City of Heroes

Started by jkid101094, October 23, 2010, 11:23:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkid101094

I hear it has one of the best character creation modes in any MMO EVER. And as we should all know by now, I love games like that. LOVE, LOVE, LOOOOVVVVVEEEE. I bought Diddy Kong Racing for nothing but the track editor...I was disappointed, but that's besides the point. Now, what I'm wondering, is if our veteran here *cough*gleech*cough* could help me decide if I should try it out. I wanna be able to play a game as Seth without much effort...sooo...yeah. I have a few questions:

1. How good is it really? I hear there's A LOT of options.
2. Can we do anime (big eyed) or only regular people?
3. How many can I make?
4. I hear there's a mission creator or something like that...elaborate?
5. Do you have a buy shirts and stuff for your char and do they influence their stats like in most MMORPGs?

Yes...I'm too lazy to go to wikipedia. xD

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Gleech

Quote from: jkid101094 on October 23, 2010, 11:23:27 AM
I hear it has one of the best character creation modes in any MMO EVER. And as we should all know by now, I love games like that. LOVE, LOVE, LOOOOVVVVVEEEE. I bought Diddy Kong Racing for nothing but the track editor...I was disappointed, but that's besides the point. Now, what I'm wondering, is if our veteran here *cough*gleech*cough* could help me decide if I should try it out. I wanna be able to play a game as Seth without much effort...sooo...yeah. I have a few questions:

1. How good is it really? I hear there's A LOT of options.
2. Can we do anime (big eyed) or only regular people?
3. How many can I make?
4. I hear there's a mission creator or something like that...elaborate?
5. Do you have a buy shirts and stuff for your char and do they influence their stats like in most MMORPGs?

Yes...I'm too lazy to go to wikipedia. xD
Since I'm the only person on the site that plays it,

1. REALLY good, like, AMAZING.

• You can choose from multiple archetypes (Kinda like classes) which each have seperate specialties and powersets available.
  • An origin is also picked, e.g. Science, if your character was (Story-wise) created by a science experiment, or mutation if they are a mutant, magic if they have magic origins...
  • Each powerset has multiple powers you're able to choose from, if not (About) 10 per powerset.
  • You also get to pick a secondary powerset.
  • After that you get to customizing the build (And I dont mean stats build) of your character.
  • Then it's on to customizing your appearance, which could take up to 3 hours if you really get into it. (This is an example of my fast work)

Each of those (Excluding "Costume sets") have sub categories, and some of the parts you can pick even have sub categories, and a lot of costume parts have designs which you can put on them. So basically there's like, a 1 in a million (if not more) chance you'll find someone exactly like your character. Also, the reason I have a "Weapon" section is because my primary power set is "Assault Rifle".
  • After that, you're off to coloring your powers, if you can/want to, that is.
  • Then finally you're on to the 'registration' section, where you pick a name, write a story (If you want), put in a battle cry... AND BOOM! You're off to enter the world of crime fighting, or off to create chaos in the Rogue Isles (City of Villains).
2. Sadly, no. Although the GENERAL appearance customization may be AMAZING, features like faces CURRENTLY arent customizable. (Note I said CURRENTLY)
3. Each server comes already with about 12 open slots, and there are 11 servers total.

4. Yes, for people who pay monthly, Architect Entertainment is available to them, which allows you to create custom missions in game that other members are able to play.
5. You can buy (With real money) packs that have special costume parts in them, which aren't needed for gameplay (Unless you count Going Rogue, since that opens Praetoria to players who buy it. But that's an expansion, not a booster). But they give no stats. And to further answer your question: No. Costumes don't effect stats, they're purely cosmetic.

Hope that answers your questions. The free trial comes with the Going Rogue expansion pack, too, last I checked. Some of the items you'll be able to use might not be there without buying the GR expansion, but thats only a few out of the millions of choices.

My only complaints are:
Lack of face editing (Sometimes)
Lack of normal hairstyles for guys (I can settle for some of the hairs they have, like "Barbaric", but they need some casual messy hairstyles.)
And lack of real time weather effects.
Lack of some (Very few) powersets (Remind me, NCsoft, why are there no water powersets (Other than Mako's patron powerpool)?)
Costs $15 a month. (>_<!)

Other than that the game is amazing.

Quote from: SonicFan47 on December 16, 2008, 08:00:41 PM
I don't care in the Ryan/Jason debate. I can't tell the difference
but I favor JALEEL WHITE!

jkid101094

It does look really good, and I can deal without the face customization. :3
How long does the free trial last? As I said. I've always wanted to play a game as Seth and the lead spriter for our game is taken a long while. xD
But looks good, if the DL is quick and the trail lasts awhile I'm all set! ^^

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Gleech

Quote from: jkid101094 on October 23, 2010, 12:12:23 PM
It does look really good, and I can deal without the face customization. :3
How long does the free trial last? As I said. I've always wanted to play a game as Seth and the lead spriter for our game is taken a long while. xD
But looks good, if the DL is quick and the trail lasts awhile I'm all set! ^^
Trial is 7 days... sadly the patcher sucks on some computers. It takes a LONG time... T_____T If there was a way I could help, I would...

It really depends how fast your connection is, my connection is like, 130 Kb/sec, so it takes a LONG time to patch it when I first install it.

It's like, a 3.9 GB patch... T_T LUCKILY thats the whole game, its not like, "LOL THE INSTALLATION IS 6 GB, AND THE PATCH IS 50 GB..." The patcher installs the game, really. The .Pigg files are needed to play, and are basically ALL the internal files.
I can see if compressing them would make it at least a BIT shorter, if not then idk...

Now before Wind gets on here and is like, "That's stupid," I'd like to say something...

Would you rather have a 3 hour download just to get the installer, and a 30 minute patch?
or a 15 minute download, and a 3 hour download to get the game patched?

This may seem stupid at first, but really its smart. Thinking about it, the .piggs that are being sent to your computer are already UPDATED, you wont have to wait 3 hours to download an really non-updated installer, and then sit there patching for about an hour.

jkid101094

Daww, short trial is short. >.<
I wish it was longer, seems pretty fulfilling to dl it and wait 3 hours for such a short trail, especially when I wouldn't be able to play on any days but weekends. >.<

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Gleech

Quote from: jkid101094 on October 23, 2010, 12:28:47 PM
Daww, short trial is short. >.<
I wish it was longer, seems pretty fulfilling to dl it and wait 3 hours for such a short trail, especially when I wouldn't be able to play on any days but weekends. >.<
Well, it USE to be 14 days, but I believe since they added Going Rogue to the trial, they made it shorter...

jkid101094

Quote from: Gleech on October 23, 2010, 12:43:57 PM
Well, it USE to be 14 days, but I believe since they added Going Rogue to the trial, they made it shorter...
Darnit. >.<
They still sees like a bit of a jip, though. >.<
I'll try another game. Thanks anyway, Gleech.
+1

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Gleech

Quote from: jkid101094 on October 23, 2010, 12:50:13 PM
Darnit. >.<
They still sees like a bit of a jip, though. >.<
I'll try another game. Thanks anyway, Gleech.
+1
Np, man. You should give it a shot next summer or so. You know, when you have time. You might like it enough to buy it ;)

jkid101094

Quote from: Gleech on October 23, 2010, 02:18:37 PM
Np, man. You should give it a shot next summer or so. You know, when you have time. You might like it enough to buy it ;)
I just might. Like I said, good creation options are enough to sell me out. xD
Edit: I bought my PS3 just for LBP. And I bought LBP because...just look at it. xDD

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.