So, I Came Up With A New Game Idea...Now I Have A Question For You...

Started by jkid101094, December 31, 2011, 06:39:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkid101094

I had a strange dream last night and, like all my strange dreams, it gave me a game idea that I think could be neat. Basically in the game a child (boy or girl depending on preference) finds a scythe. This scythe can grant almost any wish and has the power to smite almost any foe. Sounds terrible on paper but if the game allowed a "chose your own path"-esque storyline I feel it could be neat. But, anyway, I want to ask you guys a question. Imagine you are the kid who finds the scythe. What are you going to do with it? To get you more into the role of the child here are some little tidbits about the weapon:

1. The scythe will warp to a different location after 24 hours have passed. This location could be one step away or galaxies away. It is predetermined and cannot by altered. I.E. You can't wish to have the scythe warp to your house or somewhere near you after the 24 hour period and wishing for a radar or tracking device will most likely be useless. You also cannot get rid of the time limit.

2. You can't wish for someone to die. The scythe will allow you to use magic if you so desire but it will not kill for you. Any deaths as a result of using the scythe will be by your own hand and as a result you will suffer all the consequences. You may however use the scythe to kill. I.E. If I wanted to kill Tana I couldn't wish for Tana to die Death Note style, but I could wish to warp to his house so that I could kill him myself.

3. Any overly selfish wishes will disappear along with the scythe after the 24 hours. I.E. You can, by all means, turn yourself into a demon God and attempt to wipe out civilization, but at the end of the 24 hours you will revert back to human form and be vulnerable to anyone that may want you dead. The only exceptions to this rule are wishes involving changing yourself mentally such as making yourself smarter or getting rid of a trait you have that you can't stand.

4. The scythe takes all your wishes literally. If you wish for a heart you will get one psychically. If you wish you could fly you will be tossed through the air. If you wish you were cooler you would turn into ice. Stuff like that.

5. Wishes cannot be made by anyone else while you hold the scythe. You must make wishes for them if you feel the need to do so.

I believe that's it. I thank you for reading this and tell me what you think of the idea. =P

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hyper Shadow 00

Hmmmm.... What would i do...

Idk i'd prolly wish for all of humanity's stupidity to be wiped clean from the face of the earth
Mew is awesome

jkid101094

Quote from: Hyper Shadow 00 on December 31, 2011, 07:15:41 AM
Hmmmm.... What would i do...

Idk i'd prolly wish for all of humanity's stupidity to be wiped clean from the face of the earth
And then your wish erases humanity from existence.
That's the kind of thing you have to watch out for. =P

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hyper Shadow 00

lemme clarify, by wishing humanity's stupidity to be erased from existance i mean their stupid condition, therefore making them all smart
Mew is awesome

jkid101094

Quote from: Hyper Shadow 00 on December 31, 2011, 07:25:22 AM
lemme clarify, by wishing humanity's stupidity to be erased from existance i mean their stupid condition, therefore making them all smart
You wouldn't have time to clarify. You would no longer exist. =P

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Supersonic196

Quote from: jkid101094 on December 31, 2011, 06:39:05 AM
4. The scythe takes all your wishes literally. If you wish for a heart you will get one psychically. If you wish you could fly you will be tossed through the air. If you wish you were cooler you would turn into ice. Stuff like that.
Sounds a bit like the monkeys paw.

I think it would make an amazing anime, but as a game this would be quite difficult to pull off, especially with the wishes, you have no idea how many frames and events you would have to code in order to get this thing off the ground. Still, if this were to be made into a game, I think it could be a very successful RPG, deeper than any other ever made.

jkid101094

Quote from: supersonic196 on December 31, 2011, 07:27:23 AM
Sounds a bit like the monkeys paw.

I think it would make an amazing anime, but as a game this would be quite difficult to pull off, especially with the wishes, you have no idea how many frames and events you would have to code in order to get this thing off the ground. Still, if this were to be made into a game, I think it could be a very successful RPG, deeper than any other ever made.
You're right, but I was thinking more so Calypso from Twisted Metal when I was writing that. He's basically the paws living equivalent.

And you're right again, it would take a good while, no doubt, but it could work if they were given via text options. It would be limiting, but you can't let the player have so much freedom they feel overwhelmed.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hyper Shadow 00

Quote from: jkid101094 on December 31, 2011, 07:26:25 AM
You wouldn't have time to clarify. You would no longer exist. =P

Callin me stupid? >:U and this game would be epic to pull off.... GO FOR IT JKID GO GO GO I HAVE FAITH IN U
Mew is awesome

Princessofthechaosemerald

Quote from: supersonic196 on December 31, 2011, 07:27:23 AM

It would make both a great anime and RPG. o3o Though, yeah, to make it an rpg it would take a great deal of time and focus.

