Gamecube games on WiiWare?

Started by SmashFinale, July 21, 2011, 06:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmashFinale

I found this a few minutes ago and i had to make this topic. Take a look:
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/20/nintendo-marketing-exec-says-gamecube-games-coming-to-wiiware/
Discuss whatever u want about this.

jkid101094

Quote from: SmashFinale on July 21, 2011, 06:47:57 AM
I found this a few minutes ago and i had to make this topic. Take a look:
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/20/nintendo-marketing-exec-says-gamecube-games-coming-to-wiiware/
Discuss whatever u want about this.
No Gamecube discs...? FFFFFU-

Oh well, maybe I can finally get Pikmin and Super Mario Sunshine back via legit back ups. I hope the WiiU has Homebrew.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Tanassy

I bet they're gonna put Luigi's mansion up there, for 3DS's sake.

SmashFinale

Quote from: Tana~ on July 21, 2011, 06:55:26 AM
I bet they're gonna put Luigi's mansion up there, for 3DS's sake.
Nice copy pasta

Tanassy

Hakudamashi

I take it the WiiU can't play gamecube discs
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

epicwinning

they had better put some good classics on there it would make me buy the wii u

Tanassy

Nope, the Wii U cannot play GC discs. Thus, is the whole point.

SmashFinale

it sucks but not surprising. i dont think there is any game console that can support two older versions

jkid101094

Quote from: SmashFinale on July 23, 2011, 02:26:38 PM
it sucks but not surprising. i dont think there is any game console that can support two older versions
The upgraded PS3.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

SmashFinale

Quote from: jkid101094 on July 23, 2011, 02:42:55 PM
The upgraded PS3.
i thought only the older PS3 models were the only ones that could do that

Tanassy

Backwards compatibility is a tricky thing, you see. Did you know the SNES was far too "advanced" to be backwards compatible with the NES? It was even originally planned.

SuperWind

Hope you guys are having fun on the Sonic Zone!
                 WHERE FUN IS NEVER DONE!

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Tana~ on July 24, 2011, 06:20:51 AM
Backwards compatibility is a tricky thing, you see. Did you know the SNES was far too "advanced" to be backwards compatible with the NES? It was even originally planned.
I'm not following
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tanassy

Quote from: windlessusher on July 24, 2011, 02:27:55 PM
I'm not following
Considering the massive amount of time between the release of the two systems you can understand it was a massive leap forward in technology. I actually own a few books on Retro videogame hardware and and in one of them it says that it was "too costly" to have backwards compatibility given that huge jump from 8 to 16 bit. (Not to mention the SNES's little "mode 7" trick)

What I'm trying to say though is that the difference in two completely different pieces of hardware is a factor you have to think about. The Wii and the GC were similar systems and so it must have been fairly easy to include backwards compatibility, but the Wii U is clearly using some different tech, which means it'd take some more costly work getting the GC code running on it without any modifications. You could say "But Wii games work fine", well yes, but they are clearly engineered differently.

Think of how your old windows 95 game/app won't run on Vista/7. It runs on XP though, and well, XP is pretty much compatible with Vista and 7. It's just that gap in technology.

So that just means in order to get GC games running on Wii U they need to be re-compiled for the system. Nintendo saves money and space by not having to do any more hardware tinkering, and they get more money by reselling GC games. A win for them, and not too much of a loss for us really.

Hakudamashi

That doesn't explain why the PS3 is backwards compatible with the PS1 but not PS2...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tanassy

Quote from: windlessusher on July 24, 2011, 03:15:33 PM
That doesn't explain why the PS3 is backwards compatible with the PS1 but not PS2...
Because the PS1 can be really easily emulated with hardware like that? Or maybe because it's got a similar CPU architecture?

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Tana~ on July 24, 2011, 03:31:03 PM
Because the PS1 can be really easily emulated with hardware like that? Or maybe because it's got a similar CPU architecture?
So how come the old PS3 could, but the new one can't?
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tanassy

Quote from: windlessusher on July 24, 2011, 03:33:47 PM
So how come the old PS3 could, but the new one can't?
Can't or won't? As to that I'm not actually sure. Does the "new" PS3 have altered hardware?

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Tana~ on July 24, 2011, 03:35:26 PM
Can't or won't? As to that I'm not actually sure. Does the "new" PS3 have altered hardware?
Do I look like a wiz at hardware mechanics to you?
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tanassy

Not at all.

*ahem* Anyway, after reading up, I think it's decided it's more of a "won't" than a can't. Than again, it was also covering the "costly" issue I brought up earlier, because I know there were plenty of subtle changes, and that could well mean there was also some behind-the-scenes tinkering. I suppose it was only because the demand for Backwards compatibility wasn't high enough, and well, the machine was like $2174612732863 [actually roughly  $900].

