Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors *Topic will contain spoilers*

Started by Proto_Blaze, August 08, 2011, 03:56:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proto_Blaze

What are your views on this? Honestly this is the best story in a game I have ever experienced. Truly flawless and gripping. I lost so much sleep on this game. I won't post any spoilers until the ball gets rolling but here is the gist of the game

"Nine people have been abducted by a mysterious kidnapper who calls themself "Zero." They find themselves on a ship— possibly a replica of the RMS Titanic— and are told that they have nine hours to escape before the ship sinks beneath the waves. Zero is running the "Nonary Game" - a game "where you will put your life on the line." The group is forced to split up into various subgroups and explore "numbered doors," behind which lie Zero's puzzles. Zero promises that escape lies behind a door numbered [9]. The characters must work together despite suspicions of each other to advance, as well as to discover Zero's motive and identity."

Elija2

I wholeheartedly agree. Definitely the best story I have ever read in any game. The way it uses the DS's two screens not only in the gameplay but in the story is just mind blowing. I hope we aren't the only two people on these forums who share an interest in this game, as it is an underrated classic that everyone should play.

This game is like a visual novel, but with escape-the-room puzzles in between. If you're not a fan of those kinds of puzzles, neither was I until I played this game. The way they incorporate the puzzles into the story is just genius. Not only that, but there are multiple choices that you can make in this game that determine which of the many endings you'll get. A lot of games throw in alternate endings to add replay value, but this game actually has a good reason for it because they work it into the amazing story. You actually have to get a certain "dead end" ending before you can get the true one. Even in the other endings you always learn something new about the characters and their backstory and they all work themselves into the plot in a way that really feels real. The music sucks you into the moment, whether it be sad or just downright creepy. 80% of this game is reading text however, but none of it is boring because the game always keeps you sucked in because you want to find out more about the story. The story is very mature (it earns it's M rating), but it never feels silly. For a game that's mostly text, the universal acclaim it has received certainly says a lot about it's story.

Better than Phoenix Wright, Final Fantasy, or whatever other games that claim to have a good story. Hell, it's even better than most books. You owe it to yourself to play this game. I don't care how you do it, just play it.

Tanassy

That actually does sound amazing. i really enjoy games that do that, and i also enjoy reading. I'll have to look this one up!

Dracoslythe

I saw this game in GameStop not too long ago.
I'm not really a puzzle game kind of person, so of course, I didn't bother playing it.

But, I'm always open to new things, and if everyone says it's as good as it is, I'll put that fact aside to try it.  I'm always up for games with good/mature storylines (brownie points if it's a dark storyline, which this seems to be).
And it's "visual novel-esque" which is a +1 for me.  I love visual novel games.
Same with the "alternate ending" thing.  That's another turn on for me.

Whelp.
Time to drag out the good ol' r4 from the graveyard.
I'll definitely be trying this game out soon.  :3

Tanassy

Weh..? No sale here?
*imports*

I watched a trailer, it looked like a dark Lost in Blue at first glance. xD

Dracoslythe

Quote from: Tana~ on August 08, 2011, 05:29:40 AM
Weh..? No sale here?
*imports*
Well that sucks.  B(
I love r4's  No worrying about regions and not being able to find the game 8D -slapped-

Tanassy

Quote from: Dracoslythe on August 08, 2011, 05:30:36 AM
Well that sucks.  B(
I love r4's  No worrying about regions and not being able to find the game 8D -slapped-
I can't use my old R4i with my 3DS. :C

Edit: Just bought it. Should arrive within the week.

Proto_Blaze

Quote from: Elija2 on August 08, 2011, 05:03:16 AM
I wholeheartedly agree. Definitely the best story I have ever read in any game. The way it uses the DS's two screens not only in the gameplay but in the story is just mind blowing. I hope we aren't the only two people on these forums who share an interest in this game, as it is an underrated classic that everyone should play.

This game is like a visual novel, but with escape-the-room puzzles in between. If you're not a fan of those kinds of puzzles, neither was I until I played this game. The way they incorporate the puzzles into the story is just genius. Not only that, but there are multiple choices that you can make in this game that determine which of the many endings you'll get. A lot of games throw in alternate endings to add replay value, but this game actually has a good reason for it because they work it into the amazing story. You actually have to get a certain "dead end" ending before you can get the true one. Even in the other endings you always learn something new about the characters and their backstory and they all work themselves into the plot in a way that really feels real. The music sucks you into the moment, whether it be sad or just downright creepy. 80% of this game is reading text however, but none of it is boring because the game always keeps you sucked in because you want to find out more about the story. The story is very mature (it earns it's M rating), but it never feels silly. For a game that's mostly text, the universal acclaim it has received certainly says a lot about it's story.

Better than Phoenix Wright, Final Fantasy, or whatever other games that claim to have a good story. Hell, it's even better than most books. You owe it to yourself to play this game. I don't care how you do it, just play it.

Just like you, this game got me into visual novels as well. The first ending I got was the sub ending... and by the time I got to the true ending I was like "omg they did not.. omg they did. woah.... dont do it!!! choke that b***... etc"

I actually went to gamestop the other day to buy 2 new copies... one to circulate among my close friends.. the other to remain sealed and unopened

TheGameNinja

^ THERE'S AN OTAKU RIGHT THERE! KONATA WOULD BE PROUD!! XD

I've wanted to get the game for awhile now. Maybe once I have some cash...

Tanassy

I'm just pissed it didn't come out here. (Unless it did and just isn't in any of my stores..?)
Oh well, some Aussie ebayer had a bunch of new copies~

Proto_Blaze

Quote from: Tana~ on August 08, 2011, 07:44:50 AM
I'm just pissed it didn't come out here. (Unless it did and just isn't in any of my stores..?)
Oh well, some Aussie ebayer had a bunch of new copies~

That sucks.... this is a game that deserves a spot in ever DS owner's collection

Tanassy

Quote from: Proto_Blaze on August 08, 2011, 09:13:49 AM
That sucks.... this is a game that deserves a spot in ever DS owner's collection
I'd never even heard of it until you made this thread. Which by the way, i thank you for~

jkid101094

I've wanted to try it ever since Eli-started flaunting it in his sig. :[

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Quote from: jkid101094 on August 08, 2011, 09:47:35 AM
I've wanted to try it ever since Eli-started flaunting it in his sig. :[

That was months ago. Shame on you for not acting on it sooner.

Proto_Blaze

I started playing it right after the first pre order watches ran out... then chose not to get the watch on the second shipping cause I didn't want to re-buy the game... big mistake... And if you want to try it... the official site has a demo http://www.aksysgames.com/999/pages/demo (you play in the browser)... Also it is an alternate intro to the game