Do Exclusives Still Matter?

Started by Hakudamashi, February 09, 2013, 05:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hakudamashi

I think they do, without exclusives:
1.Why have rival console companies?
2.Why not just get a PC?
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

I think these days brand names hold up just as much. I know a few people that look at exclusives and other things like the price and what the system can do but I have just as many that'll buy the next Xbox just because it's an Xbox.

Also I saw this coming from you. =P

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

TheGameNinja

Without exclusives, there's no reason for there to be multiple consoles. As long as Nintendo is making consoles, their games will only be on their console. If no other console has exclusives, and the same games come out on all consoles, there's no reason to get someone else's console instead of Nintendo's. So, other consoles will need exclusive games. That's just the way it is.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Quote from: windlessusher on February 10, 2013, 04:30:10 PM
Am I to take offense?
No, I just see your likes and favorites all the time on my feed and a lot of it is IGN.

Post Merge: February 12, 2013, 12:30:44 AM

Quote from: TheGameNinja on February 09, 2013, 09:38:18 PM
Without exclusives, there's no reason for there to be multiple consoles. As long as Nintendo is making consoles, their games will only be on their console. If no other console has exclusives, and the same games come out on all consoles, there's no reason to get someone else's console instead of Nintendo's. So, other consoles will need exclusive games. That's just the way it is.
But TGN...

...the 360 has apps.

*slapped*

Post Merge: February 12, 2013, 12:41:06 AM

But seriously. Exclusives do not make a console these days. In the NES era? Sure. In the SNES era? Maybe, but as early as the debut of the PS1 that hasn't been the case. There were many reasons to buy a PS1 over a N64 back then and there are probably 1000 more reasons in the current gen.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: jkid101094 on February 11, 2013, 07:29:27 PM
But seriously. Exclusives do not make a console these days. In the NES era? Sure. In the SNES era? Maybe, but as early as the debut of the PS1 that hasn't been the case. There were many reasons to but a PS1 over a N64 back then and there are probably 1000 more reasons in the current gen.
You're gonna have to explain that to me..
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Quote from: windlessusher on February 11, 2013, 08:43:07 PM
You're gonna have to explain that to me..
Because assuming people only buy a system for exclusive games means assuming people only buy systems for games which isn't true at all anymore.

You walk into a Best Buy with $300 looking for a DVD player and you see a PS3 that can not only play Blue-Ray discs but use Netflix, play video games, browse the internet, play music and all this other shit and you generally won't be walking out with a DVD player.

To some people games are just a nice bonus, which helps Sony and Microsoft because they can pull in those crowds too with all their apps and other such things.

Exclusives still matter, yeah, but only to people who care about games and that simply isn't the only crowd these companies need to appeal to anymore.

And don't get me started on graphics whores because they by themselves are an entire group to appeal to.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

TheGameNinja

Quote from: jkid101094 on February 11, 2013, 09:39:25 PM
Because assuming people only buy a system for exclusive games assume people only buy systems for games which isn't true at all.

You walk into a Best Buy with $300 looking for a DVD player and you see a PS3 that can not only play Blue-Ray discs but use Netflix, play video games, browse the internet, play music and all this other shit and you generally won;t be walking out with a DVD player.

To some people games are just a nice bonus, which helps Sony and Microsoft because they can pull in those crowds too with all their apps and other such things.

Exclusives still matter, yeah, but only to people who care about games and that simply isn't the only crowd these companies need to appeal to anymore.

And don't get me started on graphics whores because they by themselves are an entire group to appeal to.

You may be right. I don't agree with it, but yeah. Game consoles seem to relegate games to a bonus feature these days, except for the Wii U.

jkid101094

Quote from: TheGameNinja on February 11, 2013, 09:43:30 PM
You may be right. I don't agree with it, but yeah. Game consoles seem to relegate games to a bonus feature these days, except for the Wii U.
Nintendo seems to be the only people these days that still treat gaming consoles as gaming consoles.

