Rulep's Videogame Review Episode 3: Wario Land 3

Started by Rulep, February 05, 2011, 12:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rulep

Wario Land 3 Review

Good old Wario is back for another adventure in the wacky and crazy world he lives in. Only for the Game Boy Color (GBC) or any system, which has a GBC backwards compatibility.  Also rumour has it a 3DS port will come out in its online shop.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The story starts off with are friend Wario driving his plane. When all of a sudden the plane has a random melt function. Wario falls down to a forest, and discovers a cave. After he steps into the cave, and finds a globe, which sucks him into itself. Then he wakes up in a temple, where he is greeted by this unknown figure, who claims he used to be a god before he's powers was sealed into 5 music boxes scattered around the globe. Wario agrees to help him, so he can get out of the globe, and keep all of the treasures he finds. I really don't trust that guy. I mean he doesn't even look human or peaceful...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The gameplay is what no game has today. It starts off with the map where you select a level day or night. For a few levels the mission (s) can only be completed day or night. Like in one level you need a zombie to give you temporary ability to go through floors, which are thin and not thick.  But the zombies only come in night.

I pressed A on the over world, and end up in a forest. The level is a 2-d plat former mixed with some puzzles. The only thing I can do is a dash attack that can defeat most enemies, and break crumbled bricks. I can jump on enemies, but I don't bounce off them, unlike Super Mario All Stars.

I just made to end of the level, and I see a chest. I approach the treasure, and nothing happens. I pressed pause to find an exit button, so I can leave the level. I see 4 chests and on top of them I see keys. Each key/chest has its own color. The gray key opens the gray chest. Then I back track, and find the key. I travel to the chest again. I move towards it, Wario unlocks the chest with the key, and the treasure floats out of the chest. I got an axe!

The over world appears, and an event occurs with Wario cutting trees. Now that trees are away from the over world I can move on with the adventure. Ok I pass 10 levels, and I fight the first boss, which I won't spoil. After the chest gives a new power-up, "Ground Pound." A video tutorial shows up teaching me I can break crumbled brick that are under me , and enemies who hold bridges can be defeated. So now I can go to underground places. I head back to first level, and find a chest underground, and realized this game is half Legend of Zelda and Metroid. Only difference in the gameplay is you get a new move set. Also the video tutorial shows all of the powers you gained. The ones you don't have a dark question mark on them.

The graphics is the Game Boy Color at its best. Everything is well detailed. Though I have one very minor complaint. A few objects have a weird color filter surrounding them. The over world design is amazing. Levels aren't just placed in random places. Also the land design comes in a verity.

The music is nice, but not amazing. That's just me I never found any music in GBC to be amazing. Though sometimes the music gets stuck in my head.

The replay value is amazing! If you are new to this type of games then this game can take you to 50-70 hours. If you are familiar with Wario Land games than It will take you 20-30 hours.

+Gameplay is great
-You get new power-ups to reach places you couldn't reach before.
-The puzzles are somewhat challenging, and cleaver.
-The levels are HUGE!
-There are many unique bosses, and none are clones.
-There are 25 levels, and 100 treasures to collect.

+Graphics are great
-New fore/background every level.
-Well detailed graphics.

99/100 Nearly Perfect
Rulep: do you ever fall in love with yourself
Captain Nook: for me, there could never be anyone else.
Captain Nook: I've spent hours looking in the mirror.