What Happened to Sequels?

Started by Hakudamashi, July 23, 2011, 06:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hakudamashi

Remember a time in the past where the next installment to a game was very much different from the previous? The game doesn't necessarily look any better, but they added and or changed enough aspects of a game to make it feel like a separate game, but at the same time has enough of the old to remind you which franchise you're playing.
I mean, look at the transition from Kingdom Hearts 1 to Kingdom Hearts 2, God of War 1 to God of War 2, Persona 3 to Persona 4, Jak 2 to Jak 3, etc.
Another thing I liked about sequels(albeit a bittersweet feeling) was the long wait for said sequel to be released.

But now? Not only are sequels being released within the same freakin year, but the difference between said "sequels" are almost ignorable, even more so with the existence of DLC.
There are many examples I could give *cough*capcom*cough*, but the one that grinded my gears hard enough to make me make this topic is Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations.
I remember back when the Naruto ultimate ninja series started. For a sequel to be even thought, the anime had to pass an important arc, such as how the 2nd was made after the Leaf Destruction Arc was finished. The new game came with new characters, old characters got new movesets, some with just tweaked movesets, and the way how Ultimates worked and portrayed were always changed from game to game, sometimes for better, sometimes for worse.
This stayed true all the way to Ultimate Ninja Storm. F*ck characters getting new movesets, the entire frickin game got a new moveset. It was completely new and exciting and all these things and looked like the start of an epic new turn for the Ultimate Ninja series and were all dying to see this in the Shippudden arcs. The anime was taking FOREVER to get there and manga was soo far ahead, but I said in my mind the wait would be f*cking worth it.
The manga reached the Pain vs. Konoha arc, and what did I see on the internets soon after?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_MRs-OkJ9w&feature=relmfu
I bout I played it, and it was everything you'd expect from a sequel, it was indeed very different from Storm from the story mode right down to the core fighting itself, but it still made you remember you're playing an Ultimate Ninja game.

So what, the f*ck, is with Generations?
My first problem is that it hasn't even been a full year b4 Storm 2 came out
The only "major" plot point I can see that has passed which they can actually stop at the moment is after Naruto and Sasuke's little meeting, considering the war comes right after that, which is FAR from over btw.... which isn't much story at all considering where Storm 2 finished.
And lastly, the game seems to play the same as Storm 2, they even kept it at 2 health bars...
All I've seen so far is that they added new guys and stages..... why couldn't that be fixed with DLC
In fact, alot of my problems with sequels these days could be fixd with DLC.... What's the f*cking point of DLC then? And why do people plan out DLC BEFORE they make the game? If you have the idea already, JUST PUT IT IN THE F*CKING GAME

Someone once told me that this whole DLC business is ruining games, now I see what he meant.

When I hear about sequels, I want something like Little Big Planet 2, or inFamous 2, it gives you a different game that feels like the old, providing bonus content you can't get with no amt of DLC
Is that soo hard?

P.S. While making this rant, I also realised another reason why Sonic fans hate current Sonic games, go figure.
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

You do realise that the game will be released fall 12 and is an early build. They're still working on Asuras Wrath for Capcom.

Now, are you reading the Naruto Manga?
Just saiyn that the tale of Naruto wont last another 2 years.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Lucyfied~ on July 24, 2011, 03:23:44 AM
You do realise that the game will be released fall 12 and is an early build. They're still working on Asuras Wrath for Capcom.

Now, are you reading the Naruto Manga?
Just saiyn that the tale of Naruto wont last another 2 years.

In the past, at least a full year had to pass b4 a hint or reveal of the sequel was shown
And I'm sure it hasn't been 12 months yet =/

And yes I have read the manga, and I will place a bet that Naruto will SOMEHOW make it into 3 more years...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Complaining about a game that hasn't been released yet? Sonic fans sure are familiar with that!

And Sonic fans don't hate Sonic games because they're all the same. Sonic Colours had some major differences from Sonic Unleashed, which in turn was very different from Sonic 06.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Elija2 on July 24, 2011, 02:01:58 PM
And Sonic fans don't hate Sonic games because they're all the same. Sonic Colours had some major differences from Sonic Unleashed, which in turn was very different from Sonic 06.
Isn't that what I said?
I meant in the middle part. If you're gonna start a franchise you should have a formula and stick to it. So that whenever ppl hear the name, they'll k ow exactly what to expect. Sure you can experiment and have something different, but the core roots are still there to remind you what franchise you're playing
Like Kirby, in the beginning he was about eating ppl, taking their powers. Even when Nintendo wanted to try something different and made Kirby's Air Ride, a racing game, they still kept what made Kirby, Kirby, eating enemies and taking their powers.
Which I'm assuming is why Kirby's Epic Yarn got such bad rep, they took the one thing that made a Kirby game, so no matter how good the game is, the fact of the matter is, "it isn't Kirby"

A franchise name can seriously work against a game's existence if you're not careful

And yes, I am bitching about games that arent released yet
Sue me
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: windlessusher on July 24, 2011, 01:42:29 PM
In the past, at least a full year had to pass b4 a hint or reveal of the sequel was shown
And I'm sure it hasn't been 12 months yet =/

And yes I have read the manga, and I will place a bet that Naruto will SOMEHOW make it into 3 more years...

Yes, it was announced way to early this time.
Doesnt change the fact that its gonna be released fall 2012.

As i said, they're still working on Asuras Wrath.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Lucyfied~ on July 25, 2011, 12:43:04 AM
Yes, it was announced way to early this time.
Doesnt change the fact that its gonna be released fall 2012.

As i said, they're still working on Asuras Wrath.

It still bothers me
I want to have a feeling of "I miss that game" before I hear of the next one
I completely kills the longing feeling
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay