So... has anyone played the "Hyperdimension Neptunia" series here?

Started by Tanassy, August 01, 2012, 12:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanassy

For anyone who doesn't know, Hyperdimension Neptunia is a PS3 exclusive series of games about... well.. games.

The gameworld itself is called "Gamindustri", and is made up of four nations, which represent four different Companies in the industry. Planetptune, which is (essentially) SEGA, Leanbox (Microsoft). Lowee (Nintendo) and Lastation (Sony). Each nation is protected.. and essentially represented by a "CPU", Console Patron Unit. They would be the central characters of the game. THey are human, but transform, rather magical-girl-like, when they activate "HDD", Hard Drive Divinity. So as you can already tell, the game world is chock full of gaming, industry and hardware references.. the game even has it's own social network, called "Chirper". Go figure..

Anyway, moving on.. It's a Japanese RPG, created by Idea Factory, Published by Compile Heart and SEGA in Japan, NIS America in North America and Tecmo Koei in Europe. It has a typical "anime" look and feel to it, and story is told in a visual novel style, with accompanying Voice Acting. The gameplay itself is what sets it wildly apart from most traditional RPGs.. while it is a turn-based system of combat, it has free-roaming elements, giving you a specific area to move in and as much time as you like to plan an attack. The combat itself relies heavily on pulling off combos, which are limited by how much "AP", action points you have. There are key differences between the two current titles, and I assume, the upcoming sequel, but they are essentially the same base system.

The games were released (Suprisingly, given the amount of content) in dates a year apart.

Hyperdimension Neptunia: JP: August 2010, NA: February 2011
Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2: JP: August 2011, NA: February 2012
Hyperdimension Neptunia V: JP: August 2012

The first title was a more tame, PG rated experience, while the Sequel got an "M" due to, I assume, one of it's rather tragic endings (And there was some breast jiggling, but that can't be it...). I'm not sure of the sales figures to be honest, but it has been released in all major places in the world, heck, it even made it over here to Australia. Even so, it could be somewhat rare to find anywhere other than the net. Of course, it's region free anyway, being a PS3 game.

So uh.. now that I've explained what it is, can anyone say they've played it, or seen it at least? Maybe I've made you curious to try it out? Anyway-- this is my attempt at making a topic. I look forward to seeing some... decent, appropriate responses.

I personally love Mk2's opening.

--

Very recently in Japan a new sequel, "Kami Jigen Game Neptune V" (God Dimension Game Neptunia V would be a translation, Hyperdimension Neptunia V would be it's english name when it's localised) was released.

It has a 15+ rating and the same combat style as Mk2- i haven't had much of a chance to play it but it's got many improvements I'll speak about in another post.

jkid101094

I've actually wanted to play these games. I've been holding off on it though, because I haven't been in the mood. These are the RPGs with date-sim features, right?

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Tanassy

Quote from: jkid101094 on August 01, 2012, 12:48:32 PM
I've actually wanted to play these games. I've been holding off on it though, because I haven't been in the mood. These are the RPGs with date-sim features, right?

I wouldn't call it a datesim feature.. but the Lily rank system seems to form some kind of relationship between characters. It can affect the story, and teach your characters new partner abilities. But it's not really dating.
Nonetheless, fantastic games. I recommend the second one, at least, it's better than the first, and it's set in an alternate continuity-- basically, you don't need to know the story of the first game.

If you want to try it, it's not expensive. Not by my standard at least

jkid101094

Quote from: Iris Sapphire on August 01, 2012, 12:52:26 PM
I wouldn't call it a datesim feature.. but the Lily rank system seems to form some kind of relationship between characters. It can affect the story, and teach your characters new partner abilities. But it's not really dating.
Nonetheless, fantastic games. I recommend the second one, at least, it's better than the first, and it's set in an alternate continuity-- basically, you don't need to know the story of the first game.

Well I have Gamefly for that. I'll give it a shot. x3

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Tanassy

Mikey

Quote from: Iris Sapphire on August 01, 2012, 12:52:26 PM

So it's kind of like Mass Effect with it's loyalty thing?

Tanassy

Quote from: MikeyLevi on August 01, 2012, 02:03:19 PM
So it's kind of like Mass Effect with it's loyalty thing?

I haven't played Mass Effect, sorry ^^;

Hakudamashi

Well, since it's only $30.00 on PSN, I'll actually try it out ^_^
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tanassy

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tanassy

Quote from: windlessusher on August 16, 2012, 11:46:17 AM
It's been there for awhile now... I just never bothered to check it out.

The original or the sequel?

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tanassy

Quote from: windlessusher on August 16, 2012, 03:05:51 PM
Iv'e only seen the sequel, but I think both are on there...

Ah, okay. Well, they don't follow the same story, so you're probably better off playing the sequel. It's an overall better game ^^

jkid101094

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.