RPG Maker 2 and Corkwal the Whale

Started by jkid101094, December 12, 2013, 04:56:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkid101094

You may have heard of the RPG Maker series of programs for the PC. These include (to my knowledge) RPG Maker 2000, RPG Maker 2003, RPG Maker XP, RPG Maker VX and RPG Maker VX Ace. Did you know, however, that Enterbrain also made two sister series to the well known programs on the DS and early Plaustation consoles? These include RPG Maker DS, RPG Maker DS+, RPG Maker (PSX), RPG Maker 2 (PS2) and RPG Maker 3 (PS2).

Of all of these I have tried all but three and my love for the series has grown exponentially. Until a few days ago I thought RPG Maker 3 was by far the best of the PS Series but I was wrong because RPG Maker 2 beats it down and pisses right in the mouth of it's corpse.

Now before people start asking, no, this is not a review. It is an overview. I want to tell you guys why this game has quickly become so dear to my heart and hope that you'll join me for some child like fun.

First thing I should mention is the character creation. When creating your characters you usually only get a choice from preset characters. It's the same thing here but with a very noticeable different.

"Is that an Imp!?"

"Oh no wait, it's just Nazo in his boxers again. Dude, you should really put a shirt on."

"That's better."

When creating a character you have the option to change a characters palette. What makes this so cool though is that sometimes the faces you can change are oddly arranged, meaning that, with a little imagination, you can turn a dancer into a prostitute or an Imp into Nazo if you wanted. Sadly you can't remove or swap parts of the models but you're given enough freedom for it not to matter as much.

This is Corkwal the Whale. Every year he grows a fresh new coat of cork that the villagers harvest to keep their beer fresh. He even gets paid fish by the pound!

The most fun comes out of RPG Maker 2 when you go in and do things on child like impulse instead of making a serious game. You can recolor almost anything from objects to enemies and even those range from grass to cars so there is a lot you can do while in the right mindset, and I didn't even mention the Minecraft-esque editor for buildings and dungeons yet I'm sure you'll enjoy them and everything else if you give the game a go.

Now for the question of the day. I love this game. Love love love it and I've been wanting to make something in it. Nothing serious, of course, just something spur of the moment until I go back to the Eternal Goddess Datesim or Pokebrawl. The only problem is that my PS2 emulator crashes whenever I try to edit the world or test the game so I'm stuck in a rut. I figured that this could be where you guys come in. We could make something incredibly stupid (in a good way) together. It'd be more then possible to pass a save around like a Vegas prostitute so I figure it might be something we can have fun doing together before we stream the finished product.

What do you guys think? Do you think you can run it? Are you willing to put in effort? Do you think I'm an idiot and that I should jump off a cliff? Well if you do fuck you but comment below anyway.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Wolfy

I can run it. I can put in effort. You shouldn't jump off a cliff.