That's not exactly a good or bad thing but it helps and hurts them in more ways than one.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: jkid101094 on February 11, 2013, 09:39:25 PM
Because assuming people only buy a system for exclusive games assume people only buy systems for games which isn't true at all.

You walk into a Best Buy with $300 looking for a DVD player and you see a PS3 that can not only play Blue-Ray discs but use Netflix, play video games, browse the internet, play music and all this other shit and you generally won;t be walking out with a DVD player.

If that's the case, gimme a good reason to not just get a PC instead?

Cannot use Office or do programming or any actual work stuff on a console. And any money I would've spent on a console or DVD player, or blu-ray player or music player, or photo viewer, I could just use to upgrade the PC you get for your 13th birthday.

PC also has best web browser and has limitless input options. And especially with Steam's Big Picture Mode, the PC now has a game console UI.
As far as I can tell, by getting rid of exclusives, you're getting rid of the ONE thing consoles had over PCs, or Macs for that matter.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Quote from: windlessusher on February 11, 2013, 09:48:32 PM
If that's the case, gimme a good reason to not just get a PC instead?

Cannot use Office or do programming or any actual work stuff on a console. And any money I would've spent on a console or DVD player, or blu-ray player or music player, or photo viewer, I could just use to upgrade the PC you get for your 13th birthday.

PC also has best web browser and has limitless input options. And especially with Steam's Big Picture Mode, the PC now has a game console UI.
As far as I can tell, by getting rid of exclusives, you're getting rid of the ONE thing consoles had over PCs, or Macs for that matter.
Well for one most people (like me) simply prefer console gaming.

Also people don't seem to understand that PCs are fucking expensive. It costs a lot to buy a desktop computer, much less one that can play games at a decent speed. If you already have a computer for surfing the web that and other things then buying a console is simply cheaper. Most people also don't know how to upgrade a computer so paying someone to do it for you costs an arm and a leg and I need those for fondling people. *shot*

I also don't know where you get that everyone gets a PC for their 13th birthday but 9/10 people probably can't afford that either.

Besides, we're completely ignoring the crazy people that think Tablets are better than computers.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: jkid101094 on February 11, 2013, 09:58:06 PM
Well for one most people (like me) simply prefer console gaming.

Also people don't seem to understand that PCs are fucking expensive. It costs a lot to buy a desktop computer, much less one that can play games at a decent speed. If you already have a computer for surfing the web that and other things then buying a console is simply cheaper. Most people also don't know how to upgrade a computer so paying someone to do it for you costs an arm and a leg and I need those for fondling people. *shot*

I also don't know where you get that everyone gets a PC for their 13th birthday but 9/10 people probably can't afford that either.

Besides, we're completely ignoring the crazy people that think Tablets are better than computers.
Why do you prefer console gaming?

If you're going for the expensive brand name sh*t, then sure, it can be expensive, but for the most part I find a simple $300 laptop to do just fine, if you're having speed issues, turn down the settings, a quick google will tell you which settings to turn down, like resolution and whatnot
And a quick youtube search will deal with that. If you can homebrew your Wii or jailbreak an iPod, you can upgrade a PC/Laptop.

I assumed everyone has a PC by this generation since school kinda requires you to have one nowadays.

A tablet can be better than a computer, it all depends on what you're using it for.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Quote from: windlessusher on February 11, 2013, 10:18:16 PM
Why do you prefer console gaming?
The exclusives play a part, of course, but there's also the fact that keyboard controls don't work for every game.

Plus I'm just a Nintendo fanboy.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: jkid101094 on February 11, 2013, 10:41:44 PM
The exclusives play a part, of course, but there's also the fact that keyboard controls don't work for every game.

Plus I'm just a Nintendo fanboy.
The only PC games I recall that only use Keyboard and mouse are bioware games and mediocre low budget indie games...

Also f*ck yeah Nintendo.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Quote from: windlessusher on February 11, 2013, 10:47:27 PM
The only PC games I recall that only use Keyboard and mouse are bioware games and mediocre low budget indie games...
Even some games that support controls do so poorly.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.