Hakudamashi

So again, money is the problem
F*ck, you'd think that with EVERYTHING being overpriced they could afford to be more creative with their creations...
We are literally paying more for less
Its annoying
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tanassy

Quote from: windlessusher on July 24, 2011, 03:47:43 PM
So again, money is the problem
F*ck, you'd think that with EVERYTHING being overpriced they could afford to be more creative with their creations...
We are literally paying more for less
Its annoying
There are reasons for the shitty prices on stuff, but when it comes to SONY,what's the excuse?

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Tana~ on July 24, 2011, 03:56:50 PM
There are reasons for the shitty prices on stuff, but when it comes to SONY,what's the excuse?
Make the PS2 last longer?
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tanassy

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Tana~ on July 24, 2011, 04:10:41 PM
You could be right.
Y'know what else would make it last?
Having it easily accessible and a low price
So if it's just PS2 epics that you missed that you want, you could just get a PS2
Nd if you want all the current big games with The ability to play ur old PS2 games as a bonus, the. Get a PS3

I like how we shifted this discussion from Nintendo to Sony
That is soo like me XD
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tanassy

Quote from: windlessusher on July 24, 2011, 04:21:46 PM
Y'know what else would make it last?
Having it easily accessible and a low price
So if it's just PS2 epics that you missed that you want, you could just get a PS2
Nd if you want all the current big games with The ability to play ur old PS2 games as a bonus, the. Get a PS3

I like how we shifted this discussion from Nintendo to Sony
That is soo like me XD
Nintendo has less flaws to talk about.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Tana~ on July 24, 2011, 04:25:41 PM
I walked right into that one
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tanassy

The_Legend_Chao

gamecube gams on wiiWare?
Cool and awesome
Sry for my bad english.

SmashFinale

Quote from: Tana~ on July 24, 2011, 04:25:41 PM
But Nintendo still has flaws...

Super Sonic Boom

Quote from: SmashFinale on July 27, 2011, 11:48:37 AM
But Nintendo still has flaws...

True...
I still think Gamecube games on WiiWare is a clever move, I dunno if it would require a Wii update but anyway I like the idea because then I don't have to lose track of disks PLUS I can transfer games to SD cards if I run out of room.

SmashFinale

Gamecube Games will take up a lot of memory, probably too much for the Wii...
hmm...  :-\

Tanassy

Quote from: SmashFinale on July 27, 2011, 01:51:57 PM
hmm...  :-\
Nintendo are Masters of compression, and most of the 1.2 (I think?) GB Disks were filled with about 70% dummy data anyway. xD

blazerh44

Quote from: Chris Silvano on July 27, 2011, 01:43:07 PM
True...
I still think Gamecube games on WiiWare is a clever move, I dunno if it would require a Wii update but anyway I like the idea because then I don't have to lose track of disks PLUS I can transfer games to SD cards if I run out of room.

Smartest move since sliced bread.

Quote from: SmashFinale on July 27, 2011, 01:51:57 PM

Don't forget that the Wii U is supposed to be a LOT more powerful than the Wii, so I could see it being done. Also, dummy data

Iwillbenapo

Well the Wii U has no Gamecube memory card slots, so if one were to play a gamecube game by disk on the Wii U...

Anyway, if this were to be true, how would anyone play games like Mario Party 7? Most of the games (or rather, some) need the mic in memory card slot two, so I'm not sure how this will work.
Napo.

Tanassy

Quote from: Iwillbenapo on August 06, 2011, 08:19:18 AM
Well the Wii U has no Gamecube memory card slots, so if one were to play a gamecube game by disk on the Wii U...

Anyway, if this were to be true, how would anyone play games like Mario Party 7? Most of the games (or rather, some) need the mic in memory card slot two, so I'm not sure how this will work.
Mic? Use a USB Microphone?

Iwillbenapo

That is a good idea, just that if that would work, Nintendo may have to change some data and dialogue.
Napo.

SmashFinale

hmm maybe... or they could just take out those parts of the game

Iwillbenapo

Napo.

SmashFinale

What about Pokemon Colosseum? that required the damn GBA more than anything...

Iwillbenapo

Simple, attach the Game Boy Advance to the Gamecube and get the broadband adapter and connect to Wi-Fi with the Gamecube and also connect the Wii U online to the internet and then eventually things'll happen and then GBA Pokemon is into the Gamecube game Wii U game.
Napo.

jkid101094

Quote from: SmashFinale on August 09, 2011, 06:54:25 AM
What about Pokemon Colosseum? that required the damn GBA more than anything...
They'll remove that feature from Colosseum, then. :P
And it was only to trade Pokemon. You could only use it after you beat the game, anyway.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

SmashFinale

What about Four Swords Multiplayer? they might be forced to remove that

jkid101094

Quote from: SmashFinale on August 09, 2011, 06:16:53 PM
What about Four Swords Multiplayer? they might be forced to remove that
Well, the WiiU does have an extra screen...

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

SmashFinale

Quote from: jkid101094 on August 09, 2011, 06:33:28 PM
Well, the WiiU does have an extra screen...
for one controller so far