Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft...and Ouya?

Started by jkid101094, July 10, 2012, 05:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkid101094

Pretty much a console for downloadable Indie Games. Minecraft is already on the systems lineup and the system will be open source. This means someone like you, yes you, you Cheeto fingered basement dweller, could write a game in Java with no prior game development knowledge, have it make millions and not have to pay a cent in licensing fees or devkits.

The system is designed to take the price and risk out of console development. Did you know that a Nintendo 3DS devkit costs $4000 if you want a debugger and you have to have a Nintendo licensed publisher? Neither did I.

The new console will apparently sell for $99. A huge price difference between it and the $300 Wii U. There will be no discs or disc reader as all games will be purchased online and all games developed to be sold are required to have free to play demos.

The project on Kickstarted aimed to reach $1.000.000 in donations...and hit it's goal in half a day. Holy fucking shit.

Here are the current specs:

Tegra3 quad-core processor
1GB RAM
8GB of internal flash storage
HDMI connection to the TV, with support for up to 1080p HD
WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth LE 4.0
USB 2.0 (one)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

The only downside to this is what happens when the servers go down...
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Quote from: windlessusher on July 10, 2012, 07:02:01 PM
The only downside to this is what happens when the servers go down...
You download games so you can play them offline, I think.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: jkid101094 on July 10, 2012, 07:03:52 PM
You download games so you can play them offline, I think.
Now the only downside is that Sony and Nintendo exclusives... are still exclusive... but if I get $399.00 richer...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Quote from: windlessusher on July 10, 2012, 07:06:21 PM
Now the only downside is that Sony and Nintendo exclusives... are still exclusive... but if I get $399.00 richer...
I'm worried that companies like SEGA will leave bigger companies for the Ouya since it's cheaper.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: jkid101094 on July 10, 2012, 07:09:01 PM
I'm worried that companies like SEGA will leave bigger companies for the Ouya since it's cheaper.
Well they're kinda bankrupt so it would be the wiser decision... to our displeasure.

Not to mention guys like Team Bondi, Big Huge Games, and Radical Entertainment...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

TailsLover2010

so basically, if I learned Java, and made an actually good game, I could just set it on the market and make millions?

Genius. Also, hacking.
-No advertising in signature, please.

Elija2

Ouya is not gonna take off like the other 3 major systems and here are 3 reasons why:

1. Ouya is Android-based and therefore will be playing Android games. Ouya won't be getting GTA5 or the next Elder Scrolls. Sure there are some great Android games, but why would you want to play them on your TV when you can just play them on your phone? Yeah there are emulators but Android emulators don't work as well as PC emulators.

2. Android games are meant for portable touch screen devices, not physical controllers. Look at the games that they showed in the video. Canabalt is a one-button game. Triple Town is a puzzle game that works great on touch screens. Who the heck is gonna turn on their console to play these games when they can just go for a quick round on their phone? Shadowgun and Dead Trigger would work, but those are generic shooters anyway (and Samurai 2: Vengeance is a generic hack-and-slash). And everyone who is anyone already owns Minecraft on PC.

3. Ouya is a horrible name.

TailsLover2010

Quote from: Elija2 on July 15, 2012, 03:32:07 PM
Counter-points

shit he's right

but 1

its OS is Android.
if you know, kinda went in it and beefed it up a bit, it could run GTA5 and the next Elder Scrolls

the rest  is pretty much right.

but still, you can make millions by just putting a game on here, if you know, its actually good.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Quote from: Elija2 on July 15, 2012, 03:32:07 PM
Ouya is not gonna take off like the other 3 major systems and here are 3 reasons why:

1. Ouya is Android-based and therefore will be playing Android games. Ouya won't be getting GTA5 or the next Elder Scrolls. Sure there are some great Android games, but why would you want to play them on your TV when you can just play them on your phone? Yeah there are emulators but Android emulators don't work as well as PC emulators.

2. Android games are meant for portable touch screen devices, not physical controllers. Look at the games that they showed in the video. Canabalt is a one-button game. Triple Town is a puzzle game that works great on touch screens. Who the heck is gonna turn on their console to play these games when they can just go for a quick round on their phone? Shadowgun and Dead Trigger would work, but those are generic shooters anyway (and Samurai 2: Vengeance is a generic hack-and-slash). And everyone who is anyone already owns Minecraft on PC.

3. Ouya is a horrible name.
I would assume their hope is that if they begin with Android games that they'll be able to keep customers interested until devs in the making give them a big title to push their system with. It may not be the next Skyrim but it could be the next Limbo or Braid and lord knows keyboard controls DO NOT do those games justice.

It might not take off against Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft but it isn't supposed to. It's an indie-machine designed for devs in the making and people who enjoy things like Steam. It's cheap price might actually make it the best choice for parents who just want the budget system for their kids, as well.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Quote from: jkid101094 on July 16, 2012, 07:26:23 AM
I would assume their hope is that if they begin with Android games that they'll be able to keep customers interested until devs in the making give them a big title to push their system with. It may not be the next Skyrim but it could be the next Limbo or Braid and lord knows keyboard controls DO NOT do those games justice.

It might not take off against Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft but it isn't supposed to. It's an indie-machine designed for devs in the making and people who enjoy things like Steam. It's cheap price might actually make it the best choice for parents who just want the budget system for their kids, as well.

Indie devs already have PC. It allows them to target a larger market since everyone has one and it offers the same customization as an Android-based console would. And services like Steam already provide an online framework for them. You can use controllers for PC as well. And Ouya isn't even as powerful as most gaming PCs nowadays because it's using hardware that's meant for portable devices. There is absolutely no good reason for devs to develop for this thing.

TailsLover2010

Quote from: Elija2 on July 16, 2012, 07:38:41 AM
Indie devs already have PC. It allows them to target a larger market since everyone has one and it offers the same customization as an Android-based console would. And services like Steam already provide an online framework for them. You can use controllers for PC as well. And Ouya isn't even as powerful as most gaming PCs nowadays because it's using hardware that's meant for portable devices. There is absolutely no good reason for devs to develop for this thing.

THEY WANT TO MOVE INDIE GAMES TO THE TELEVISON OMG!!!!!!!!!

Hakudamashi

Quote from: TailsLover2010 on July 16, 2012, 08:56:10 AM
THEY WANT TO MOVE INDIE GAMES TO THE TELEVISON OMG!!!!!!!!!

You can hook up your laptop to your TV using an HDMI cable...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

TailsLover2010

Quote from: windlessusher on July 24, 2012, 05:26:31 AM
You can hook up your laptop to your TV using an HDMI cable...

WITHOUT THE GAY ASS KEYBOARD CONTROLS OMG!!!!!