I'd both play the game and watch the anime xDD

If I were to wish something...hmmm...I might wish to live somewhere else for a day? Can I do that?

jkid101094

Quote from: Maddie8D on December 31, 2011, 09:37:55 AM
It would make both a great anime and RPG. o3o Though, yeah, to make it an rpg it would take a great deal of time and focus.

I'd both play the game and watch the anime xDD

If I were to wish something...hmmm...I might wish to live somewhere else for a day? Can I do that?
I don't see why not. But if you just say somewhere you might end up in a void.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

I think it is a terrible idea for a game.

The game mechanic of having an object that allows you to do almost anything is incredibly game breaking. This would overwhelm the player and cause most players to just taking the most direct option of killing whatever main bad guy the game has. Some of the restrictions you have set up are also a bit ambiguous. How would the player know what an overly selfish wish would be? With supposedly an infinite amount of options in this game, it would be hard to know. Either way, I doubt it would take more than 24 hours to turn yourself into a macho demon man to kill whatever enemy you have. Also this act of finding the scythe when it could be galaxies away is pretty dumb. How are you supposed to progress in the game if the scythe is in an area that is unreachable? I doubt NASA would just loan you a spaceship. And that's not even mentioning the programming nightmare of coding every single possible option the player may want to take. This is a game bigger than anything else out there.

As others have said though it might make a good story in some other format, but even then it still has it's problems.

Keep dreaming.

Supersonic196

Quote from: Elija2 on December 31, 2011, 02:20:40 PM
I think it is a terrible idea for a game.

The game mechanic of having an object that allows you to do almost anything is incredibly game breaking. This would overwhelm the player and cause most players to just taking the most direct option of killing whatever main bad guy the game has. Some of the restrictions you have set up are also a bit ambiguous. How would the player know what an overly selfish wish would be? With supposedly an infinite amount of options in this game, it would be hard to know. Either way, I doubt it would take more than 24 hours to turn yourself into a macho demon man to kill whatever enemy you have. Also this act of finding the scythe when it could be galaxies away is pretty dumb. How are you supposed to progress in the game if the scythe is in an area that is unreachable? I doubt NASA would just loan you a spaceship. And that's not even mentioning the programming nightmare of coding every single possible option the player may want to take. This is a game bigger than anything else out there.

Quote from: jkid101094 on December 31, 2011, 07:31:18 AM
it could work if they were given via text options. It would be limiting, but you can't let the player have so much freedom they feel overwhelmed.

:I

Also a player can determine an overly selfish wish by growing a few brain cells and putting their own needs aside.
A game like this would be marketed at people with the ability to think about the needs of others rather than having the world revolve around them at all times.

Perhaps a series of choices could be given on tiers, Good, Neutral, and Evil.
the amount of tiers could range from 3, to however many would be needed, such as Semi-Evil ect. ect.

jkid101094

Eli is a troll. I only read his posts for lulz now because I'm so used to him making me look like a dumbass.

Quote from: supersonic196 on December 31, 2011, 03:00:47 PM
Also a player can determine an overly selfish wish by growing a few brain cells and putting their own needs aside.
A game like this would be marketed at people with the ability to think about the needs of others rather than having the world revolve around them at all times.
This, pretty much.

Quote from: supersonic196 on December 31, 2011, 03:00:47 PM
Perhaps a series of choices could be given on tiers, Good, Neutral, and Evil.
the amount of tiers could range from 3, to however many would be needed, such as Semi-Evil ect. ect.
When Tana for told me me about Infamous it sounded amazing. A game where you would be forced to make quick, game changing decisions and have the entire game alter based on them...then I found out every choice was labeled either good or evil and it shot the thing to hell. I was expecting deep gameplay, not, "this choice is bad and this one is good. Are you a hero or a villain?" I'm not four. What's good and evil should be for me to decide, not the game. If I were to make a game like this I'd want the choices to be deeper to the point that actually provoked some thought from the player. Not be told by the game what the consequences are to obvious choices.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Quote from: jkid101094 on December 31, 2011, 03:16:21 PM
Eli is a troll. I only read his posts for lulz now because I'm so used to him making me look like a dumbass.

I wasn't trolling, it just doesn't take much to make you look stupid.

My points are still valid.

jkid101094

Quote from: Elija2 on December 31, 2011, 03:25:27 PM
I wasn't trolling, it just doesn't take much to make you look stupid.

My points are still valid.
You obviously don't get it. Obviously the scythe would be found at the beginning regardless. The player might feel overwhelmed at first but as he/she played through and unlocked more ending he/she would feel more comfortable. The choices would be limited by text commands. Simply put the character would be able to make any wish but the player would only be able to access actions that applied to the situation. Several paths could even lead into each other like in Shadow the Hedgehog so that a little less worked is required by the programmers.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.