SteamBox to not support Motion Controls?

Started by Hakudamashi, January 13, 2013, 01:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hakudamashi

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/09/what-is-valves-steam-box
"Motion just seems to be a way of [thinking] of your body as a set of communication channels. Your hands, and your wrist muscles, and your fingers are actually your highest bandwidth -- so to try and talk to a game with your arms is essentially saying 'oh we're gonna stop using ethernet and go back to 300 baud dial-up.'"

Gabe Newell, I think you're a genius, but I think saying no to motion controls completely is a bad move. It kinda prevents indie developers for this steam box to find any innovative use to actually use the motion controls...

I guess my dream of using a simple shake to throw grenades while using LT to sprint will forever be a dream...
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Well, the SteamBox isnt really a console...

Its a PC optimized for Steam.

Hakudamashi

Regardless, I disagree with the non-support of motion controls.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

TheGameNinja

Would it not theoretically be possible for individual games to support motion controls through third party peripherals?

jkid101094

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: TheGameNinja on January 13, 2013, 05:01:03 PM
Would it not theoretically be possible for individual games to support motion controls through third party peripherals?
Unless they make a compatible usb gamepad with an accelerometer I guess...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

TheGameNinja

Quote from: windlessusher on January 13, 2013, 06:24:47 PM
Unless they make a compatible usb gamepad with an accelerometer I guess...

Don't iPods and iPads have those? And the Wii U controller? It may not be official, but I'm sure someone could do something with that.

Elija2

If indie devs want to mess with motion controls, they can do so on the Wii U. But really, how many unique innovative motion control ideas that actually enhance gameplay are there left?

Quote from: windlessusher on January 13, 2013, 01:56:28 PM
I guess my dream of using a simple shake to throw grenades while using LT to sprint will forever be a dream...

Shaking to throw grenades is a terrible idea. Trying to scratch your back while in the middle of an online game could lead to you blowing up your teammates.

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: Elija2 on January 13, 2013, 07:19:45 PM
If indie devs want to mess with motion controls, they can do so on the Wii U. But really, how many unique innovative motion control ideas that actually enhance gameplay are there left?

Well, Sony made a patent recently...

jkid101094

Because I want to do this, much less have the room to do so, in my living room.

It's a good thing Sony rarely follows through with patents.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on January 14, 2013, 12:48:50 AM
Well, Sony made a patent recently...

Can't wait to buy 4 Move controllers and a new TV after I smash my foot into it.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Elija2 on January 13, 2013, 07:19:45 PM

Shaking to throw grenades is a terrible idea. Trying to scratch your back while in the middle of an online game could lead to you blowing up your teammates.
We'll never know if we don't give them the chance

I keep my controller stable when I scratch my back sir. Also, who shifts their controller straight downwards in sudden acceleration when they scratch themselves anyway?
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay