Let's Set a Scenario! Reboot or Revise Your Favorite Game Franchises!

Started by jkid101094, November 20, 2012, 07:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkid101094

Five or ten years from now you are the founder and owner of a large video game company. You are also a head director on the companies main projects. You oversee all of your game's aspects and, to receive your pay, your workers bend to make your games EXACTLY the way you want them.

One day a trusted employee invites you to talk about an interesting business prospect. Over a cup of tea or coffee or whatever he tells you that it might be a fun idea to buy the rights to older, discontinued franchises or ones that have declined in recent years to revamp or reboot them entirely. You agree with the concept and a new team is formed in your company devoted to studying these older games from head to toe to find out what works and what doesn't. After hiring your first few employees you set them out to work...there's only one problem. You have no rights to work with yet.

You call up some companies and, to your surprise, every single one seems interested in the prospect. You now have the rights to use almost every character or name in the long history of gaming.

My questions to you are, who did you call? What franchises did you pick? Will you reboot the series or create a new installment? What would you do to the game or the series' formula?

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Super Sonic Boom

Guitar Hero - plain and simple.

I've talked with my mom, yes my mom of all people (since she knows good 70's, 80's, and 90's music) and the idea is simple. Let the people CHOOSE the set lists. Yes I know Rock Band and Guitar Hero let people requests songs and they consider them but then we get a mix of rock to punk to alternative to country songs that don't seem to hit to mark with any people. They try to appeal to everyone but just leave everyone empty.

Licensing may be a problem with this but honestly that may not be the problem if the companies see these franchises doing them right. Let good songs and groups be on the set lists for the games but don't let Van Halen and other bands have a one track game just to sell out. Just let them be one BIG trackpack or section in the games and then let people play through the songs (like Rush's 2112 in GH6).

Tanassy

Quote from: Chris Silvano on November 21, 2012, 04:18:12 PM
Guitar Hero - plain and simple.

I've talked with my mom, yes my mom of all people (since she knows good 70's, 80's, and 90's music) and the idea is simple. Let the people CHOOSE the set lists. Yes I know Rock Band and Guitar Hero let people requests songs and they consider them but then we get a mix of rock to punk to alternative to country songs that don't seem to hit to mark with any people. They try to appeal to everyone but just leave everyone empty.

Licensing may be a problem with this but honestly that may not be the problem if the companies see these franchises doing them right. Let good songs and groups be on the set lists for the games but don't let Van Halen and other bands have a one track game just to sell out. Just let them be one BIG trackpack or section in the games and then let people play through the songs (like Rush's 2112 in GH6).

I was thinking something like this, actually.
In a day and age where the normal disk format is >=25GB, this isn't such a hefty ambition. The only problem is licensing and getting masters of each track... of course, if you have enough money, anything is possible I guess.

The track lists of all the Guitar Hero games have been Hit and Miss ALL OF THE TIME. And I'd play Rock Band.. but that game is just IMO, bad.
I've never experienced a solid track list, only a few songs I've liked. (Unless it's a titled game like Van Halen)

Anyway.

------
My own personal choice would be Star Fox.
What I want is a more dark, proper Star Fox game that combines the mechanics of Assault and Lylat Wars in massive, memorable and dynamic set-pieces where you're constantly on your toes, but also always aiming for that high score.

To me, Star Fox is "Cinematic and game-y at the same time", it plays like a  real Shmup, but it's just as cinematic and inspired as most artistic games. When Q-GAMES had the license, it was a mess. When RARE had the rights, it was just.. not star fox. When NAMCO had the rights to make a starfox game, it was very inspired, but it was changed it into too much of a trivial, unpolished experience.

Nobody has captured that Star Fox experience since 64, and I would kill for the chance to change that.

eastport

I want spyro and Crash Bandicoot to go back to their respective developers. Ever since they got sold they have been complete crap.

Megaman123

Here's how I would like it to turn out:
Rocksteady asks me for a reboot of the Arkham games.It will be called Batman: Arkham Families.
The Joker is dead. He had a baby with Harley before his death. He is EXACTLY like his dad. His actions cause Bruce Wayne, now 67,but still in perfect condition, rises again as THE BATMAN.
Thats what I got so far.  :D