What is Your Favourite Franchise and Why?

Started by Hakudamashi, May 30, 2013, 09:42:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hakudamashi

Which video game franchise are you most fond of? Which game franchise puts out the games that you consistently want to go out and buy and have a good time with? If your favourite game of all time just so happens to apart of a franchise, but you dislike the majority of the other games in that series, then it doesn't count, for example "I like Devil May Cry 3 so it's my favourite franchise, even though I dislike 1,2,4 and haven't played the reboot..."

For me, without a doubt, my favourite video game franchise of all time HAS to be Ratchet and Clank.
I love how it can make a cohesive narrative through all the games it puts out, whether they're important or not, I like the jokey tone of their stories but can still pull off a few heartwarming scenes here and there.
Of course I love the gunplay and it's genius control scheme.
The level designs and the looks of them always leave a good impression on me and there's alot of variety in the locales. I like the smooth difficulty curve that each game seems to have.
I love the COMPLETELY skippable tutorials that can be turned off from the get go.
And I also love the small gameplay shifts in-between levels so as to avoid monotony.

But what I love most is just the principle of it all, and this franchise is the standard I hold all franchises to. Every game is the same, of course, it's fun and functional and isn't broken,  so why change anything? Instead for each new game in the franchise they just add and improve the core mechanics in addition to just throwing new ideas here and there to keep each new game fresh and invigorating enough that the fans don't get bored with it, and at the same time keep everything the same so as to not alienate said fans.
Each game goes for that "Familiar but fresh" route, unlike other franchises these days that just do a complete overhaul and change everything to appeal to an audience who could hardly care less...
Well there are franchises out there that still do things properly like Fire Emblem and Uncharted but they're becoming so few and far between it makes me sad...
If you wanna implement a new concept, don't change an old IP, make a new one. Insomniac didn't give Spyro a gun and a robot buddy and tell him to collect bolts, they made ratchet and Clank instead, and Nintendo didn't give Mario and powersuit and sent him to some alien planet to go on a genocidal rampage, they made Metroid instead.

BUT I DIGRESS.

I started on the R&C franchise from Up Your Arsenal on the PS2, then A Crack in Time on the PS3 years later, then after some time I was able to sporadically play and beat each game in the franchise, and just recently got the HD Collection. It's really amazing how the franchise evolved from the turd that was the first one(I didn't even f*cking finish it that's how bad it was) into the masterpiece that was Crack in Time, and now it seems like it's going through some experimental phase, which is cool.

So what are your favourite video game franchises and why?
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Syno1

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

SmashFinale

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Hakudamashi

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on May 30, 2013, 01:38:01 PM
Couldn't say i have one.
I would reccomend some to you, but all of them are either Sony exclusive or JRPGs not on the Xbox...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: windlessusher on May 30, 2013, 01:41:54 PM
I would reccomend some to you, but all of them are either Sony exclusive or JRPGs not on the Xbox...

Well, i do plan on getting a PS3 and ze bunch of games i have in my wishlist... ^^

Hakudamashi

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on May 30, 2013, 01:53:51 PM
Well, i do plan on getting a PS3 and ze bunch of games i have in my wishlist... ^^
So when you do, please try the Ratchet & Clank series, cause I dunno if you've heard, but it's kinda my favourite franchise.
The Sly Cooper franchise is great too, fantastic even.

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

This topic might as well be titled, "Choose your favorite child."

:C

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: jkid101094 on May 30, 2013, 02:41:28 PM

Um... could you try anyway?

Heck, why don't you just cheat and list all of 'em and say they're "tied"
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: windlessusher on May 30, 2013, 02:06:17 PM
So when you do, please try the Ratchet & Clank series, cause I dunno if you've heard, but it's kinda my favourite franchise.
The Sly Cooper franchise is great too, fantastic even.

I was planning on getting the Ratchet & Clank Collection as well as Thieves in Time anyway. C=

Quote from: jkid101094 on May 30, 2013, 02:41:28 PM

I can only quote.
Then again, there are almost no franchises that i like the clear majority of games of - let alone call my "favourite"

Do self-contained series' in franchises count?
E.g how "Batman: Arkham..." is a series in itself - without needing to read / watch / play the rest?