Metal Gear Rising

Started by shadowDOESrock, May 25, 2012, 01:28:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hakudamashi

Quote from: SmashFinale on February 19, 2013, 01:18:01 AM
Any chance this game will be panned like Aliens?
I'm currently convinced that Platinum games are incapable of making a bad game.
Watching a lets play of it, it looks fan-f*cking-tastic.
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Once again I hear that this game is good at best and OK at worst but then again I only listen to so many opinions.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: jkid101094 on February 20, 2013, 07:55:33 PM
Once again I hear that this game is good at best and OK at worst but then again I only listen to so many opinions.

I can see Americans not being the biggest fans of this, since it is very japanese-y.
Like... very freaking japanese-y.

Hakudamashi

F*ck yes, bring back the era of REAL videogames, not interactive movies.
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on February 21, 2013, 12:14:26 AM
I can see Americans not being the biggest fans of this, since it is very japanese-y.
Like... very freaking japanese-y.
I don't think Japanese-y is really a problem...like...ever.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: jkid101094 on February 21, 2013, 04:40:30 PM
I don't think Japanese-y is really a problem...like...ever.

Raiden can dodge. lul.

And there are alot of Western People who do not buy very japanese-y games. Hence why they usually arent sellers

jkid101094

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on February 21, 2013, 10:30:35 PM
And there are alot of Western People who do not buy very japanese-y games. Hence why they usually arent sellers
I know that.

I meant for people who generally play those kinds of games.

I mean, I wouldn't play something like Katamari if I was afraid of playing something too Japanese.

I guess the line is kind of blurred with MGS but hopefully you get my point. For most western gamers 'too Japanese' isn't really a thing.

As far as I know it's generally the sports/cod players that get turned off by those things.

I'm willing to admit this argument is bullshit.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Tanassy

Okay so

I'm only up to chapter 4, but I have a few things to say about this game.

First of all, for a Metal Gear game, the stealth is shit. I know it's a hack n' slash cutting simulator action-y eye candy style skill kill bla bla bla all that genre game, but when the punishment for getting caught is sometimes SO great, the bad stealth mechanics stand out and hit this game's score down.

second problem with the game is character development. It does a great job of engaging you with the central characters, but all of the side characters (Such as codec buddies) are just.. there. What if I want to know who these people are? they're acting as if they know [Raiden] me, and I don't know them, so I can't sympathise or interact with them, and I find the codec calls immensely boring. a little more effort in introducing these characters would have been good by me.

The third problem is conveyance. this game does not convey direction or flow of control very well, and it leaves you with a few seconds of down time to figure out how to do something on your own which it shouldn't (Figuring things out is good, simply not knowing what do do next isn't) or, sometimes even throwing you into a deadly situation without telling you you're even part of a sequence (This results in a few "WTF" deaths, but checkpoints are lifesavers here). The same thing goes for learning new abilities. VR training feels so detached from the main game and as a tutorial platform I don't approve of it. The game simply doesn't give you a moment to try out these new abilities, and important ones like the dodge are completely left up to chance. That should be fixed.

Okay, so Negatives aside, this is a fantastic game. I praised the hell out of DmC earlier this year and I think that this beats even that. Even with it' flaws this is one of the best action games I've ever played, it doesn't overuse quicktime events, meaning skill is essential, but quicktimes feel great. The cutting mechanic is sheer orgasm inducing sometimes and being able to cut so damn fast in any direction feels great. while combos can be weird and slow sometimes, the pace of the game is super fast, aided by the Ninja Run and other awesome techniques. The boss battles are superb and the vocal tracks they are set to are fucking AWESOME! Only problem being, some of them are piss poor easy, and others are rage inducingly hard. No problem there, I like challenge in my games, and it certainly delivers in those areas.

I'll probably have more to say about it when I'm done with it. In other news, I've started a playthrough on my Channel, so you can check that out if you want.

shadowDOESrock

... turns out this is one of my favourite games of all time.

If you haven't played this yet, you're seriously missing out. Especially if you like hack n' slash games.