Play DS and Wii Games Online After the Cutoff Date

Started by jkid101094, May 15, 2014, 08:38:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkid101094

So just like I figured people have been acting like crazy to gather all the info about Nintendo's servers as they can before wifi shuts down next week. One of these ways is Mr. Bean (otherwise known for his amazing work in the MKWii community) and WiiMM's new dedicated server.

All you have to do is register your friend code BEFORE wifi shuts down. Sadly this does mean that if your friend code changes anytime soon that you're SOL. This (as far as I know) only works for Wii games so if you were planning on playing 4th Gen Pokemon online after the cutoff date you're sadly boned.

I personally am going to gather as many of my FCs as I can and enter them just to see what works. I doubt anyone will still be playing PBR or TvC online after the cutoff date but it never hurts to try.

Edit: DS games apparently DO work so scratch what I said.

Also this should be moved to the Online Area because I'm a dumb.

Edit 2: Apparently you can get a new friend code from these servers by erasing your save data and reconnecting with a new one.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Watch this:

You should still be able to play online using the custom servers if you don't register your FC, you just won't be able to use your old FC. This would mean having to delete your old saves and unlocking everything again. This would be annoying for games like MKWii and Brawl (especially Brawl since the game only has one profile and you'd have to delete everything), but for some other games it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Also, you can't just add your own friend code. Because of the way the servers pull profile info, you and a friend have to add each others FCs in the game you want and then add your FCs to the new database. Otherwise you still won't be able to use your old FC.

And as far as I know, MKWii and Animal Crossing Wii are the only games that are 100% supported in the new server. I'm assuming they'll get Brawl to work too since it's such a popular game, but you may not be able to play any other games when NWFC shuts down.

I propose we set up a Sonic Zone Nintendo WiFi Game Day for games that we likely won't be able to play online ever again.

jkid101094

Apparently someone missed my edit.

And what do you mean by, "100% supported"? How exactly do you get anything other than "it connects" or "it doesn't"?

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Quote from: jkid101094 on May 15, 2014, 10:01:27 AM
Apparently someone missed my edit.

And what do you mean by, "100% supported"? How exactly do you get anything other than "it connects" or "it doesn't"?

I started working on my post before you edited yours.

You can't just connect to a completely different server and have everything work fine. They need testers to analyze the traffic to see what works and what doesn't. Then they can fix whatever problems the game has with the new server. MKWii got priority, and I guess Animal Crossing worked right out of the box. It's possible that other games will work without much testing, but don't get your hopes up to have every game supported.

Here's a post from that thread that shows what can go wrong:

Just did a test of going online in Mario Strikers Charged Football, it had an "Error getting stats" before I could get to the main WFC menu. I can only imagine that refers to the online leaderboard/your own personal wins/loss ratio, which is downloaded automatically every time you connect on that game, and it refuses to play online if the data isn't there. Ordinarily when you find an opponent, you get information about their rank, wins, losses, etc, so the game works out your own info when you login and again when you match to an opponent. So, it seems that this game will need a bit more work and some analysis before it can be used.

SmashFinale

Elija2

So...does anyone wanna play online one last time before almost every game gets shut down? We could play Mario Kart, Brawl, The Conduit Goldeneye, the DS Zelda games...

Come on, this will likely be the last time you'll get to play these games online.

SmashFinale

Quote from: Elija2 on May 15, 2014, 01:04:44 PM
So...does anyone wanna play online one last time before almost every game gets shut down? We could play Mario Kart, Brawl, The Conduit Goldeneye, the DS Zelda games...

Come on, this will likely be the last time you'll get to play these games online.
All those games except Conduit and GoldenEye. I suck at Zelda games btw but my MK and Brawl skills are- well... you know.

Elija2

Quote from: SmashFinale on May 17, 2014, 11:08:32 AM
All those games except Conduit and GoldenEye. I suck at Zelda games btw but my MK and Brawl skills are- well... you know.

Mario Kart it is. Who else wants to play? Come on, if you guys own a Wii then there's a 90% chance that you own Mario Kart.