Game Dev Tycoon Fights Piracy in a Silly Way

Started by jkid101094, April 29, 2013, 11:09:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkid101094

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

TheGameNinja

While I like what they did and support their argument, there's a problem with what they how they did it. This game, from what I understand, had no kind of marketing prior to this. Instead of getting the game's name out there, they released it to torrent sites. Which is fine, that's definitely one way for a game to get noticed. But then to complain that the majority of their users are pirating a game that they hadn't even heard of until they saw it on the torrent site is not really fair.

SmashFinale

Quote from: TheGameNinja on April 29, 2013, 11:58:48 AM
While I like what they did and support their argument, there's a problem with what they how they did it. This game, from what I understand, had no kind of marketing prior to this. Instead of getting the game's name out there, they released it to torrent sites. Which is fine, that's definitely one way for a game to get noticed. But then to complain that the majority of their users are pirating a game that they hadn't even heard of until they saw it on the torrent site is not really fair.
The marketing IS the torrent.
It can backfire greatly, yes, but it still can get the game's name out.

TheGameNinja

Quote from: SmashFinale on April 29, 2013, 01:02:34 PM
The marketing IS the torrent.
It can backfire greatly, yes, but it still can get the game's name out.

Yeah, but how can they be complaining about the majority of their users playing pirated copies when their main marketing push has been distributing pirated copies.

Hakudamashi

Didn't pirating go down when Steam sales became a thing?
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

This game is awesome.

Dont invest into the Dreamcast though! lol

jkid101094

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

jkid101094

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

SmashFinale

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: jkid101094 on May 20, 2013, 12:47:44 PM
Right before the PS2, Gamecube, Xbox era.

If you're on a low-run, skip the N64 and go for PC.
Old handhelds are generally also just a thing when you can really afford it.

If you can afford it, develop a RPG for the Playstation- Playstation Gamers dig RPG's because of the release of Final Fantasy 7. Should make lots of money if its a good game.

Developing for N64 is a waste of money and time, unless your game is published by Nintendo.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay