Main Menu

Used Games

Started by Hakudamashi, May 29, 2013, 03:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hakudamashi

Discuss
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Yes & No.

I buy alot of Used Games - Old Games that i just can't simply get anymore nowdays physically here.
With the death of used games i would not be able to get those.

Ofcourse, there is digital... but i aint doin' that.
If its available i'll get it.

Not only that, but you're also making japan-imports even harder with this - since digital stuff is generally region locked.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on May 29, 2013, 04:10:41 AM
I buy alot of Used Games - Old Games that i just can't simply get anymore nowdays physically here.
With the death of used games i would not be able to get those.

Not only that, but you're also making japan-imports even harder with this - since digital stuff is generally region locked.
Yeah, they missed out on those 2 points.

Can I also say that  I would like to be able to give my game library to my children when I die or something?
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: windlessusher on May 29, 2013, 04:17:35 AM
Yeah, they missed out on those 2 points.

Can I also say that  I would like to be able to give my game library to my children when I die or something?

Well, in the future - you wouldnt.
And they'd all be worthless.

So buy a Dreamcast folks! It is the good-future of gaming!

NiGHTS

It's hard to say either way

If the used games market goes down then devs can easily monopolize and charge more for their products due to greed.

If it stays older multi player games that use servers are going to suffer and have their servers taken down etc etc.

If game devs wouldn't spend so much money on their games they wouldn't have this problem eg darksouls had a small budget and easily made its money back whereas most large budget game for example dead space 3 aren't making the money back and the devs haven't caught onto the fact that it is mostly their fault not the used game industries.

The idea of online passes is fine AS LONG AS it is only used for actual multiplayer games that use servers etc, unlike arkham asylum which cut out part of the actual story that is on the actual disk.

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: NiGHTS on May 29, 2013, 07:35:26 AM
It's hard to say either way

If the used games market goes down then devs can easily monopolize and charge more for their products due to greed.

If it stays older multi player games that use servers are going to suffer and have their servers taken down etc etc.

If game devs wouldn't spend so much money on their games they wouldn't have this problem eg darksouls had a small budget and easily made its money back whereas most large budget game for example dead space 3 aren't making the money back and the devs haven't caught onto the fact that it is mostly their fault not the used game industries.

The idea of online passes is fine AS LONG AS it is only used for actual multiplayer games that use servers etc, unlike arkham asylum which cut out part of the actual story that is on the actual disk.

arkham asylum what

i might add

New Copies Sales go down as well when used games stop existing since alot of people sell their used games to have money to buy a new game.

If we go that route, you better make games dirt cheap like with steam.

NiGHTS

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on May 29, 2013, 10:35:08 AM
arkham asylum what

i might add

New Copies Sales go down as well when used games stop existing since alot of people sell their used games to have money to buy a new game.

If we go that route, you better make games dirt cheap like with steam.

A friend told me that if you didn't have the online pass you couldn't play catwomans part of the story and the game just skipped it.

TheGameNinja

Quote from: NiGHTS on May 29, 2013, 12:19:36 PM
A friend told me that if you didn't have the online pass you couldn't play catwomans part of the story and the game just skipped it.

Yeah, it was something like that. If you didn't have it, you could buy it as DLC.

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: TheGameNinja on May 29, 2013, 01:10:35 PM
Yeah, it was something like that. If you didn't have it, you could buy it as DLC.

That wasn't an Online Pass, but same result.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: NiGHTS on May 29, 2013, 12:19:36 PM
That's Arkham City not Asylum

But it's really not f*cking worth it. Catwoman was soo tacked on and pointless it hurts...

Post Merge: May 31, 2013, 07:18:28 PM

Y'know, now that they mention it, I have personally felt the sting of not being able to share digital games...

I payed $15.00 for Street Fighter 3 Third Strike Online Edition, ended up not liking it, and never touched it again. I can't return it, I can't gift it to my PSN friends, I can't share/loan it to anyone who wants to try the game out before buying it themselves or something... It's just there, in my download list, doing nothing but taking up space, and I've lost $15.00 that I could've used on something else.

This inability to get rid of games you no longer want, to not be able to even loan it to someone for them to make an educated decision? Noone likes to waste money, even if it's $3.00...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

I dont sell my games (anymore anyway) since i want to build up a collection.
But on Steam, oh god on Steam...

Orion
Dino
Beatdown

Oh god why

Hakudamashi

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on May 31, 2013, 06:57:15 PM
I dont sell my games
But I'm also talking about the ability to loan/share them at all, or even just gift it to a friend who'll have more fun with it than you did...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Now...

DRM Roundup

PS4

The PS4 does not need to be connected to the Internet by standard.
BUT the Option IS built-in if there are publishers who decide they want their game to be always-online!
Also, Sony has not replied to any questions about used-games fee- swishing them off with a "we do not have information at this time."

Xbox One

Xbox One, however, needs to be connected at least once during a 24-hour period.

You will be able to loan your Xbox One games to your friends, but only once and only to friends you've known for more than a month. (They have to be in your friends list for over 30 days)

All games will be available new in both disc or digital form, and will need to be installed on your Xbox One while logged in. From there, you'll be registered for the game on the cloud, so you'll be able to play it wherever you're logged into an Xbox One, even if you happen to be at a friend's house.

You will have the option to resell that game back to a retailer, but that retailer will have to sign up with Microsoft to allow you to do so. Microsoft won't charge fees to do that, but it does say that "third party publishers may opt in or out of supporting game resale and may set up business terms or transfer fees with retailers." You can also give the game away, but only once and only to someone who's been on your friends list for that required 30 days.

Wii U

Hakudamashi

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on June 06, 2013, 06:22:29 PM
PS4

BUT the Option IS built-in if there are publishers who decide they want their game to be always-online!
Also, Sony has not replied to any questions about used-games fee- swishing them off with a "we do not have information at this time."
Looks like we'll all be getting Wii U...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

SmashFinale

Exactly what i was thinking Wind...