of people who complain about this issue just look at the surface and call it a day. It's like saying Hollywood movies suck, based on watching what's the most popular. Basically 'Outsiders' (Casuals) who just... dont know about the all the things in said medium.

This is probably why for me (and a lot of others) this is a not very big issue - We have access to all kinds of games.

Elija2

Assassin's Creed Liberation is a good example, but it's a spin-off game that nobody cares about because it's mediocre.
Remember Me plays nothing like Assassin's Creed, and from what I heard is also a pretty mediocre game.

People are pointing out correct examples of sexist tropes that are common in videogames and telling developers to stop using them. How is that "looking at the surface and calling it a day"? Nobody is saying that every videogame is sexist.

It's okay if you play and enjoy games that use sexist tropes, but it's still something that's worth talking about so that we can minimize their use.

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: Elija2 on September 17, 2014, 09:17:29 AM
Assassin's Creed Liberation is a good example, but it's a spin-off game that nobody cares about because it's mediocre.
Remember Me plays nothing like Assassin's Creed, and from what I heard is also a pretty mediocre game.

People are pointing out correct examples of sexist tropes that are common in videogames and telling developers to stop using them. How is that "looking at the surface and calling it a day"? Nobody is saying that every videogame is sexist.

It's okay if you play and enjoy games that use sexist tropes, but it's still something that's worth talking about so that we can minimize their use.

If I'd really want something, I'd be looking for it - and in this case I'd find it.

This like complaining about Micheal Bay's latest blockbuster having his female characters be nothing but eyecandy.

People just want more Blockbuster games with strong females, not just normal games having good female protagonists - Despite there technically being many, many already.

It's exactly just like looking at the surface. Looking at what's popular, and using that as base for this whole thing.
Wind did have a point: No one ever mentions all those games that do feature a great female protag.

Remember Me plays really similar to AC, just in a linear fashion. But it's medicore, based on IGN's latest review, isn't it?

Men are also always walking mass of ripped pretty boys, isn't that sexualisation too? Why aren't we doing anything against that just as much?

I also spoke to a bunch of guys at GT who do not buy games feautering female protags. Their reason?
Videogames are escapism. As long the core audience is almost strictly male, this again adds to the point that isn't too big of a deal.

Also, for me personally, I dont have any issue with this because I got dozens of games where I can be a good female character at my fingertip.

Elija2

Quote from: Crystal Candy on September 17, 2014, 09:46:35 AM
If I'd really want something, I'd be looking for it - and in this case I'd find it.
You're saying that instead of trying to improve what we have, we should just look for something else? That's stupid.

This like complaining about Micheal Bay's latest blockbuster having his female characters be nothing but eyecandy.
Uhh...yes, it is.

People just want more Blockbuster games with strong females, not just normal games having good female protagonists - Despite there technically being many, many already.
I think you're underestimating the number of games that use sexist tropes. I'm sure many of the games that you enjoy use sexist tropes but you don't notice them because you don't understand why they're sexist.

It's exactly just like looking at the surface. Looking at what's popular, and using that as base for this whole thing.
Wind did have a point: No one ever mentions all those games that do feature a great female protag.
As I said, the Feminist Frequency videos point out good examples of games that avoid sexist tropes. But you're right, nobody ever mentions good female characters.

Men are also always walking mass of ripped pretty boys, isn't that sexualisation too? Why aren't we doing anything against that just as much?
Being sexy doesn't mean you're being sexualized.

I also spoke to a bunch of guys at GT who do not buy games feautering female protags. Their reason?
Videogames are escapism. As long the core audience is almost strictly male, this again adds to the point that isn't too big of a deal.
Games don't need to have female protagonists to not be sexist.

Also, for me personally, I dont have any issue with this because I got dozens of games where I can be a good female character at my fingertip.
So you're like Haku, you don't care because it doesn't affect you. I guess a little empathy is too much to ask from you guys.

Hakudamashi

Empathise with what exactly?

Like, it's entertainment, for people to enjoy, and different people enjoy different things. If you don't like one game, you can move on to another.

It's not like real sexism where one can't simply find another job if they're harassed. Where there's no easy way out, no immediate alternative, to quick place to turn to.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: Hakudamashi on September 17, 2014, 01:04:32 PM
Like, it's entertainment, for people to enjoy, and different people enjoy different things. If you don't like one game, you can move on to another.

Are you seriously defending sexism in videogames by saying that people don't have to play sexist games?

Hakudamashi

If I'm defending anything, it's creative freedom.
As a developer, he/she should be free to make whatever they choose, and as a consumer, you're free to pick, choose and refuse what to indulge in.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Creative freedom is a bad excuse for objectifying women.

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: Elija2 on September 17, 2014, 04:25:58 PM
Creative freedom is a bad excuse for objectifying women.

But it is one that counts. The same way I'm allowed to make incredibly racist statements.

Quote from: Elija2 on September 17, 2014, 10:14:43 AM
You're saying that instead of trying to improve what we have, we should just look for something else? That's stupid.

Improve what? There's dozens, and dozens of games out there with good, non-objectified, even playable, female protagonists out there. You're just not playing them. There's an alternative to everything.

Again with the Transformers example: Just watch Pacific Rim.

That's what I do. I am living in ecstasy.

Keep complaining about the latest Assassins Creed lacking a female co-op player, while I enjoy

Besides, why not join game development it's such a major issue? You certainly could shake things up with a good indie game. But that'd require effort, wouldn't it. It's exactly like those young people complaining about politics, instead of joining politics themselves.

Elija2

Quote from: Crystal Candy on September 18, 2014, 05:14:14 AM
Improve what?

The games that objectify women? The thing we've been talking about this whole time?

There's dozens, and dozens of games out there with good, non-objectified, even playable, female protagonists out there. You're just not playing them. There's an alternative to everything.

I guess I can never complain about anything being bad ever again because there are always alternatives.

Besides, why not join game development it's such a major issue? You certainly could shake things up with a good indie game. But that'd require effort, wouldn't it. It's exactly like those young people complaining about politics, instead of joining politics themselves.

Yes, learning game development and making my own game is much easier than telling people that already make games not to be sexist.