Someone at Sony just lost their nut.

Started by Tanassy, March 29, 2012, 09:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanassy

shadowDOESrock

indeed.
it was only a matter of time before someone has to 'kill' gamestop | Microsoft apparantly does the same thing.

Also, if the Orbis really such a hardware, its gonna be a fucking expensive again, and then that would be the last time sony would join the console fight, and i dont want that. >:l

Tanassy

I can only hope this information is subject to change..

As for the hardware, AMD.......    aagfjsfasdfds

jkid101094

QuoteFurthermore, according to Kotaku's source, Orbis will not feature backwards compatibility with PlayStation 3 games.
They're trying to do what they did with the PS3 again. Kill backwards capability so that people still have a reason to buy the last console. I hate that and if anything it needs to die.

Quoteand will incorporate some sort of used-games restriction. Apparently, once a consumer inserts a Blu-ray disc into Orbis it must be tied to a PSN account and can no longer be shared. The data can be installed onto the system and flagged as "downloaded" from the PSN so it can be re-downloaded for future use. Sources are "unclear" as to how the disc functions following this, though one possibility is that the disc can allow consumers to access trial content before purchasing the full game on their console.
This confuses me. So we can't buy used PS4 games now? What a load of bullshit.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Tanassy

Quote from: jkid101094 on March 30, 2012, 04:36:10 AM
They're trying to do what they did with the PS3 again. Kill backwards capability so that people still have a reason to buy the last console. I hate that and if anything it needs to die.
Actually, Backwards compatibility was done via emulation with the first model of the PS3, but the feature was removed, apparently for cost reasons.

Quote from: jkid101094 on March 30, 2012, 04:36:10 AM
This confuses me. So we can't buy used PS4 games now? What a load of bullshit.

Exactly. if you got a game for it that someone had already played, you could only access trial content.. fuck that, honestly.. I'd share accounts with my friends :l
Not only does it kill most retail businesses, but it's such an inconvenience..

Imagine losing your PSN account. All your games suddenly out the window, no way to get them back. Oh well, might as well throw those discs in the bin...

jkid101094

Quote from: Iris Sapphire on March 30, 2012, 04:59:20 AM
Actually, Backwards compatibility was done via emulation with the first model of the PS3, but the feature was removed, apparently for cost reasons.
I'm aware of this. Cost reasons my ass. Sony just wanted to extend the life of the PS2...and it worked. Now they're doing the same thing with 3.

Exactly. if you got a game for it that someone had already played, you could only access trial content.. fuck that, honestly.. I'd share accounts with my friends :l
Not only does it kill most retail businesses, but it's such an inconvenience..

Imagine losing your PSN account. All your games suddenly out the window, no way to get them back. Oh well, might as well throw those discs in the bin...
Hopefully most games for PS4 are also on Wii U because I don't want to deal with this BS.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Supersonic196

if you got a game for it that someone had already played, you could only access trial content.
That would mean writing some extra code on the disc once it's inserted for the first time.
But knowing Sony, I wouldn't be surprised.

Quote from: jkid101094 on March 30, 2012, 05:35:20 AM
Hopefully most games for PS4 are also on Wii U because I don't want to deal with this BS.
I'm not even gonna bother with other companies if the WiiU is everything we've heard so far.
Considering this is Nintendo; it'll probably surpass expectations.

Tanassy

I'm aware of this. Cost reasons my ass. Sony just wanted to extend the life of the PS2...and it worked. Now they're doing the same thing with 3.

No.. it was quite literally for cost reasons, and emulation was touchy anyway. Even so, the PS2 would have lived several years on no matter what. That thing basically raped the console market right from launch.

Quote from: supersonic196 on March 30, 2012, 05:38:02 AM
That would mean writing some extra code on the disc once it's inserted for the first time.
But knowing Sony, I wouldn't be surprised.

The disc is basically just content. First time you insert the disc- you tie the game to your console/PSN account. From then on you need to play the game on that console or with that same account.
Nothing is done to the disc.. it's just like DRM..

If anything, Sony is going to realise how BS this is. That, or they're going to be omitted from the market, plain and simple.
It's a shame, because Sony's first parties make really great games. If worst comes to worst, I'll probably get one a few years into it's lifespan for exclusives if they're good enough. Till then I'll be getting a Wii U~

Thinking on it.. while it's a lot to complain about, it's still a new console.. While there's no backwards compatibility, we know at least we'll be getting cheaper hardware in favour of that change. And we'll be getting new games and other features. We'll have to wait until release to see what we'll be getting out of Sony's new console.
At least it isn't like the NextBox- which is entirely devoid of a disc drive.
Quote from: supersonic196 on March 30, 2012, 05:38:02 AM
Considering this is Nintendo; it'll probably surpass expectations.
Nintendo have made several huge failures and bad decisions in the past, usually every other decision they make is a dodgy one- whether they make good of it is another question. I have no doubt that the Wii U will be a formidable and worthwhile console but you put too much faith in them.

Hakudamashi

If this war against used games and backwards compatibility persists, then I'm gonna be a PC-Gamer, indie developers don't do this sh*t
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: Iris Sapphire on March 30, 2012, 12:28:24 PM.
At least it isn't like the NextBox- which is entirely devoid of a disc drive.

Actually the nextbox has two versions, one affordable without disc drive and one with disc drive.

Quote from: windlessusher on March 30, 2012, 05:05:28 PM
If this war against used games and backwards compatibility persists, then I'm gonna be a PC-Gamer, indie developers don't do this sh*t

STEAM says hi.

Sony just wanted to extend the life of the PS2...and it worked. Now they're doing the same thing with 3.

All current systems have no backwards compatibility because of the costs. lawl.

Tanassy

Quote from: windlessusher on March 30, 2012, 05:05:28 PM
Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on March 30, 2012, 09:29:40 PM
STEAM says hi.
Quote from: windlessusher on March 30, 2012, 05:05:28 PM indie developers

Almost all steam's indie games only use steam as a secondary option, and even then, steam only handles the game, there's no DRM involved and games are unlimited-use.

jkid101094

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on March 30, 2012, 09:29:40 PM
All current systems have no backwards compatibility because of the costs. lawl.
lolwhat?

I'm not sure about Xbox, but Wii and 3DS both support backwards compatibility, the 3DS even supporting DSI Eshop downloads, and the WiiU has Wii in it's name, even using the same controllers. I'm not getting this.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

TheGameNinja

The 360 is backwards compatible with most Xbox games, the old version of the console anyway. Don't know about the new one. Its just Sony that's killing off backwards compatibility.

Tanassy

Actually the current generation is the MOST backwards compatible. The Wii was Nintendo's first B/C console (Not including handhelds), the Xbox 360 KINDA supports it, and both handhelds support it, it's just PS3 that threw it out the window.

It still affects cost though. Nintendo are most likely just using similar hardware architecture for native compatibility. the 360 as I said only supports a few games and they have to be particular regions- and only on older models anyway. The 3DS also has similar architecture along with the Vita, But the PS3 had to use emulation.

shadowDOESrock

The Xbox 360 Slim doesnt support xbox games anymore and neither does the Wii.
are you people up to date?

sony only where the first ones to do so.