Where'd All This Hate Come From?

Started by Hakudamashi, December 19, 2012, 10:45:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hakudamashi

If I'm remembering correctly, a few years ago, back when nerd culture(everything that isn't sports) was pretty much exclusive to the socially unstable, there wasn't this much hate on the internet was there?

I mean, when I was growing up, the reason I got soo into video games and comics and stuff(other than Sonic being awesome) was because the only people who I found comfortable to talk were the "geeks" who were also into all this cool stuff. I remember that all the "normal kids" in my childhood made fun of us and treated us like lesser humans cause we were into these things, and the cool thing to do was to gossip about sh*t.

Like, wasn't one of the main attractions of nerd culture was because of just how inviting the community was? There was no bullying and excessive harsh language cause we were all "outcasts" and everyone wanted that place to go to when life was a being a bitch...At least for me.

So like, why is it now that all the "cool kids" and celebrities have an interest in these things? And is it just a coincidence that all this hate in our video games spiked when they reached the mainstream?

What are your thoughts people?
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Super Sonic Boom

It's a trend, one person likes it and if they like that person then they follow their likes.
And thus fanboys and gals are formed.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Chris Silvano on December 19, 2012, 11:14:32 AM
It's a trend, one person likes it and if they like that person then they follow their likes.
And thus fanboys and gals are formed.
No, we had fanboys back in the day too like the  whole Nintendo vs. SEGA thing, but I don't recall them escalating to the lengths we see these days.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: windlessusher on December 19, 2012, 11:17:27 AM
No, we had fanboys back in the day too like the  whole Nintendo vs. SEGA thing, but I don't recall them escalating to the lengths we see these days.

Thats because there was no internet, and people are generally less vulgar too earch other IRL.
On the Internet you are merely a mask, you can do whatever the fuck you want.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on December 19, 2012, 11:46:21 AM
Thats because there was no internet, and people are generally less vulgar too earch other IRL.
On the Internet you are merely a mask, you can do whatever the fuck you want.
I don't think that's entirely the reason. Cause why in a community like this one(more so a few years/months ago) the angry are the minority, but generally, the hate gets be loud, proud and heard everywhere?
No, I don't believe that just because of the anonymousity of the internet is the cause of all this hate.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

TheGameNinja

Maybe because, back then, the only other geeks you knew were in person. And you didn't want to risk alienating the only people that accepted you. Now, online, there's a near infinite amount of people you can talk to about anything you like, so you can easily tear into someone without risking losing the only social interaction you have access to.

Also, GIFT.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: TheGameNinja on December 19, 2012, 12:03:03 PM
Now, online, there's a near infinite amount of people you can talk to about anything you like, so you can easily tear into someone without risking losing the only social interaction you have access to.
You'd think that now we have the means to talk to whoever we want, we'd use it to talk to people who like the same things we do... Why purposefully go to something you don't like just to hate on it? You need to vent? How about you vent to your friends? You don't have friends? There are millions of people and tons of social media ranging from PSN and Steam to simple Youtube comments, if you can't find even 1 person to talk to comfortably, then your parents f*cked up somewhere...

And it all comes back to parenting...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

SmashFinale

Not everyone is perfectly able bodied to be a parent Wind. The responsibility and pressure can be in the extremes at times and well sometimes someone needs to be lashed out on. So people just think, "why not lash out on something i generally don't like?" It's easier to bash something you can never actually get in trouble for instead of potentially shooting yourself in the foot by doing something that could generally land you in the lion's den.

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: SmashFinale on December 24, 2012, 02:45:48 PM
Not everyone is perfectly able bodied to be a parent Wind.

Those should think about becoming Parents before they fuck each others brains out without condoms.

jkid101094

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on December 25, 2012, 01:13:02 AM
Those should think about becoming Parents before they fuck each others brains out without condoms.
What if the condom breaks?

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

shadowDOESrock

jkid101094

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: jkid101094 on December 25, 2012, 09:07:11 AM
But abortion is murder.

*shot*

Either way, people should plan the shit and not point the issue towards other people.
If you cant deal with children, give them up to adoption and dont force them into a shit childhood where they will become the same asshats as their parents.

If you know it from the get go, take the pill or condom and abort if you have to.

NiGHTS

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on December 25, 2012, 10:13:22 AM
Either way, people should plan the shit and not point the issue towards other people.
If you cant deal with children, give them up to adoption and dont force them into a shit childhood where they will become the same asshats as their parents.

If you know it from the get go, take the pill or condom and abort if you have to.

Kyo-cat, as much sense as this makes to the likes of us who don't have children, or aren't expecting that think this kind of issue is clear cut. However, for some people this topic is a massive grey area filled with "what if's."

At some points it is a sense of morality; do you see abortion as murder? (que pro-life vs pro-choice arguements)
It is also a known fact that most mothers get attached to the child in the womb which makes it difficult for them to give it up.

Of course we are all different and would most likely react differently if we were in the given situation rather than just commenting on a forum.

jkid101094

In my defense I can say what I say knowing that one of my siblings were aborted.

I don't know how we got here from nerd rage, though. I should probably split the topic.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.