Main Menu

I'm Pissy Again.

Started by Hakudamashi, July 17, 2013, 09:18:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hakudamashi

I'm pissy cause over the past few months of living on my own, I've come to a serious disagreement with the way of thinking of the modern gaming industry...That disagreement being over how a game/franchise is decided to be a success or a failure.

I personally am not comfortable when the first week/first day/first month sales are used to decide whether a game is good or not. I mean, there are soo many factors that can stop even the most die-hard of fans from supporting their favourite game day 1, like maybe their boss didn't pay them on pay day? Or their store couldn't get it stocked on launch day? Maybe the only copies he could find were used ones? And what about those who are against online shopping for whatever reason?

Like, what if there are 2 games being released at the same time, both of which you love very much, but you only have enough money to get one of them at that time. One might think "Oh, I'll just get this one now, and get the other on my next pay day", but just because who knows how many people decided to make the same decision, that other game you like didn't sell _____ within the first week or whatever, gets scrutinized as a failure as a result, "critics" making up reasons why it didn't sell, the team gets disbanded, bankrupcy, layoffs, blame this, blame that etc. So now when you now do have the money to get that 2nd game, you look at it and wonder if it's worth it now knowing it'll probably end on some cliff-hanger since no more will be produced...

I guess what I think I'm saying is that life for most people is hectic and unpredictable, there are way too many things that can happen to people to hinder them from buying more than one video game a month, if at all. Can't they more focus on how a game sells over the course of a year? or at least a 6 month period? Or something? I dunno

I just don't like how nowadays, video games seem like "The Rich Kid's Club" or something...
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

KPOPSTAR

I HATE HOW VIDYA GAMES ARE UBER EXPENSIVE THESE DAYS T^T

shadowDOESrock

No - unless you produce more games with a cheaper budget in a shorter time period.

And yes, gaming is an expensive hobby.

Tanassy

Games cost thousands to millions of dollars to make.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on July 20, 2013, 04:34:10 AM
No - unless you produce more games with a cheaper budget in a shorter time period.
Hmmm, what's the worst case scenario if people were to cut down on development costs?
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tanassy

Poor production value, less assets, shorter games, buggier games.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Iris Sapphire on July 20, 2013, 04:54:35 AM
Poor production value, less assets, shorter games, buggier games.
All those things happen even with big budgets...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Ye Olde Swagfag

Quote from: KPOPSTAR on July 17, 2013, 12:47:21 PM
I HATE HOW VIDYA GAMES ARE UBER EXPENSIVE THESE DAYS T^T
Could be worse. Back in 1990 when the Sega Genesis was brought to America, you'd be paying about $60 for just ONE game.

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: Hakudamashi on July 20, 2013, 05:42:57 AM
All those things happen even with big budgets...

That would be called missmanagement.

Hakudamashi

Isn't mismanagement just a thing that happens with business regardless of their budget?
They're still people prone to mistakes...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tanassy

Quote from: Hakudamashi on July 21, 2013, 09:51:02 AM
Isn't mismanagement just a thing that happens with business regardless of their budget?
They're still people prone to mistakes...

....exactly?

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Iris Sapphire on July 21, 2013, 10:10:22 AM
....exactly?
It's just that, with the way that we're dealing with game sales right now, even the best of games are being seen as failures. There has to be a better way.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: Hakudamashi on July 21, 2013, 11:31:47 AM
It's just that, with the way that we're dealing with game sales right now, even the best of games are being seen as failures. There has to be a better way.

Yeah - by changing how the world's economy works.

Hakudamashi

Well, how about a more immediate solution? Like, why not take the Wii/Wii U approach and make "inferior" games with lots of replayability, so that all the money they would've spent on expensive fluff can be used on marketing and budgeting the next project?

Of course that would involve changing the way modern gamers think...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: Hakudamashi on July 21, 2013, 01:17:56 PM
Well, how about a more immediate solution? Like, why not take the Wii/Wii U approach and make "inferior" games with lots of replayability, so that all the money they would've spent on expensive fluff can be used on marketing and budgeting the next project?

Of course that would involve changing the way modern gamers think...

Thats what the downloadable $15 category is there for.